Jun 18, 2020
Phoenixville PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
HI all,

So landscapers are coming next week and have an awesome plan in place thanks to all of your suggestions, we have the testing kit (the big mama jamma), all the recommended chemicals (not too many) etc. some gadgets (the wall mount skimmer) I have a few questions/recommendations needed.

1) Eventually I will be getting a 3/4 deck installed around outside (next spring project) but for now, I hear the stairs provided are not sturdy. I have a 6'5" 295lb BF and 21 yo, 18 yo and 10 yo boys.... what do you recommend? and should I purchase the pad that the stair legs sit on?

2) I only have the filtration system that came with package included 110-120V Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System (pump flow rate: 2,650 Gph) with Hydro Aeration® Technology for easy maintenance. I have not decided if I should transfer to salt (i understand a chlorine pool IS a salt pool) but if I do, what other filter/pump do you recommend?

3) sand for filter- silica #20 approx 70lbs??? Correct??

4) once I fill- I do not put anything into pool. I test and then input the numbers into the app (I paid for the better one) but also place them here? I am so nervous about the chemical aspect as I was a competitive swimmer for 15 years and shocks and chlorine dumps were regular :/. Looking forward to having a clean pool with the minimal amount of chemical (I don't mind putting in the work)

I am sure I will come up with more as I want to do this right the first time. Spending a small fortune on landscaping/leveling so it NEEDS to be done right ha ha ha

1. The ladder that comes with these pools is a joke. Supposedly it supports 300 lbs, but I highly doubt that's true. You can get a Confer ladder that genuinely supports 400 lbs for around $200 and know it's not going to fail catastrophically.
  2. Get a 1.5 hp pump and sand filter combo. That dinky pump won't keep your pool clean.
  3. Depends on the size of the filter you get and what the mfr says.
  4. You'll want to put 30 - 40 ppm CYA in there, and bring your FC up to about 5 ppm. Check FC/CYA Levels to see what FC levels you need to maintain -- shoot for the high number and never let it fall below the low number. Then you can fiddle with the pH and TA of necessary. Feel free to post here with a full set of test results of you're not sure. Use PoolMath to figure out how much chemical to add to your pool.

1. The ladder that comes with these pools is a joke. Supposedly it supports 300 lbs, but I highly doubt that's true. You can get a Confer ladder that genuinely supports 400 lbs for around $200 and know it's not going to fail catastrophically.
  2. Get a 1.5 hp pump and sand filter combo. That dinky pump won't keep your pool clean.
  3. Depends on the size of the filter you get and what the mfr says.
  4. You'll want to put 30 - 40 ppm CYA in there, and bring your FC up to about 5 ppm. Check FC/CYA Levels to see what FC levels you need to maintain -- shoot for the high number and never let it fall below the low number. Then you can fiddle with the pH and TA of necessary. Feel free to post here with a full set of test results of you're not sure. Use PoolMath to figure out how much chemical to add to your pool.
Thank you so much. So you think the sand filter that comes with the pool isn't great? I thought people said the newer Ultra XR were better. And if I wanted to turn it into a salt water pool- what other unit would I need in addition to the one I currently have. I hope I am asking this correctly. Thanks again for helping a newbie out

only have the filtration system that came with package included 110-120V Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System (pump flow rate: 2,650 Gph) with Hydro Aeration® Technology for easy maintenance. I have not decided if I should transfer to salt (i understand a chlorine pool IS a salt pool) but if I do, what other filter/pump do you recommend?

I had an older version of that pump, moves plenty of water and filters fine. I only had to backwash mine about once a season. Higher capacity filter may be nice in the future, but there’s nothing wrong with what you got.

I ran a SWCG for a while. Because of my water chemistry I had to clean the scale off the cell relatively frequently. I have switched to just manually chlorinating my pool now, I’m happy with that. I don’t mind going down in the evening and doing it, kind of relaxing.

Good luck finding a ladder. I’ve had one on order for over a month and been looking for alternatives, everything sold out and back ordered. Many above ground pool ladders are meant to be secured to the top rail of an above ground pool for stability. VinylWorks makes one with an optional stabilizer that goes on the outside of the pool for “soft side” type pools, SLA-W for white. But they’re back ordered everywhere....

Reactions: nantucker22
Also the sand capacity will be in the manual that comes with the filter. It’s also usually on the nameplate on the filter somewhere. I don’t want to misquote the capacity to you, I’d check the documentation you have.

Generally if you go to a pool store or a store with dedicated pool pump sand, it will be the right stuff. But yes I believe you quoted the correct technical specifications.

Also the sand capacity will be in the manual that comes with the filter. It’s also usually on the nameplate on the filter somewhere. I don’t want to misquote the capacity to you, I’d check the documentation you have.

Generally if you go to a pool store or a store with dedicated pool pump sand, it will be the right stuff. But yes I believe you quoted the correct technical specifications.
Thank you so much for all of the answers you gave. I am thinking I will stay with what I have this year and see how it goes. I have found a few ladder systems that i think may work but have no idea. Maybe I will make something for the time being this year or just use the flimsy ones until better comes in stock. I'll find a way to get in ha ha ha

HI all,

So landscapers are coming next week and have an awesome plan in place thanks to all of your suggestions, we have the testing kit (the big mama jamma), all the recommended chemicals (not too many) etc. some gadgets (the wall mount skimmer) I have a few questions/recommendations needed.

1) Eventually I will be getting a 3/4 deck installed around outside (next spring project) but for now, I hear the stairs provided are not sturdy. I have a 6'5" 295lb BF and 21 yo, 18 yo and 10 yo boys.... what do you recommend? and should I purchase the pad that the stair legs sit on?

