Myersfam

Mar 13, 2022
Central Florida
I have read as many gunite curing articles as possible and cannot find the answer to this question: How long is too long when curing gunite?
I am currently at 7 months since the gunite was shot in the pool. No sealant/marcite yet. The pool just sits with raw gunite and ground water in the bottom.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

Gunite pretty well cures after 28 days. After that it is just a hunk of concrete outdoors.

Strength_of_28_Day_Moist_Concrete.png

Why is your pool sitting at the gunite stage for 7 months?

Reactions: Myersfam
Thanks for the info... puts me at ease a bit on the gunite shell.

Answer to your Q’s...
Gunite was shot in Sept. Contractor took 2 months to get 2 1/2” pvc for plumbing after gunite. Didn’t get the pavers ordered until Nov, paver supplier said 8-10 weeks.... going on 16 weeks (still no pavers). Contractor said pavers need to go in first before marcite. I asked for a schedule to completion two weeks ago and was firmly told that b/c suppliers are low on materials, a schedule is a ridiculous request.
Signed the contract 2/21. Received our permit 5/21. Bottom line, he’s just not skilled at laying out a schedule for subs. Oh well, I have to stick it out with this guy, cannot afford litigation.

Paver usually does not go in before plaster. You don't want the plaster crew messing up your new pavers. No reason to wait for pavers to do plaster.

Your builder is blowing smoke up your....

Pavers before plaster is typical in FL...and yeah, plaster crew messed up my pavers, gah! I know it sux Myersfam...there are a lot of people in the same predictiment as you...even if you got a schedule it would be missed anyway. Hopefully you can be swimming by summer!

Reactions: Myersfam
Hello again,

Still waiting since last post... and have a pretty touchy Q.

Waiting for marcite on pool from my last post. My contractor has been paid 90% and I still have marcite, lights, some drainage issues, tile grout and some electrical work incomplete.
Am I allowed to ask for balances left unpaid to subs before I expose myself to liens? I am concerned that my contractor will not complete job or pay the subs.
PS Pool was started Jan 2021.

Thank you so much for any answer,

Erin

Hello again,

Waiting for marcite on pool from my last post. My contractor has been paid 90% and I still have marcite, lights, some drainage issues, tile grout and some electrical work incomplete.
Am I allowed to ask for balances left unpaid to subs before I expose myself to liens? I am concerned that my contractor will not complete job or pay the subs.

Erin
IANAL but my understanding is that if the subs have not sent you a Notice to Owner within 30? 45? days of starting work, they cannot put a lien on your house. Have you received any of those?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello again,

Erin
Wow i'm sorry to hear. I also started in Jan of 2021 and just got water in our pool. We are still missing out automation and several misc items to repair.

We had gunite shot in March of 2021 and waited will June to get water. It was a very slow process in between each step.

Our builder current is under investigation with the state and in several lawsuits with several clients. None of the PB subs would work for her again and no employees.

This isnt legal advice but just how I see it might be going.

I not entirely sure of your situation with your builder but I would start with filing with the state DBPR, it can go two way, one it can kick your builder into gear to get you finished or put you on their bad list. I see it at this point you dont have much to lose. If the state goes after them you might be able to apply for some of the state construction funds and lose their license until they pay back the funds. They may bully you into canceling your claim like our PB did but I would make sure it stays open with the DBPR until they forward it to the state general counsel.

When was the last time the PB was on site? if it exceed 90 day than they may have not compiled with Florida Statues. You might want to look into this if you feel this is appropriate.

Reactions: TampaKathy
You might want to look into the PB FB or website to see the negative reviews to see if you can reach out to the other current clients. It does help when you have multiple clients that can relay info on what might be happen on other projects.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.