Has anyone tried this pump

lungs414

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 18, 2012
Eastern Long Island,New York
From a company in California. Been thinking of getting a backup pump just in case. My Pentair this weekend was making a funny noise and I would like to be prepared with a backup just in case. A Pentair replacement is about 80-90% more than this.
Thanks
Rich

From a company in California. Been thinking of getting a backup pump just in case. My Pentair this weekend was making a funny noise and I would like to be prepared with a backup just in case. A Pentair replacement is about 80-90% more than this.
Thanks
Rich

The pump (wet end) itself is a Waterway Champion, very good pump. The motor pictured is a Nidec Ecotech EZ. They may come with that, or since that motor has been superseded, a Nidec Neptune, both good as well, just not mainstream. Emerson motors are now Nidec. Advantage Manufacturing has been around for a long time.

Last edited:
you have a 1 yr warranty and $39 for an add'l yr. For warranty claims, you have to ship it to CA for repair...how long does that take? What are the costs yr 2+ if you ship to get repaired on your dime? Might be 1/2 the price of the pump...one more repair yr 3, you are now at $2000, plus all the time out of shipping and repair...

I would say it might be ok for those close by...do not know if they have dealers or remote service centers

Reactions: lungs414
If all you're looking for is a backup pump, the pump linked below may be a good option for you. It's received some positive reviews on the site and seems to be a good value.

Reactions: lungs414
Thanks you all make good points, it seems like for a 3 - 4 month season back up parts are the way to go for me. I just swapped out the multiport valve for a new one I had on the shelf. I had the rebuild kit , and cleaned up all the rough edges and put it back together for next time. I just happened to get a Dohertys flyer in the mail today, will see what they have. A lot of good points made by you folks, appreciate the info.

Last edited:
A 3HP VSP for right under $500 bucks? It would seem you could buy 2 of them and $99/pump more for 3 yr warranty, so $1200. If pump A broke, then you could send it in and install pump B. The real issue is do these pumps have any chronic or fatal designs that would have pumps A&B in the shop often?

But, I read the warranty and pump is only covered the first 90 days for all, but you have to ship prepaid. Even if under 1 yr warranty or extended up to 3, at this point 91+ days, you still pay for shipping but only the parts are covered, if they agree. You pay for all labor from 91st day on...

Bottom line, pools are NOT cheap. But if you try to go cheap, I believe you will have other issues besides the prime issue, like a green pool, a lot of slamming and OCLT testing, etc....you have to factor in the TCO to make it apples to apples...

Saw a video on youtube. It looks like the CaliMar is identical to the circupool.
It is. There are several retailers that sell the same pump under different brand names. They vary widely in price and warranty, but the pump is the same. CircuPool sells an automation interface for the pump, but I haven't seen anyone try it out on a non-CP pump yet.

Here's a list retailers that market the pump...

I ordered it yesterday from the link you posted yesterday for $489. Then over night I got an email saying its back ordered and they cant give me an estimate of delivery. If I want to cancel let them know within 72 hours. I'll check your list and see if I see a better option. I don't mind waiting as long as I don't get charged until they can ship it.
Thanks again for the info.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I ordered it yesterday from the link you posted yesterday for $489. Then over night I got an email saying its back ordered and they cant give me an estimate of delivery. If I want to cancel let them know within 72 hours. I'll check your list and see if I see a better option. I don't mind waiting as long as I don't get charged until they can ship it.
Thanks again for the info.
Bummer. I know it was available earlier this spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.