Harward SP2300VSP MAXFLO repair bearing possible?

ranel.chea

Oct 27, 2022
California
I have a Harward SP2300VSP MAXFLO VS pump that I purchased a few years back. It's making noise during regular operation and after checking the impeller etc. have come to the conclusion that the bearings are the cause. Searching online there isn't much documentation on replacing these bearings. Has anyone done it?

If the bearings aren't replaceable, is there a motor I can replace this one with that isn't $500+ and can be serviced? Not sure why Hayward has bearing that die after a few years when my old pump lasted +25 years.

I have a gunite pool with 23k gallons no water features. My cleaner is a Polaris 280 with a booster pump.

Thank you for your time in advance.

I have a Harward SP2300VSP MAXFLO VS pump that I purchased a few years back. It's making noise during regular operation and after checking the impeller etc. have come to the conclusion that the bearings are the cause. Searching online there isn't much documentation on replacing these bearings. Has anyone done it?

If the bearings aren't replaceable, is there a motor I can replace this one with that isn't $500+ and can be serviced? Not sure why Hayward has bearing that die after a few years when my old pump lasted +25 years.

I have a gunite pool with 23k gallons no water features. My cleaner is a Polaris 280 with a booster pump.

Thank you for your time in advance.
If you have the tools, the bearings are replaceable. If not a DIYer, a motor shop should be able to do the job. Some of those motors were difficult to disassemble, especially getting the fan off the back end.

SP2300VSP is the first generation of that pump, at least ten years old. Hayward purchases motors, like all other pump manufacturers. Bearings don't just go bad. On a pool motor, it is usually a bad shaft seal that causes water to leak into the front of the motor. Seals are a "wear" item, like brakes and tires on a car, and they can be damaged by other factors. Since that is a sealed motor (no vents), you may not ever see a leaking seal.

Was at a pool that I installed that same pump on about 10 years ago, still running strong, which I find amazing about any VSP anymore. Nothing in the pool industry is as good as it was 25 years ago. Manufacturers will tell you that if you press them.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.