Grey Slimy Stuff?

sean.a.hyde

Gold Supporter
Jun 5, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
This year I put handles on my old skimmer baskets so my wife didn't have to reach into the "stuff" to pull them out.
They mostly work :ROFLMAO:
Image from iOS (13).jpg

Since installing them, however, I've noticed some grey slimy stuff on the handles, just above the water line. I figured it was algae-like stuff that was growing on the evaporation/condensation on the handle and thus free of the chlorine. Recently, however, I've noticed it below the waterline as well.
Image from iOS (14).jpg

Water chemistry has been good all year. Zero increase in filter pressure.
Currently running a FC a bit high since I used some Trichlor to bump my CYA up a bit.
FC: 8.5
CC: 0
pH: 7.5
CYA: 60ish

Thoughts?

Sunscreen, lotions, hair products.

I clean out the skimmer with Simple Green. It gets to your cartridge filters too. Be prepared to soak them in TSP.

I ditched my handle skimmer angel thingy for skimmer socks once we started using the pool this summer. It is amazing how much gunk those things catch and keep from your filter.

Sunscreen, lotions, hair products.

I clean out the skimmer with Simple Green. It gets to your cartridge filters too. Be prepared to soak them in TSP.

Ah, yes, I would totally believe it was sunscreen. We slather the kids good with the new stuff (non-endocrine blockers) that is pretty gooey. Luckily we keep it to their faces/necks because they are wearing long sleeve swim shirts.
This is my first year with cartridge filters. I'll be really interested to see how gunky they are.

I'm sure that was worth the cost of the shipping! LOL!😂

Have you experimented with it yet? wipe it on a paper towel, drip water on it and see if it separates out into different chlorophylls. drip acid on it, See if fizzes, what's going on around your pool? pollen, construction, etc?
It is definitely grey and sticky. I haven't tried to put acid on it. This is definitely the only place in the whole pool that has it. It also isn't present on the fine mesh screens of the robots (where I definitely see pollen sometimes). Makes me think Marty has it right with sunscreen/oil as this would make sense if it was floating on the surface of the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.