Gunite complete, but pool looks different from the plans

Apr 20, 2023
Houston, TX
Gunite was done on my L shaped pool yesterday and I noticed that the angle that the wall is cut at when the pool makes a 90 degree turn seems off.

When measuring the angle on the plans they are pretty much the same (43 and 44 degrees).

However, on the actual pool these angles seem much farther off. Am I being too critical of the building process or is this something to bring up to the builder?

What can be done to fix this if it is an issue?

IMG_4215.jpegIMG_4216.jpegIMG_4218.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's difficult to tell what is going on. Maybe a picture from your roof may be more telling.

Did you notice the problem prior to gunite? Do you have a plan showing dimensions? Is the overall area still as anticipated (measure actual surface area vs. area in contract)?

It's possible to demo a portion of the shell, dowel rebar into the remaining shell, and re-shoot the demo'd shell. This is an intensive, expensive process. I would be inclined to leave as-is if you can.

Not sure I'm fully seeing the issue either, is it related to the two angled corners not being parallel to each other?

Regardless, that is your shell and the main structure of your pool. It can be changed, but would want to weigh the pro's and con's. Step 1 is reaching out to your pool builder to convey the concern and see what solutions they can offer. Do that ASAP before they move on to coping, tile and the next steps.

It's only cosmetic, and nobody will ever see your plans to know, but you'll see it everytime you look at the pool. If you can't make peace with that, nows the time to speak up.

It's difficult to tell what is going on. Maybe a picture from your roof may be more telling.

Did you notice the problem prior to gunite? Do you have a plan showing dimensions? Is the overall area still as anticipated (measure actual surface area vs. area in contract)?

It's possible to demo a portion of the shell, dowel rebar into the remaining shell, and re-shoot the demo'd shell. This is an intensive, expensive process. I would be inclined to leave as-is if you can.
Right, the issue is that the two angled corners aren’t parallel. I’ll try to get a better picture and I’ll see if I can get a true angle measurements on it tonight to see how off they actually are.

I did notice the problem when the rebar was placed, prior to gunite. I mentioned it to the builder and they said that gunite should fix the angles.

Overall dimensions would be pretty much the same with the angles, so it’s cosmetic. If any amount of pool is lost or gained, it would be negligible.

I mentioned it to the builder and they said that gunite should fix the angles.

Overall dimensions would be pretty much the same with the angles, so it’s cosmetic. If any amount of pool is lost or gained, it would be negligible
I am no Mason or PB, but more shell could be added to correct the angles. The added a bench to my shell in a similar fashion. It might still look off center though, but be less noticeable.

Screenshot_20230718_140706_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: .ben

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.