Green to Great - The Project Begins

You’ve come along way! Keep that P.O.P. (pool owner patience)! You’ll be gin clear in no time 🤗. As far as the snow melt goes hopefully someone who has used that recently will chime in. I feel there was a bit of a discussion on that product last year but I can’t seem to find it.

End of week 4 update:

Continued slam all week and the water is very clear. I also found my leak ans patched it up with some JB waterweld (not permanent but good until I can get in the water and do a more permanent fix). Since I am no longer loosing water I got my cya back to where it needed to be and started adding salt.

Planning on doing a oclt tomorrow... wish me luck!

My next task is getting my ch up to spec. I have found some (MELT50CCP) that can be shipped to my local tractor supply for what seems to be a decent deal ($30/50lb). If someone could provide some feedback on if this stuff would work I would appreciate it... I have heard mixed reviews about snow joe changing their formula.

Snow Joe CH Pellets

The pix below does not really show how good it looks... little cloudy from cya and salt.

View attachment 331157
Curious, where was your leak located?

Curious, where was your leak located?
So not knowing what I was getting into before I started the cleanup process I took a lot of photos... I went back and looked at the water line to find areas that may have been the problem.

To be honest it was not the areas I suspected... the pix below actually shows some pine needles and leafs in the crack before I started the cleanup... innocence is bliss

340B84D2-ED5B-4A8F-AF79-121D37EF60A5.jpeg

F16623E5-2546-444B-8AF6-346BC5C37713.jpeg

Last edited:
My next task is getting my ch up to spec. I have found some (MELT50CCP) that can be shipped to my local tractor supply for what seems to be a decent deal ($30/50lb). If someone could provide some feedback on if this stuff would work I would appreciate it... I have heard mixed reviews about snow joe changing their formula.

Snow Joe CH Pellets

As far as the snow melt goes hopefully someone who has used that recently will chime in. I feel there was a bit of a discussion on that product last year but I can’t seem to find it.

Hopefully I can get some guidance... not too worried about it now but it will take a few weeks to get it.

If you haven't added DE, this will be the time to do it. Remember to keep an eye on Psi, when it rises 25% from clean psi, backwash and add some more DE.
Yes... I went to get some this weekend but they were out at HomeDepot. I remember that Walmart had a smaller box and intend to stop by this week.

I just looked at my receipt and they were 12.98 per 3pk. I have several ace hardwares and Walmart’s around and will price check... you put the word pool on a label and it seems you can sell it for 20% more.

I will need to source some calcium chloride at some point after my slam is completed and from what I can tell, finding it at a reasonable price will be challenging.
I didn’t read further down to see if you had other suggestions (yet) but I buy my calcium chloride dihydrate from a farm / ranch supply store (it’s de-icer) in a 50#bag for $33.

Reactions: Mdragger88
didn’t read further down to see if you had other suggestions (yet) but I buy my calcium chloride dihydrate from a farm / ranch supply store (it’s de-icer) in a 50#bag for $33.
I was not able to find any calcium from any big box, ace, or tractor surprise... by the time I went to get it they are no longer shipping to stores. I was able to get the MELT50CCP from Amazon for $33 per 50# bag shipped for free... I was surprised. It’s only 94% Calcium Chloride and 5% Alkali Chloride... hopefully I receive the correct SKU and works as it should.

Reactions: Oregonpool214
I was not able to find any calcium from any big box, ace, or tractor surprise... by the time I went to get it they are no longer shipping to stores. I was able to get the MELT50CCP from Amazon for $33 per 50# bag shipped for free... I was surprised. It’s only 94% Calcium Chloride and 5% Alkali Chloride... hopefully I receive the correct SKU and works as it should.
I was going to suggest.....dun dun dun......the pool store. It’s where I get my stuff like that, but only odd stuff like that.

I used the Snow Joe from Amazon too, didn't have any problems. I'm getting close to needing to add some more calcium, probably another month or two, probably time to start looking for a deal again ;) Great work on cleaning up the pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was going to suggest.....dun dun dun......the pool store.
Yea... I tried 3 around my area and they wanted $2.50 per lb... willing to do it if I had to but with the 120lbs that hurts a bit.
I used the Snow Joe from Amazon too, didn't have any problems.
Thanks for input... from what I read from posts last year a few people got the blue bag instead of the red bag... hopefully I get what I ordered. Funny thing about the shipping, I could have got it 2 days earlier for $1000.00. I got an extra 50lbs incase my plaster decides to eat it for lunch.

Yea... I tried 3 around my area and they wanted $2.50 per lb... willing to do it if I had to but with the 120lbs that hurts a bit.

