Had coping stones reset and grout already has hairline cracks

pdilow

Apr 24, 2019
Clarksville, MD
We had some renovations done to our pool 3 weeks ago and I'm already starting to feel a little uneasy about it. A lot of our coping stones were loose, so they were pulled up, cleaned out underneath, then reset. I'm noticing the grout between the stones is already cracking a bit. Nothing BIG, but lots of hairline fractures in between almost every coping stone.

Is this normal? It's WAY better than before where entire chunks of grout were falling out, but just want to double-check with someone other than the contractor I'm paying.

Thanks, TFP community!

Attachments

• PoolOverview.jpeg
    PoolOverview.jpeg
    676.2 KB · Views: 82
  • UnderCoping.jpeg
    UnderCoping.jpeg
    697.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Crack1.jpeg
    Crack1.jpeg
    624.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Crack2.jpeg
    Crack2.jpeg
    933.5 KB · Views: 88
Looks like a concrete pool from pics so you will get more movement than liner pool. Also bigger coping has more expansion issues. I personally only use type S with additives I see that after a few winters with bigger copings here. 3 weeks isn't great for a timeline. They aren't am issue right now but they may be if they keep opening. Water is the enemy just tell PB your concerned and he should warranty the work if they open up. I have gone back and re grouting coping on my dime in the past, I learned my lesson and only use the best material avail these days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.