Has anyone done a Pool Kit Replacement?

x2rider

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 19, 2011
Bartlesville, OK
We currently have an 18x36 inground pool that was installed I believe in 1978 by the owner and a neighbor. When we bought the house in 2008, and replaced the liner in 2009, the liner guy said this would be the last liner for this pool because the metal walls were deteriorating. Here we are 11 years later, and the walls are starting to move in, you can see the gaps on the coping, and we have a leak somewhere on the skimmer side. Not sure if it's the skimmer hole, or the pipe underneath. They used some of that black pipe which can curve, but they rely on clamps, so they can be a possible source of leak.

I found sites like poolwarehouse and royalswimmingpools that have DIY kits the same size as we have now.

Has anyone removed an existing kit, and replaced it with a new one?
I am in Oklahoma, so I'm not sure what the rules are. Who would be the right people to ask about permits, pool inspection, etc since this is a replacement, and not a new install.

I'm thinking that it would be doable doing the following steps:

Add a french drain uphill from the pool to reduce ground water/pressure on the wall
Use a polymer wall instead of steel wall due to using salt water generator

Remove concrete around the pool
Remove gravel behind the existing wall
Remove the existing wall
Add the new wall, some ground work may need to be redone since the radius on the corners will be larger
Replumb
Replace concrete

I have a concrete guy, so that shouldn't be an issue, in fact a few years ago, we redid the concrete because of large cracks.
I'll talk to him to see if his guys could do the digging labor.

Attachments

• IMG_6411.png
    IMG_6411.png
    464 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6412.png
    IMG_6412.png
    1 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6413.png
    IMG_6413.png
    899.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6414.png
    IMG_6414.png
    896 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6415.png
    IMG_6415.png
    807.2 KB · Views: 35
You need to ask folks in your Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) over residential construction.

@jimmythegreek what do you think about the renov plan?

People replace kits. Its alot more work than it sounds especially if theres a concrete collar down there. Basically its like installing a new pool without the full excavation.
Panel type makes no difference on the swg. the pool water never touches the steel or polymer walls

People replace kits. Its alot more work than it sounds especially if theres a concrete collar down there. Basically its like installing a new pool without the full excavation.
Panel type makes no difference on the swg. the pool water never touches the steel or polymer walls

Until it does... I have a lot of rust around my skimmer basket hole. Also, water splashes over the coping, and I'm sure it's seeping down the back side. I'd rather be safe and put something that's not going to be affected by salt water, assuming the polymer will last at least as long.

Waiting for my pool builder to come by to look at it.

When they leak its just as bad with chlorine pools. If you have a salt test kit check the next mon swg pool you swim in. They are close to the same ppm if water is few years old. More important to seal deck and have a tight liner

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.