Hanna BL120 Swimming Pool Controller

mattlafy

Sep 3, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Hello, Does anyone have experience with a Hanna BL120, or really any of Hanna's peristaltic pumps and controllers? My brother is building a new pool and I'm trying to convince him to get some kind of chemical automation since he can be a bit careless with maintenance. I'm concerned he'll have water quality issues and would like him to have a backstop if he ignores it for a while. Any experience with their automation products would be helpful, such as if their controllers reliably maintain pH and chlorine levels, if they last reasonably long and if they can be repaired when parts do wear out. It would be pretty annoying if one of the pumps failed in the integrated unit and the whole thing had to be replaced. I'd be equally open to another product, but the pricing from Hanna is pretty enticing.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP :)

Easy without automation...

1. Get a salt water generator
2. Get a great Test Kits Compared

3. Take CYA to 70, FC to 7, TA to 60,

Both of you can have an easy life checking the pool once a week once it is setup.. I went SWG just for this, I can travel up to a month at a time and I wanted something that would sail right on through the month because I knew no one else would check the pool...

There are very few things out there that reliably maintain FC and PH levels and cost way to much money to be worth it..

The pool is at his cottage so there will definitely be times when it doesn't get checked for 2 or 3 weeks. I think that after the 1st year even when he is there it won't get tested most of the time. Long term I'd be surprised if he's testing the water more than 3 times a year.

I would still go SWG and just run the FC hot.. CYA at 70 or 80 and set at 8 to 10 FC in the spring, 10 to 12 FC in the summer, 8 to 10 FC in the fall.. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.