Has anyone considered this as a solution to broken underground pipes?

wgipe

Gold Supporter
Jul 4, 2020
Fletcher, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40

Has anyone seen this?!? Seems like a brilliant solution to underground plumbing failures that would not require cutting up decking, etc.

Basically, it’s simply an epoxy sleeve that is inserted and cures into a new surface on the interior of the pipe. The application in the video is sewer line, but I wonder if it could be used in a pressure situation also.

Last edited:
Whatever it is non-FB links and description will probably get more views and comments.

Reactions: wgipe
I hope by viewing the video posted, I am not violating anything here on TFP. With that said...

I wonder if that repipe resin material can withstand the chlorine and salt levels many of TFP users maintain?
(edit: I watched prior to the OP edit)

True story, 20 years ago we had a cast iron elbow that was cracked. Every night I kept smelling this horrible smell.
Turns out they were lining the underground sewer lines with something similar and the fumes were getting in my house. I have the elbow replaced but that whole story took me weeks to find.
It smelled like fiberglass resin to me.

I spent two months on this. Yes, it will work. Yes, it will withstand our pool chems.

Found this company here in Ohio: Specialized Pipe Technology

It is the ONLY company within 500 miles that can do CIPP on 1.5" plumbing. Most CIPP products and installers ONLY work on 2.0"+.

I have a borescope and couldn't find the leak. They came out and has some specialized camera (way better resolution), and some techniques to find the leaks. Turns out, it was the outlet of the skimmer that was cracked. I was able to fix with Pool Putty, been working great.

The other downside, and I'm glad I didn't have to have it done, it was $1800 whether it was 3" or 20'. Whew!!! For some that may be better than ripping it out, and I likely would have paid it if the line had a hole.

The other option that I explored is Pipe Fuze. Talked to a couple customers and they had great success...IF you KNOW that your hole is 1/4" or less. Anything larger will fail.

So if you try to find a CIPP solution, and you have 1.5" pipes, makes sure you ask if they can handle 1.5" Also, ask them for the cost of repair based on the length of the pipe you need repaired.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.