Green water- Iron? Algae?

CV701

Jun 15, 2019
Wisconsin
FC- 8
CC- 0
CYA- ran out of solution but last I checked was under 30. Have not added any since.
TA- 150
pH- 7.5
Pool water about 80 degrees

The water is clear green. Not just a tinge green- very green but I can completely see through it. When I drained and filled my pool just over 3 weeks ago, I used well water. I have not had it tested for metals. I do get brown/yellow staining in my toilets and sinks and bathtubs.
I have kept the chlorine at SLAM level (10) for the last 2 days and rinse the filter 1-2 times daily and it is still green. When I do rinse the filter, it is dark green/brown water that comes off. I was going to add more to bring it up from 8 but figured I'd ask in here first. I put paper towel in the skimmer basket and it turned kind of yellow after about 15 minutes.
I'm assuming it's metal in the water versus algae. Is it too far gone? Can I do anything, like metal out? Could it still be algae?

Try to filter out as much of the iron as possible. Sequestrants just bind the iron up and you must add them regularly to keep it bound up. Do a search of the forum, lot's of threads on capturing the iron.

You cannot remove metals from a pool by only adding chemicals into it. Metal chemicals are just sequestrants which temporarily bind the metals into the water to help keep them from precipitating to surfaces but dont last long. You need something in the water absorbing the metals and removing that material. Sequestrants in combination with a metal-absorbing material like polyfill are the best approach.

Metal stains all over the pool are going to be a long process to remove so be patient and stick with it. See below thread for some suggestions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.