Hairline Plaster Cracks 9 months after fill

alikennon

Mar 29, 2018
Brentwood, CA
Hi there!

I have a pool that was completed November 2017. It was plastered with Anvil Quartzscape and immediately had extreme finish variations that were unacceptable. After finding TFP and a thread that was on point, I was able to get my contractor to do something about it. After two acid baths, the finish was essentially consistent enough that I could live with it. It was no near perfect but I was much happier. Shortly thereafter, a hairline crack formed along the wall of the pool that extends down the length of the wall and about 3 feet into the bottom. Recently, a second crack appeared about 8 feet from the first crack and on the same side and approximately same length. I am being told that there is nothing that can be done to fix the cracks and that they are normal! I cannot live with cracks in a brand new pool. What should I be pushing for to fix the pool?

Thanks!

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pics would help us understand the problem better.

The question is this just a plaster shrinkage problem or has the shell cracked?

If it is just a plaster problem the fix is a chipout and new plaster. During the chipout the shell can be examined to see if the problem is more serious.

Reactions: Rich D

alikennon

Mar 29, 2018
Brentwood, CA
Pics would help us understand the problem better.

The question is this just a plaster shrinkage problem or has the shell cracked?

If it is just a plaster problem the fix is a chipout and new plaster. During the chipout the shell can be examined to see if the problem is more serious.
I added a pic to the original thread and a couple more to this response from this morning.

Attachments

sktn77a

Gold Supporter
May 16, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
Well, the cracks are NOT normal. Whether they warranty a major pool project to repair them is up to you and the pool builder. Personally, I'd probably leave it alone (although it's difficult to tell from the pictures).

onBalance

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 25, 2011
Utah
Long cracks are not normal and indicate a problem. The cracks may also leaking water out of the pool. It should be investigated and corrected.

Thread starter Other Threads of Interest Forum Replies Date
T Under Construction 6
C Everything Else 4
TXaquaholics Under Construction 8

Other Threads of Interest