Gunite/Shotcrete Question

You do the rebar first to frame the shell.

Then you run the plumbing inside the rebar. You use wire ties to position the PVC inside the rebar.

With a concrete block pool you trench the outside of the blocks and most of the piping runs outside the blocks to where you penetrate a hole.

I realize two of the walls are along your foundation. What is on the other side of the blocks> Do you have a crawl space under the house foundation?

The only think I would replace the wood with is PVC cut to form spacers and support.

You really need to get a pool engineer to look at your plans.

Thank you. This is all very helpful. It's hard to run the plumbing behind the concrete blocks because concrete is already laid. On the other side of the blocks under the window portion of the house is a crawl space. Behind the concrete blocks on the other two sides I am assuming mostly dirt. I will look at getting a pool engineer

Hi. thank you for your reply. I am designing by the fly. The extensive waterproofing you mention: meaning waterproofing with a material with epoxy prior to plastering and applying the pool finish? Will that be sufficient? Can you expand upon suspending the pool within a dry zone? Any videos or resources you know about this? Do you have similar concerns with the gunite pool shell expanding into the concrete blocks? Any suggestions?

You don't find this type of construction on YouTube videos.

I have reviewed engineering and architectural plans of pools to be built in high rises and hotels. They are complex.

The Florida condo collapse was partially due to improper construction and waterproofing in the pool area....

According to the engineer’s assessment, recently made public by the town of Surfside, “the main issue with this building structure is that the entrance drive/pool deck/planter waterproofing is laid on a flat structure.” He attributed these issues to problems with the original contract documents, saying that they were “causing major structural damage to the concrete structural slab below these areas.”

If I knew all these "complications" ahead of time, I would have never dug out the courtyard area. I've obviously put a lot of money and time into this project so far, trying to salvage the project, but thanks for raising your concerns.

I think you should fill in the hole and cut your losses on this project.

Last edited:
Reactions: .ben
This is all very helpful. It's hard to run the plumbing behind the concrete blocks because concrete is already laid.

You can trench on two sides of the block walls and put all pipes on those two sides.

Maybe get some pipes into the crawl space side.

Some examples I found on the net...

main-qimg-0495aba8decc2baa914d17d8bb00e204

FountainPool_Img4_S.jpg

1fe4a49ba74c759d1f203e962be3521b.gif

Doing it by the fly. Is there something you'd recommend to replace the wood with?
Two years ago was called to do a pre-sale pool inspection by the buyer. A beautiful addition to the home had been built right to the edge of the pool, similar to how this "pool" is being built. After checking codes, the inspection went no further and the location of the addition noted on the report. Buyer walked away, bought another property using same Realtor. He told me the addition was condemned by the city and had to be removed, at a rather large expense. It had been built without a permit.
You may find that building this structure will cause a similar issue with your property, making it impossible to sell in the future and subject even to fines.
Pools are not just a hole you can "build on the fly" and fill with water and expect no problems. At best you can expect water to intrude under the home, more likely a catastrophic failure.
Are you planning on lights in all those conduits coming from LB boxes (pulling boxes)? Not how its done. Each light needs a conduit run to a j-box. These are just a few of the issues I see and I don't build pools but have seen many in various phases of being built.
I will echo ajw22, cut your loses, fill it and try again with an engineer.

Reactions: .ben
I think you should fill in the hole and cut your losses on this project.
Part of it is I have already bought all the pool equipment, installed the 240v pool panel, bought all the pool finish, the pool coping, done a lot of the electrical etc. I am hoping (fingers crossed) that I can find some methods that could help some of the issues. If not, so be it.

If I pour some concrete for the bottom of the pool, and then use either a waterproof membrane or waterproof liquid on the concrete block and concrete on the floor I pour... And then do gunite with a waterproof membrane on the gunite prior to plaster, would that work well?

I tried looking for a pool engineer near nashville, had troubles finding one. May end up just trying to find a pool company, it's just I'm pretty sure most would be reluctant to take on the project where it is.

Two years ago was called to do a pre-sale pool inspection by the buyer. A beautiful addition to the home had been built right to the edge of the pool, similar to how this "pool" is being built. After checking codes, the inspection went no further and the location of the addition noted on the report. Buyer walked away, bought another property using same Realtor. He told me the addition was condemned by the city and had to be removed, at a rather large expense. It had been built without a permit.
You may find that building this structure will cause a similar issue with your property, making it impossible to sell in the future and subject even to fines.
Pools are not just a hole you can "build on the fly" and fill with water and expect no problems. At best you can expect water to intrude under the home, more likely a catastrophic failure.
Are you planning on lights in all those conduits coming from LB boxes (pulling boxes)? Not how its done. Each light needs a conduit run to a j-box. These are just a few of the issues I see and I don't build pools but have seen many in various phases of being built.
I will echo ajw22, cut your loses, fill it and try again with an engineer.
I have a permit to build by owner.

Your best bet to salvage this project is to hire a local structural engineer with experience designing pools. Their fee will be higher than if they were designing a pool from scratch because they also have to analyze the work already done and the impact to your home structure. Their recommendations may be cost-prohibitive.

There may be significant structural concerns if you continue to do this alone (I am not an engineer in TN and this is not engineering advice). Even working with a pool builder may be concerning if they do not understand the impact of the pool to your home. (Although you will have trouble finding a builder to willing to take on this project.)

Many building codes require a minimum distance between pool and home foundation (unsure about TN). This may be an issue when you sell your home.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.