Have I messed up

Hi everyone I have been watching a few threads to see if I could get my questions answered by that alone but as fate would have it I have a question I really needed to ask.
I have a very Green Pool can not see the bottom anywhere in the pool. I have cleaned the bottom as best I can without being able to see the bottom. Now when I dip my net into the pool I get a clean net every time. The next step I did was vac to waste then swept the pool down and vac again. I then backwashed the filter (sand filter) and have great circulation. I have a TF 100 test kit so I did the initial test with these results

FC-5.5
PH-7.4
CC-2
CYA-0
I have a vinyl pool so I did not check for CH. I have been following a post and maybe have jumped the gun because on the post one of the moderators mentioned that you could start raising the FC while raising the CYA. Now here is where I may have boogered up I added 8 lbs Stabalizer per directions slowly in the skimmer ( I didn't see the sock idea in time) SO have I messed up? If so what should my next move be to clear this pool up and get me out of hot water with my grandkids LOL. Thank ya'll so much in advance I love this community. Johnny B

Now here is where I may have boogered up I added 8 lbs Stabalizer per directions slowly in the skimmer ( I didn't see the sock idea in time) SO have I messed up?
Yes, I'm afraid so. What probably happened is after you dumped the granules in the skimmer, they went to the filter. Once you backwashed ...... poof ...... a lot of it probably went to waste. :hammer: 8 pounds should've increased the CYA to about 35. A small amount of stabilizer "might" have been retained, but it's hard to know for sure.

You definitely need stabilizer (CYA) in the water. What you might do is use the sock method to add about 20 ppm of CYA (about 4.5 pounds). Squeeze that sock often once it's socked and the stabilizer will come out quicker. That way you know for sure you have at least 20 CYA. You can test tomorrow again to see if any of the old stuff was still there and added to the new 20 CYA from today. If not, if it's still at 20 tomorrow, then add another 2 lbs to get you up to a CYA of 30. If after tomorrow you test and it's already 30 or more, that's great. Adjust your FC level as noted on the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

For today, get that sock going and simply increase the FC to "12" and do your best to maintain it at 12 for the duration of the SLAM. The only change to that FC might be later if you learn the CYA was higher than 30, then you would need to increase the FC, but we can help you with that later if that happens. Hope that helps.

As long as you still have good flow you have not really messed up. The CYA is not sitting your filter, if you baskwash, you will lose some of the CYA. And it may take longer to dissolve as the flow rates are lower in the filter.

It looks like what you added should get you up to 37ppm of CYA. Just follow the SLAM process assuming your CYA is at about 30ppm for now and then retest the CYA in a week (since we will not know how long it takes to dissolve in the filter).

I may have been unclear in my above post so let me try to clear this up. I have not backwashed since i put the stabalizer in the skimmer. I just poured it in straight I didn't put it in a white sock. I did add the amount of clorine that pool math said using the 30 CYA as a guide. I hope this clears the other post up. What would be the best next step for me knowing this new info. I just took another reading test results as follows
FC-11
CC-1
PH-7.2
TA-100
did not check CYA
Thanks Johnny B.

Since you dosed for a CYA a little over 30, for now consider your CYA 30 and SLAM with an FC of 12. That should work nicely. No need to add any more stabilizer at this point. In time, the granules will dissolve. It will just take longer. That's it. Now you continue your SLAM. Maintain it as best as you can.

Follow SLAM process assuming your CYA will get to your target. Hopefully you do not need to backwash for a week.

We suggest cleaning the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

OK I started the slam yesterday I did a test at 6:00 am FC was down to 8 ppm from 11 ppm ph was 7.2 so I went to pool math an added the 133 oz 10% clorine.
I did another test at 8:00 am FC at 14 and this time I checked CC and was at .5 ppm I also did a CYA test and it was 50ppm.
I don't want to do any unnecessary test. What would be a good time to do another test being the FC is so high?
I also swept and vacuumed from 8:30 untill 10:am as well.
Thanks Johnny B

You need to test often at the beginning to get a feel for how quickly your pool is going to be losing the chlorine. If you would have done it this morning before the sun came up that would have been an oclt.

Since you're in slam mode and you just started, it is recommended that you test your FC every couple of hours to make sure you maintain your shock level based on you cya. Since you say your FC is high, it will eventual drift down, but you want to monitor your FC at all times being that you're in Slam Mode. You don't want your FC to drop below shock level. Also, brush the walls and vacuum while in slam mode every day... (get behind the ladders or underneath it - if you have any ladders - algae like to hide there). I see you're doing that already so that's good.

OK I started the slam yesterday I did a test at 6:00 am FC was down to 8 ppm from 11 ppm ph was 7.2 so I went to pool math an added the 133 oz 10% clorine.
I did another test at 8:00 am FC at 14 and this time I checked CC and was at .5 ppm I also did a CYA test and it was 50ppm.
I don't want to do any unnecessary test. What would be a good time to do another test being the FC is so high?
I also swept and vacuumed from 8:30 untill 10:am as well.
Thanks Johnny B

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No I am on city water. I just took my 4th test of the day here are the results.
FC-13 ( down .5ppm from test at lunch )
CC-1 (up .5ppm from lunch )
PH-7.8 (up from 7.2 at lunch)
TA-100 (the same)
CYA-50 (the same)
I see a sliight difference in color so I hope I am on the right track.
Should I worry about PH or just wait till after SLAM. I did add a half a gallon 10% clorine for the night to make sure i did not drop below 12ppm shock level.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Johnny B.

Thanks I sure will. I hade to adjust my FC because I read the CYA chart wrong I thought it was 12ppm when in fact it is 16ppm so I am prob a day behind now.
I put in another 2 gallons to bring shock level above 16 for the night . I will check again in the morning. Quick question do you think I need to put more than the 133 ounces that pool math said use because I put the rest of that 2nd gallon in hoping the FC would not fall below the shock level tonight.

Johnny, with a CYA of 50, your SLAM (sock) FC level should actually be "20". See [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] So feel free to bump it up to 20 now and do your best to maintain 20 throughout the SLAM. No need to overshoot if you are way from home. Just bump it up when you get back as needed. The PoolMath is your friend. Just be sure that you have the correct pool size (gallons) at the top, and the correct percentage of bleach (WEIGHT) entered.

I have a question. During SLAM if your FC ever goes below shock level do you have to start all over. How much clorine over shock level do you need to allow for loss at night during SLAM. I watched my loss during the day yesterday and tried to calculate how much clorine to add to get me through the night with pool math. I got up this morning and it was 1.5ppm lower than shock level. Is it ok to be above shock leevel or do I do my best to maintain the exact schock level?
Thanks Johnny B.

There is no reason to aim for higher than shock level. Just dose up to shock level every time you test and it is below. There is some buffer built into the numbers so that you're not really losing progress if you're a little below

Thank you that is good to know that way I can save on clorine. I just tested again and now I am at 21ppm with a CYA at 50ppm and CC is at 1ppm that is all I checked this go round. I will check every couple of hours during the day and try to maintain the 20ppm per CYA/clorine chart.
Thanks Johnny B.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.