Hand holding needed! Water balancing attempt for SWG conversion .

definitely get some liquid chlorine, aka bleach in asap
before it turns green
Ok, 2 gal of 6% dumped in.
But when I went out the SWG had shut off, low salt.
Turned it back on it went back to 3200 but very slowly dropping.

I guess I didn't think about salt level falling as its converted... or what.
Guess I need to add more?

Given that you very recently had a read of 0 chlorine, I'd run the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, especially before you add any more CYA.
Yea, I added 2 gallons bleach last evening and ran the SWG on 70% all night and FC in only maybe 1 by mid morning.

A couple questions, I know to test with SWG off but what about the filter pump during the overnight test, on or off? We have a chance of rain predicted every day until next week. I'm guessing the test should not be done until we have fair weather?
Thanks!

Yea, I think I may need to skip to SLAM? Two gallons of dollar store unmarked % bleach and 40 minutes of pumping brought it to only 1.6 FC. but 1.2 CC. I just added another gallon of 10%...

Ok, 2 gal of 6% dumped in.
But when I went out the SWG had shut off, low salt.
Turned it back on it went back to 3200 but very slowly dropping.

I guess I didn't think about salt level falling as its converted... or what.
Guess I need to add more?
Careful - it can take several days for salt to completely dissolve and be mixed. Same with CYA; if you put it in there, trust that it’s there based on PooMath.

Salt is not consumed by the SWCG; only reason to worry is heavy rain causing water replacement. But that’s easy enough to notice and plan for…

Reactions: cparktd
Yea, I think I may need to skip to SLAM? Two gallons of dollar store unmarked % bleach and 40 minutes of pumping brought it to only 1.6 FC. but 1.2 CC. I just added another gallon of 10%...
All those days where you had FC less than 1 have likely started algae issues. A SLAM before you bring up your CYA to 60-70 is wise as you just can’t let FC drop that low for very long, especially with rain, potential runoff into pool, etc etc.

Reactions: cparktd
Two gallons of bleach added Wednesday night... Thursday AM FC - 0
Late this evening... Two gallons added ?%.... 30 min wait. FC - 1.6 CC - 1.2
One 10% added... 30 min wait... FC - 2.6 CC - 1
One 10% added... one hour wait... FC - 2.6. CC - .6

Stuffs going faster than I can add it! But CC coming down slightly, make sense?
I'll report the numbers again in the morning. SWG is off. Pump is off. Solar cover is on.

CYA is ~45
PH still is ~7
Do I need to do something about the PH yet?
TD

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OCLT 2.4 loss. No sun out today, raining slightly SWG and pump off.

9 gallons in now, only 3 or 4 left, SWG to Max. waiting >30 min to test. Bleach run!!!

Reactions: Snoobug
Typically we do a SLAM with the SWG off. It saves the wear and tear on it, and allows us to see how fast your FC is dropping.

Also pictures are good. We like to see progress.

FC 17 @ 10 AM.... so I added two more gallon of 6%

I searched about the SWG, off or on, and found advice from someone here to run it... IDK... but it is rated for 45 gallon pool, 2 lbs a day, I'm treating 13.5. I may turn it off or down at some point.

Picked up 21 gallons of 6% form Lowes for $51.66 tax included. Wife got 8 or 9 more so I have about 30 on hand.

Reactions: Snoobug
Pool is clear, very clear... just whenever I add chlorine it goes POOF and it's gone almost instantly, even at night with a cover on it.

If the water is crystal clear, something else is going on. I see you have a Permasalt system, which we know is not a salt water chlorine generator but a copper ionizer. Any odd chemicals added because of that system? The test kit you are using is not in your signature, can you add that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.