2) I only have the filtration system that came with package included 110-120V Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System (pump flow rate: 2,650 Gph) with Hydro Aeration® Technology for easy maintenance. I have not decided if I should transfer to salt (i understand a chlorine pool IS a salt pool) but if I do, what other filter/pump do you recommend?

4) once I fill- I do not put anything into pool. I test and then input the numbers into the app (I paid for the better one) but also place them here? I am so nervous about the chemical aspect as I was a competitive swimmer for 15 years and shocks and chlorine dumps were regular :/. Looking forward to having a clean pool with the minimal amount of chemical (I don't mind putting in the work)

I am sure I will come up with more as I want to do this right the first time. Spending a small fortune on landscaping/leveling so it NEEDS to be done right ha ha ha
I'm 220 and used the intex ladder for about a month until I finished my deck, it worked for me but it is a little sketchy.

The pump that came with my 12x24 was serviceable and worked ok. It recently started getting loud and warm so I replaced it yesterday after a little over a year in use. I have a 21 inch sand filter and 1.5 hp pump now, its a huge improvement and now I have a lazy river lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm 220 and used the intex ladder for about a month until I finished my deck, it worked for me but it is a little sketchy.

The pump that came with my 12x24 was serviceable and worked ok. It recently started getting loud and warm so I replaced it yesterday after a little over a year in use. I have a 21 inch sand filter and 1.5 hp pump now, its a huge improvement and now I have a lazy river lol.
NOW I'm wondering if I should just go ahead an get that. Can you tell me if I would have to cut anything or get anything extra (other than what would come with the new pump) to get it to work with my intex 32' x 16' x 52" Ultra XR pool????

Do you have 1 1/2 inch hoses and fittings? If so, you won't need anything, just hook up the hoses and go. If your hoses are 1 1/4 inch, then you'll need 1 1/2 inch to 1 1/4 inch adapters, Teflon tape, and hose clamps. You'll also need more sand, depending on the size of your new sand filter.

Getting a real pump and sand filter are definitely the way to go!

Last edited:
Do you have 1 1/2 inch hoses and fittings? If so, you won't need anything, just hook up the hoses and go. If your hoses are 1 1/4 inch, then you'll need 1 1/2 inch to 1 1/4 inch adapters, Teflon tape, and hose clamps. You'll also need more sand, depending on the size of your new sand filter.

Getting a real pump and sand filter are definitely the way to go!
So I'm not sure what size hose fittings I have as everything is still in box but I do know from the box it states it a 14 diameter tank, water flow 2,800 GPH, flow rate 2,150 gph

Like I said, I am paying a ton to get the ground prepped and everything set up right, I just don't want to have to keep on getting things.
I decided to not try and cut a skimmer system out through the pool (this year at least) but bought the deluxe wall mount surface skimmer, bought the XL testing kit with the whale skimmer thingy (wink wink), have a great solar cover, and all chemicals I may meed (TFP approved). I have no issue buying a new unit but I want it to be a sand filter. DO I buy ONE thing to replace what was in the box? I am so confused for some reason on this sand filter/water pump etc.

You can measure the end of a hose, the inside diameter. If it's around 1 1/4 you need the conversion fittings. If it's near 1 1/2 you don't. These are the fittings I'm talking about
You wrap Teflon tape around the threaded end, screw it hand tight into the 1 1/2" fittings on the pump, then put the hose over the other end and clamp it down with a ring clamp. Do the same thing on the sand filter. You only need these if your hoses and fittings on the pool are 1 1 /4" .

You can measure the end of a hose, the inside diameter. If it's around 1 1/4 you need the conversion fittings. If it's near 1 1/2 you don't. These are the fittings I'm talking about
You wrap Teflon tape around the threaded end, screw it hand tight into the 1 1/2" fittings on the pump, then put the hose over the other end and clamp it down with a ring clamp. Do the same thing on the sand filter. You only need these if your hoses and fittings on the pool are 1 1 /4" .
Thanks

Eventually you might want to install 1.5" inch fittings on the pool and get 1.5" hoses because bigger means more water flow. There are tons of videos on YouTube that show how to do it, and we'll also help as much as possible. But don't worry about that now!

Eventually you might want to install 1.5" inch fittings on the pool and get 1.5" hoses because bigger means more water flow. There are tons of videos on YouTube that show how to do it, and we'll also help as much as possible. But don't worry about that now!
That will probably be next summer....I just want to swim :) How is this one:
1593291345856.png
  • Six-position 1-1/2 in. multiport valve
  • Self-priming Dynamo pump in 1HP rating
  • Unique process creates a one-piece, non-corrosive tank of superior strength and durability even in the most demanding of applications
  • Combination water and sand drain makes servicing and winterizing fast and easy
  • Unionized Pump to Filter connection

That will probably be next summer....I just want to swim :) How is this one:
View attachment 149690
  • Six-position 1-1/2 in. multiport valve
  • Self-priming Dynamo pump in 1HP rating
  • Unique process creates a one-piece, non-corrosive tank of superior strength and durability even in the most demanding of applications
  • Combination water and sand drain makes servicing and winterizing fast and easy
  • Unionized Pump to Filter connection

Pentair 1 HP Pump and 19 Inches Sand Dollar Filter System - Pnsd0040de1160 _guessing this would help :)

You need adapters for the intex proprietary fittinga. 40mm to 1.5 inch, the you can go to 2 inch if need be with standard pvc fittings.

Attachments

• 20200627_170525.jpg
    20200627_170525.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 3

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.