Having a pool built and need advice

The part about "Whatever is scheduled will happen when you schedule it." There are exceptions to this rule. If the system is in Spa mode with the Spa running, it will NOT activate the Spillover, even if it's scheduled to do so.

OK I see. I don't have a spa. I was unaware that the scheduler will not activate a scheduled event if something else was active. That's new to me. Regardless of what is currently running on my system whatever is scheduled will override what is running.

Reactions: dfwnoob
For pretty much everything else, it's 100% right. That seems to be the only time the rule doesn't apply, at least that I'm aware of. I was just commenting since that's what voidpointer was concerned about at the time.

My filter pump is not on a schedule. It's on 24/7

Filter pump needs to be on a schedule for the Aqualink to restart it.

When the Aqualink restarts it will resume any schedules that should be running at the restart time.

Reactions: voidpointer
As Allen pointed out, the pump must be on the schedule in order to automate properly. Something like this:

2023-04-20_12-45-36.jpg

The pump will then run at whatever speed setting is set for "Pool" in the VSP Speed Setup screen any time some other schedule isn't active.

Ok a little annoying that I have to put it on the schedule, but not a huge deal. Why do you have a 5 minute gap where the pump isn't scheduled? Won't that turn it off and cause unnecessary priming?

If I remember correctly, you can't actually set something to run a full 24 hours in Aqualink, but it's been a little while since I've messed with my pump settings on that screen. My pump tends to get a big air bubble after running most of the day at very low speed, so I'd rather it reprime anyway.

If I remember correctly, you can't actually set something to run a full 24 hours in Aqualink, but it's been a little while since I've messed with that screen. My pump tends to get a big air bubble after running most of the day at very low speed, so I'd rather it reprime anyway.
That explains why I have such a big air bubble that I can't even see what's in the pump basket :D

It's very common for VSPs to do it. Mine is probably made a little worse due to a very slight air leak on the suction side since I used the original old unions from my first pump when I installed the new VSP. Quick 3 minute prime gets it right back to normal again for the day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
While we're discussing priming... I lowered the priming speed a little. Mostly this was an arbitrary choice, I had a gut feeling that letting the pump run at max was both 1) unnecessary and 2) potentially causing unnecessary stress/wear. I'm not sure if any of that is true, so I want to ask about it here. At the current speed my pump has no issues priming. Screenshot of the current speed is below. Should I keep it how I have it? Change it? If so, to what?
1682015992791.png

While we're discussing priming... I lowered the priming speed a little. Mostly this was an arbitrary choice, I had a gut feeling that letting the pump run at max was both 1) unnecessary and 2) potentially causing unnecessary stress/wear. I'm not sure if any of that is true, so I want to ask about it here. At the current speed my pump has no issues priming. Screenshot of the current speed is below. Should I keep it how I have it? Change it? If so, to what?
View attachment 484454

1 minute is not long enough for me it needs the full 3 minutes (unless it is just restarting without opening the lid). These pumps are designed to run at 3450 all day every day for years. The priming isn't going to hurt the pump at all.

FYI: Mine is set for 2500 which I believe is the default.

Agreed, I kept the default 3 minute prime for when I open up my pump to clean the basket. I don't remember what the original prime speed was set to.

Agreed, I kept the default 3 minute prime for when I open up my pump to clean the basket. I don't remember what the original prime speed was set to.
I never changed the priming time. I assume `:01` is minutes not seconds. I am not sure what is factory default versus what my PB set it to.

My pump model is in my signature. Should I set it to speed 3500 max, prime speed 3500, and set to :03? I'm not sure how you tell how long the priming speed needs to be. :01 seems to work for me, but again maybe I'm not seeing an issue.

The settings I have are 3450 max, 3450 prime for 3 minutes. I'm fairly sure 3 minute prime is the default.

It would probably prime at a lower speed just fine, but that's just where I've left it.

I never changed the priming time. I assume `:01` is minutes not seconds. I am not sure what is factory default versus what my PB set it to.

My pump model is in my signature. Should I set it to speed 3500 max, prime speed 3500, and set to :03? I'm not sure how you tell how long the priming speed needs to be. :01 seems to work for me, but again maybe I'm not seeing an issue.

If you are able to prime in 1 minute then you are golden. If it stops before you are primed, then you need to bump the time. Speed doesn't really matter as long as it primes. I have a decent distance to go so when I open the top of my pump to clean the basket, it takes over a minute for it to suck water from the skimmers and start up.

Yeah I looked at my pump's user manual and the max listed there is 3450. I guess I'll leave everything alone since it's working fine... this was a good learning experience though.

Yeah if I do default it sets priming speed to 2500. I thought the desired prime speed was max speed.

EDIT: Ok I re-read your post. I got confused. You did say 2500 was the default. Well, I was trying to put it back the way it was when the PB handed it over. I have never seen it run at the default settings. Seems like they set it up to prime faster for shorter time, rather than prime slower for a longer time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.