Has anyone ever used this to increase CYA?

I have been seeing a lot of "pod" pool products lately. I guess that is the newest thing??? How much does this cost? An old sock is cheap so..............If it compares in cost to the sock and powder method then I would be willing to try it.

Kim:kim:

$4 a pound for pure CYA granules is a good price. You can get large quantities online for less per pound, but at big box stores the $4 per pound is average.

I didn't know they made those pods! Thanks for sharing! HTH CYA granules always dissolved perfectly for everyone I suggested them to, even in very cold water - but may big box retalers have stopped carrying them and instead offer the inferior dissolving (in our experiences) Clorox brand cya granules. I'll try the pods next time I need some CYA, probably early summer.

Also, if you're an Amazon Smile buyer ... even though it isn't as inexpensive as the HTH, you're also safe to buy the Pool Mate 1-2604B Stabilizer and Conditioner for Swimming Pools since it dissolves perfectly also. Available in 1.75, 4, 7, 16, and 28 pounds.
(Ships from and sold by Amazon.com so it qualifies for an Amazon smile donation to Trouble Free Pool at no additional expense to you!)
Learn more: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00J7L47HA/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_l23sCbMX9CCMS

Just a reminder - don't eat (or let kids eat) pods of any kind.

Reactions: gonfishin
Bear in mind that this is not like a sock in the skimmer, the pod will dissolve and dump all of the CYA down the skimmer. The CYA will then sit in the filter slowly dissolving. Part of the reason for the sock method is because with the traditional "dump it in the skimmer" method prevents you from backwashing or cleaning your filter for a week or so.

Seems like a solution looking for a problem, but HTH makes perfectly fine CYA so if you like the looks of it then by all means.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm assuming that this small amount of CYA at a time in the skimmer is pretty minimal risk to damaging anything as long as everything stays running for 24 hours after dissolving is complete? Sound right?

Friendly reminder - nothing is safer than the sock method in front of the return jet :)

I didn't know they made those pods! Thanks for sharing! HTH CYA granules always dissolved perfectly for everyone I suggested them to, even in very cold water - but may big box retalers have stopped carrying them and instead offer the inferior dissolving (in our experiences) Clorox brand cya granules. I'll try the pods next time I need some CYA, probably early summer.

Also, if you're an Amazon Smile buyer ... even though it isn't as inexpensive as the HTH, you're also safe to buy the Pool Mate 1-2604B Stabilizer and Conditioner for Swimming Pools since it dissolves perfectly also. Available in 1.75, 4, 7, 16, and 28 pounds.
(Ships from and sold by Amazon.com so it qualifies for an Amazon smile donation to Trouble Free Pool at no additional expense to you!)
Learn more: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00J7L47HA/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_l23sCbMX9CCMS

Just a reminder - don't eat (or let kids eat) pods of any kind.

I was buying some bleach at Wallyworld and just stumbled across these. They seemed like a good idea so I figured I’d give it a shot. I’m glad to hear they are good and decently priced.

I don’t understand why anyone ever thought eating laundry detergent was a good idea. Luckily my kids are older and a little smarter than that!

Can’t wait to do a CYA test and actually get a reading.

This is simply dumping 1/2 lb of CYA power into the skimmer at one time.

When I originally read this I thought this was predisolved CYA in liquid form in the POD. That would be a real benefit to rapidly getting CYA into the water.

If the pod just dissolves and releases power that still needs to be dissolved I see less of a benefit. You can take a bag of CYA and put 1/2 lbs at a time in the skimmer and accomplish the same thing. It has all the drawbacks of why the sock method is recommended.

Bear in mind that this is not like a sock in the skimmer, the pod will dissolve and dump all of the CYA down the skimmer. The CYA will then sit in the filter slowly dissolving. Part of the reason for the sock method is because with the traditional "dump it in the skimmer" method prevents you from backwashing or cleaning your filter for a week or so.

Seems like a solution looking for a problem, but HTH makes perfectly fine CYA so if you like the looks of it then by all means.

My pool is newly completed. It was filled a week ago. The cartridge was cleaned on Monday when we got pool school and it’s a cartridge so no need to backwash. I’ll definitely run the pump for the next 24hrs to be sure it’s not sitting in there.

This is simply dumping 1/2 lb of CYA power into the skimmer at one time.

When I originally read this I thought this was predisolved CYA in liquid form in the POD. That would be a real benefit to rapidly getting CYA into the water.

If the pod just dissolves and releases power that still needs to be dissolved I see less of a benefit. You can take a bag of CYA and put 1/2 lbs at a time in the skimmer and accomplish the same thing. It has all the drawbacks of why the sock method is recommended.

I am brand new to this and still learning. So please, bear with me. Does it matter if it’s dissolving in the filter or in the skimmer so long as it’s dissolving in the water?.

If the raw CYA goes to the filter a portion of it will never dissolve. It will sit in the dead space of your filter housing. May not be much, but realize it does happen.

I am brand new to this and still learning. So please, bear with me. Does it matter if it’s dissolving in the filter or in the skimmer so long as it’s dissolving in the water?.

CYA is slow to dissolve. When added to the skimmer it is immediately sucked into the filter. You cannot see when the CYA is dissolved. The solid granules can stick to the filter for quite a while while you wait for your CYA test to rise.

The sock method gets the CYA dissolved as quickly as possible. You can help it dissolve by squeezing the sock occasionally. And you can see when it is all dissolved in the water. It more effectively gets the CYA working in your water.

BUT you are helping us by having this new item. If you would take detailed notes about how it goes. Things like:
-How long did it take to dissolve?
-What happened when it did? Did all of the powder dump out or did it kind of ooze out?
-Did you find any remanets of the pod in your filter when you cleaned it? (know this will not be known for a while as your filter was just cleaned)

I see. Thanks for the knowledge. I guess if I have to add anymore I’ll put in a sock.

BUT you are helping us by having this new item. If you would take detailed notes about how it goes. Things like:
-How long did it take to dissolve?
-What happened when it did? Did all of the powder dump out or did it kind of ooze out?
-Did you find any remanets of the pod in your filter when you cleaned it? (know this will not be known for a while as your filter was just cleaned)

I did pay some attention when I dropped it in. I watched it slowly sink in the skimmer. The pod didn’t disintegrate immediately. It seemed to dissolve slowly. I watched it for just a little bit then I went to brush the plaster. I checked it just now and it is almost completely dissolved. There is just a small amount in the skimmer and I put it in about an hour and a half ago. It was only 8oz though. The directions say to only add one 8oz pod at a time and don’t add another one till the previous one is completely dissolved. So far I have put in one pound. I put in one pod this morning then went to bed(I worked last night). Then one this afternoon. I will put in one more tonight when this one is gone.

Does pump speed affect the rate it dissolves? Right now my pump is running on low.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.