Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
:Hi,

I purchased a home a pool and just had it closed by a service. I'm a very handy person but I don't trust myself just yet to close it. I typically don't have much luck with honest home service contractors as I typically see flaws in their work or dishonest fees very quickly. I'm hoping someone can guide me on what to check. In this case, the pool company left the cartridge filters in my yard after hosing them down and left without saying good bye so I will be attempting to check their work tomorrow. Here's what they did but please be advised I may not be using the correct lingo or have 100% understanding of what I see:

The pool:
  • 40k gallon pebble tech
  • SwimQuip U3 skimmers
  • Sta-Rite System3 cartridge filter
  • Pentair Salt Cell (I think its the IC40)
  • Newer Hayward Pump motor 1.5hp
  • Newer Rheem Heater
What they did as far as I could see:
  • Drained the pool below the jets
  • Removed the skimmer baskets and float valves
  • I saw them do something with piping in the skimmers but did not see if they blew out the lines or installed the plugs
  • Installed the gizmos left behind my the home seller
  • They left the salt cell in place and on which is causing me some OCD heartache as I know they need to be pulled out and stored indoors. Can it be left powered on with no flow like this?
  • They installed the mesh cover but left a few loop locks unhooked. I can see they stripped two and gave up on three with one just left popped and un looped for some reason. I see no evidence of any penetration oil to help loosen these. I understand that the use of oils on these anchors will attract dirt but to not use it to loosen them and then clean the oil off?
  • The loop locks they did secure are so far popped that 1/4" of thread is showing and the cover loops secured around the thread. It doesn't seem right especially since the threads are not that deep.
Is all of this no big deal standard practice? Do they typically come back the next day to finish closings in stages?

Thank you,

Patrick

:wave: Welcome, Patrick! I'm not a pro here, quite the opposite. It would help the experienced folks here if you modify your profile to show the size and kind of equipment you have. I'm kind of lucky, we are in TX and don't have to close our pool, so I'm not much help to answer your questions at all. Good luck!

Sloppy work.

Cartridges should have been installed back in the filter.

SWG cell does not need to be removed. Some people do, I don’t. It should not be powered and all CBs to your equipment should have been turned off.

All straps should have been installed and any stripped anchors replaced.

Don’t expect them back. I would talk to the manager and give him your list of problems for them to return to correct.

Last edited:
Thank you! I'll have to sleep on deciding if I trust them to return and complete this correctly. But for now, I'm headed out to power the cell down.

Reactions: imrodee
The pool company is telling me I need to store the filters in the garage though ajw22's advice seems more logical. Do they think that they freeze and get damaged? I assume not since in New Jersey (aj's location) you guys get much harder winters than we do in Missouri.

IMO

Yes you use the gizmos from the previous owners, they more than likely blew the lines through these. Most Pool companies do not blow from skimmers pads. I never would!

The cartridges are always removed and either left out for client to clean and store inside or are taken to the shop to get washed, rinsed in acid then alkaline solution and stored for winter.

Salt cells do not need to come inside, the weather won’t affect them. Some companies do because that guarantees the man opening (they take them with them and clean and store for spring $$)

Thanks for the advice, so glad this forum is here! FYI I just got the stuck anchors out using this method. I'm learning...

Last edited:
Did they put something in the skimmer to prevent freeze damage to the skimmer itself? My pool store closer puts an empty 1 gallon jugs in each. My cartridges are also returned to the filter and I leave the salt cell installed. You should have all the equipment plugs somewhere like the pump basket. The cover is easy to fix yourself I would not worry too much about that.

Did they put something in the skimmer to prevent freeze damage to the skimmer itself? My pool store closer puts an empty 1 gallon jugs in each. My cartridges are also returned to the filter and I leave the salt cell installed. You should have all the equipment plugs somewhere like the pump basket. The cover is easy to fix yourself I would not worry too much about that.
They put gizmos in the skimmers but I haven't verified this yet. Waiting on my loop lock pry bar order to arrive so I can remove the straps and double check.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.