Grill Dome?

The auto-hinge is standard on the new Infinity model, which is the one I got. However, if you were buying another model, I would say yes. This is not a light weight product and the dome would be quite heavy without the hinge.

As far as essential accessories, I would make sure to get 2 of the double decker racks (for more cooking surface) as well as a pizza stone. The pizza stone, aside from making pizza, makes a great heat deflector. You can take the pizza stone and place it on an upside down double decker rack, that can hang beneath the grilling surface. This way, you can cook low and slow without direct heat from the charcoal or wood below. You'll also want to get the temperature guage, and the metal top (damper). Personally, I think both of those items should be included, but they are just a little extra and are essential to proper temperature control.

I also bought a table, but you could also get a cradle, or make your own table. While you could cook on the ground, you probably won't want to, plus you'll want to make sure there is no danger of someone knocking over your grill. It's heavy duty, but it is ceramic all the same. hth.

I'll make a custom table for it so that's covered.

Yeah, I'd think the temp gauge and damper would be included as well and would be essential. Out of your list, I think those are the only two items I could order with the dome from the Grill Dome company, correct? I'll plan on getting the infinity model.

I'm close to buying one and just wanted to make sure I order everything I need from them in one shot.

I've got several pizza stones I use in the oven so they should work OK in the dome don't you agree or is there something special for the dome?.

I could not find any racks on the dome site. Can you recommend one and a link?

Hum, all my sentences start with "I". me, me, me, it's all about me :lol:

Thanks,
Bill

Actually, I bought all my stuff, including the dome, from BBQ guys: http://www.bbqguys.com/category_name_Gr ... 10613.html

I spoke with TK, the owner of GD, and he is completely out of stock on every color. I just checked BBQ Guys and it looks like the black is the only color they have in stock. Apparently the company is really taking off. TK said they did not expect this kind of volume. More are on there way but are several weeks out from either supplier. I also verified with TK that the one BBQ Guys describes as the Extra Extra Tall, is in fact the "Infinity."

The price is the same either way and you still get the full Lifetime Warranty. One tip though, if you are ordering multiple items, order by phone and asked for reduced shipping. If you order online it adds shipping for each item. When you are shipping a 150+ pound grill on a pallet, you really shouldn't have to pay extra for another 10 lbs of accessories. :hammer:

If you do order one, let me know and I'll direct you to a link with some important info about inspecting your item upon delivery.

wsettle said:
I've got several pizza stones I use in the oven so they should work OK in the dome don't you agree or is there something special for the dome?.

Hello Bill,

I would be careful on the "Oven Pizza Stones", as they do not like open flames. Don't ask how I know, bit I have a #7 Kamado and an XL BGE and a couple of three piece pizza stones. :shock:

Now I use firebricks under the stones to protect from the flames. I am looking at the BGE plate setter and thier stone, as it is made from a high temp product, but I have not pulled the trigger.

But, man is pizza with a little apple wood really good. I like to cook mine at aobut 450 degrees, I personally have tried hotter, but I found that is my sweet spot.

If I could only have one BBQ unit, it would be ceramic for sure. It can do it all, high heat, low and slow, etc. Capacity is the only issue, but just for the backyard it is great. In fact, I lug my XL BGE in the cart I built to my comps.

Best of luck.

David

I forgot to mention that about the stones. One type in particular that a lot of people seem to have that do NOT do well in high heat are those from Pampered Chef - the Avon of kitchenware.

I got mine from Bed Bath & Beyond and it did fine over high heat - I don't remember the brand.

Sean, thanks for the info on the bbqguys and the shipping tip. They've got a great web site and some informative videos. Appreciate it.

Sean and toys4dlr, thanks for the tips on the pizza stones. I use my stones on the propane grill to cook pizzas so they may make it on a GD. We'll see.

I haven't quite been able to pull the trigger on the purchase yet. Once I added up the GD, the accessories I wanted plus shipping, I got sticker shock. Good eats ain't cheap :shock:

One of these days and in a weaker moment I might just have to mash the checkout button. For now I guess I'll keep smoking with the Oklahoma Joe. It's paid for :-D

wsettle said:
Sean, thanks for the info on the bbqguys and the shipping tip. They've got a great web site and some informative videos. Appreciate it.

Sean and toys4dlr, thanks for the tips on the pizza stones. I use my stones on the propane grill to cook pizzas so they may make it on a GD. We'll see.

I haven't quite been able to pull the trigger on the purchase yet. Once I added up the GD, the accessories I wanted plus shipping, I got sticker shock. Good eats ain't cheap :shock:

One of these days and in a weaker moment I might just have to mash the checkout button. For now I guess I'll keep smoking with the Oklahoma Joe. It's paid for :-D

I know what you mean. It does add up. It was easier for me because I'd been wanting a Klose pit for a long time with an even higher price tag and had been saving toward that. When I decided on the GD, it seemed like a comparative bargain. If I'd have shopped longer I might have talked myself out of it, but am glad I didn't.

SeanB said:
I forgot to mention that about the stones. One type in particular that a lot of people seem to have that do NOT do well in high heat are those from Pampered Chef - the Avon of kitchenware.

I got mine from Bed Bath & Beyond and it did fine over high heat - I don't remember the brand.
I resemble that remark about the PC pizza stone; my wife was not pleased.

Terra Cotta planter saucers make great heat shields for ceramics. They can crack but usually not into pieces; more like a partial split. At 2 or 3 bucks apiece for a 16" one they're really hard to beat. You can also use small terra cotta planters as risers for additional racks if you don't have one of the purpose-made upper racks.

Well...my plan was foiled a while back. I figured I would see if the used medium Big Green Egg was still available. If it was I would buy that now, to satisfy my need for a ceramic smoker. Then I would buy a large Grill Dome later. Then I would have plenty of room for both day to day cooking for the family and extra room for parties.

But...the medium egg was sold :cry:

I'll have to see if I could get some money together for an infinity Dome. Maybe I'll be able to pull it off this year, or maybe next year.

How is the bark in a ceramic compared to an offset?

Thanks guys!
dan

I don't care what make of ceramic smoker that you buy but.... You all must check out the egghead forum. This is where you will learn to do sooo much more with your cooker than you can imagine or at least I did (I actually bought it strictly as a smoker). Some things I have tried because of the forum but would never had on my own.
Appetizers: Stuffed jalapenos, aka: ABT's (Atomic Buffulo Turds)
Some are stuffed with pulled pork others with little smokies
ABT.jpg

Cast iron wok with chicken, onions, peppers, mushrooms.
DSCF1250-1.jpg

Roast Turkey (nothing fancy just needed meat for sandwiches)
DSC01278.jpg

Twice cooked potato
DSC01281-1.jpg

DSC01280.jpg

Bread (this one stuffed with sausage) No it doesn't taste like smoke but it can if you want!
I now do most of my baking on it.
SausageBread-1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.