Gunite Pool Leak

May 20, 2018
PORTAGE-MICHIGAN
I am in need of some expert assistance.

My 2013 gunite rectangular pool seems to be losing water.

If I turn off the autoflow .... it loses about 1" per 24 hours.

I have a auto cover and most days it is open less than 2-3 hrs and the pool gets very low use.

I had the best Michigan leak detection firm out last fall and they tested all the plumbing and came up with no issues with all the plumbing.

I drained the pool to below the lights this spring before startup and removed the two lights and carefully plugged the 1" plastic conduit lines to make sure that wasn't the leak source.

I have carefully checked the CL black onyx finish and don't see any visible cracks or shell damage?

What steps should I take next??

Thanks

Do the bucket test. Put a bucket on a step and fill it to the same level as your pool. See if the pool level diverges from the bucket level.

83 degree pool temp during the day with cold Michigan nights can lose water overnight to evaporation.

Is everything absolutely dry around your equipment pad?

AJ

No need to do the bucket test ... my pool is covered and when I turn off the autofill ... it loses approx 1" per day.

No leaks in the equipment area ... we are talking about approx 300 gallons per day??

No place for the water to evaporate ....

Thanks for your input though... need all the ideas possible.

I was losing about the same amount of water in my pool earlier this year. Let the water drop until it stops dropping. If the water stops dropping at the skimmers, check to see if there is a gap between the gunite and the skimmer body. This is where I found my leak. A little epoxy putty fixed the leak.

I found the leak ... shut everything off and let gravity and water pressure do its magic. After 48 hrs - pool water dropped 12" and stopped at the bottom edge of the 1-1/2" vacuum - which we never use as we have a Dolphin DX6. SO I plugged the vac line and I think I am good. Did the math ... was doing a complete pool water change 3 times a month?? Crazy. My WC always was reasonable ... but the last couple of years I ahd a young pool tech taking care of the pool ... had no clue on the WC and scale from calcium. Have a black onyz finish and have alot of very small white dots around the pool floor and some on side walls and some streaks. I had added (2) qts of Scaletec but I think most of it was diluted with the leak - water changes. Going to add (2) more qts of Scaletec and see how that goes.

Have the water balanced at -.05 average....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.