Had coping stones reset and grout already has hairline cracks

pdilow

Apr 24, 2019
Clarksville, MD
We had some renovations done to our pool 3 weeks ago and I'm already starting to feel a little uneasy about it. A lot of our coping stones were loose, so they were pulled up, cleaned out underneath, then reset. I'm noticing the grout between the stones is already cracking a bit. Nothing BIG, but lots of hairline fractures in between almost every coping stone.

Is this normal? It's WAY better than before where entire chunks of grout were falling out, but just want to double-check with someone other than the contractor I'm paying.

Thanks, TFP community!

Attachments

jimmythegreek

TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 10, 2017
Morris Cnty NJ
Looks like a concrete pool from pics so you will get more movement than liner pool. Also bigger coping has more expansion issues. I personally only use type S with additives I see that after a few winters with bigger copings here. 3 weeks isn't great for a timeline. They aren't am issue right now but they may be if they keep opening. Water is the enemy just tell PB your concerned and he should warranty the work if they open up. I have gone back and re grouting coping on my dime in the past, I learned my lesson and only use the best material avail these days.

pdilow

Apr 24, 2019
Clarksville, MD
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure what type of material they used. I'll just do like you mentioned and make sure I get warranty information and express my concerns.

Happy summer pooling!