Thanks for input... from what I read from posts last year a few people got the blue bag instead of the red bag... hopefully I get what I ordered. Funny thing about the shipping, I could have got it 2 days earlier for $1000.00. I got an extra 50lbs incase my plaster decides to eat it for lunch.
I think I got a 50lb bag of 100% cal-clr chips for about $30 at a local store here. I get 12.5% liquid chlorine from them as well for about 3.99/gallon. Home Depot is a bit cheaper on the chlorine though.

I think I got a 50lb bag of 100% cal-clr chips for about $30 at a local store here.
Well that is fantastic... if you feel like sharing the store name feel free to pm me (not sure of the rules here). While it is a bit of a drive there may be times a reasonable pool store would be nice to have access to.

Well that is fantastic... if you feel like sharing the store name feel free to pm me (not sure of the rules here). While it is a bit of a drive there may be times a reasonable pool store would be nice to have access to.
Tennessee Valley Pool and Spa, 37922. They don’t do testing and all that. They just sell spas, BBQ’s, and related stuff.

So now I am frustrated... I have a cloudy pool... meaning I can not see the bottom of the deep end pool anymore.

End of week 4 update:

Continued slam all week and the water is very clear. I also found my leak ans patched it up with some JB waterweld (not permanent but good until I can get in the water and do a more permanent fix). Since I am no longer loosing water I got my cya back to where it needed to be and started adding salt.

The pix below does not really show how good it looks... little cloudy from cya and salt.

So let me recap what I did prior to my last post for reference
  • When I added my salt last Saturday my pool was almost 100% crystal clear. I could even see the salt crystals in the middle of the deep end.
  • Added 4lbs of CYA to get to up from 20
On Sunday I took my weekly photo and it was a bit cloudy (as was noted by several members here)

On Monday
  • I added DE to my filter by slowly adding it to my skimmer by diluting it in a 5gal bucket
  • I added 1cup and checked my filter pressure
  • Added 1 more cup and check my pressure and that seemed to bring it up about 1-2 PSI
  • About 3hrs later I noticed that my PSI went from around 10 - 20
  • I back washed for several minutes (until clear) and then rinsed (until clear)
  • I waited about a half-hour I added DE again using the same procedure
  • waited a few hours came back and PSI was at 15 and my motor was making a noise (usually an indication that it needs to be cleaned)
  • I back washed for several minutes (until clear) and then rinsed (until clear)
  • I turned off the pump and I cleared the filter basket on the pump which had a lot of small debris with DE on it
  • I waited about a half-hour I added DE again using the same procedure
  • Pressure has been stable ever since at around 12
Yesterday and today I started to notice that I am starting up quite a bit of dust when I am brushing the sidewalls and floor. I had a lot of "scum staining" around the edge of the pool from where the pool level was (just below the jets) to the top.

I have been keeping the FC at slam levels religiously... any ideas?
  • Scum from the walls is breaking up?
  • Dirt from the salt? (it seemed very clean in the bag and didn't notice anything when adding it)
  • Something weird from the CYA?
  • DE coming back into the pool somehow?
  • Rain Water did something wacky?
  • Filter problem?
  • The Algae Gods are fighting back?

Last edited:
Below are my test results from this morning.
==================================
FC=14.5
PH=8.2 (was 7.5)
TA=80 (was 70)
CH=125*
CYA=30 (was 40)
CC=0
Salt= 3000*
CSI=-0.10

* = last reading a week ago

The biggest difference was the decrease in CYA... I may have received a false High reading after adding CYA, I tested 24hrs after adding. Since my slam level went from 12 to 16, I wonder if the increase in FC higher than target either killed something or threw something off-balance. The other thing I noticed was the spike in PH... I know High FC makes this erratic but still a data point.

I am currently letting it come back to 12.

Below are my test results from this morning.
==================================
FC=14.5
PH=8.2 (was 7.5)
TA=80 (was 70)
CH=125*
CYA=30 (was 40)
CC=0
Salt= 3000*
CSI=-0.10

* = last reading a week ago

The biggest difference was the decrease in CYA... I may have received a false High reading after adding CYA, I tested 24hrs after adding. Since my slam level went from 12 to 16, I wonder if the increase in FC higher than target either killed something or threw something off-balance. The other thing I noticed was the spike in PH... I know High FC makes this erratic but still a data point.

I am currently letting it come back to 12.
I’m no expert by any means, but I just had something very similar happen when I was cleaning up my swamp - a sudden decrease in my CYA levels when I hit FC of 30. I went from CYA of 60ish down to 30ish, and then adjusted my goal slam chlorine accordingly. I read some responses / experiences here of losing cya when chlorine levels get really high.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.