Green water - not enough chlorine

Jul 26, 2017
Queen Creek AZ
Hi all. We were gone for the weekend and I came back to a green pool. I had someone turn on the filter for a couple hours everyday but unfortunately I did not check the chlorinator before I left. When I checked today, it was empty. The pool was crystal clear blue before I left on Friday. The pool has brand new water from a month ago. What's the best way for me to get water nice again? There's no algae, just green. I put in two bags of shock I had left from before and the floor of the pool immediately turned blue so I'm sure it's just a lack of chlorine. Should I put in liquid chlorine? Thanks in advance.

I have the tfp test kit, but haven't had a chance to test the pool since our return tonight. I will test tomorrow first thing. Was just wondering whether there was something I could do tonight to get things started. I've added tabs back to the chlorinator. Should I let the filter run all night?

Well, you could start the SLAM process tonight ;)

Or at a minimum test the pH and FC and lower the pH to the lower 7s and raise your FC with bleach up to the shock level for your expected CYA (although you should confirm this in the sunlight).

Remember the tabs are adding CYA!!!

Thanks all. I know. I had all intentions to stick to liquid chlorine this year (see my signature from last year!), then had serious back sprain and wound up relying on tabs again. With a husband that travels more than he's home and two kids under 4, the liquid chlorine is tough, but I will try again. Once I get the water cleared up, how often will I need to use the chlorine? Pool is 32k gallons.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry - that last post wasn't clear. I mean to ask, will I need to add a gallon daily?

Your pool needs chlorine added every day ... how much depends on the FC losses (sun exposure, debris, use, etc).

You have a large pool so you may need 1 to 2 gallons of 6% bleach every day. If you get stronger bleach, it would be less.

You may have a short enough season and enough rain where you can get by using the tablets and testing and supplementing with bleach to reduce the amount to be added daily.

Depending on what your current cya using tabs can work. Do you drain the pool at all in the winter? If not then monitor your cya and once it hits say 50 switch to liquid. If you do a partial drain to winterize you could go a little higher.

Just remember tabs cost more than just buying liquid chlorine.

Have you considered a salt water chlorine generator?

Good morning. These are the test results I just got after we put 4 gallons of bleach in last night. Can you please help me figure out how many more gallons I need?

FC 2.5
CC 0.5
CYA 50

- - - Updated - - -

From the FC/CYA chart, I see that it says that shock chlorine level needs to be 20, but I don't quite understand how to figure out how many gallons I'll need to get there. Thank you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PoolMath

Put your gallons in the upper left. Put your starting FC in the Now column. Put 20 in the Target. Select what strength bleach you are using.

Read the result.

You should use the Pool Math calculator, link is at the top of each page. Enter your gallons in the top and then on the next line, left side enter your measured FC reading. In the right column is your desired FC. Make sure you enter the appropriate bleach concentration a little further to the right. PoolMath will calculate the amount of bleach you need.
There is an app for that! Pool Math. Available at your favorite App Store for your mobile device

Follow SLAM Process procedure. Read the article. Raise your FC to SLAM level and maintain. Every couple hours test FC and add more LC to get to SLAM level.

dbtgallery.php

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.