Green to Great - The Project Begins

Below are pictures from this morning... I tested FC and PH and the PH was really high well above 8.2 so I added some muriatic acid to bring it down.

When brushing the pool I get very little (if any) of the brown/green "stuff" floating up the wall. Now the pool is supper cloudy as you can see. I assume this is chlorine attacking the "bad stuff" and will filter out.

IMG_0025.jpeg

IMG_0026.jpeg

Reactions: Newdude
remember, with chlorine above 10ppm your ph will test high... stop worrying about that until you are letting your FC drop (post SLAM).

remember, with chlorine above 10ppm your ph will test high... stop worrying about that until you are letting your FC drop (post SLAM).
Thanks for that... so how often should I do a full range of tests and are there any other things that I should be watching out for?

While you are doing a SLAM, the ONLY numbers you are worried about are your Chlorine numbers. Everything else will come after the SLAM is done.

My Current #
FC=0
PH=7.5
TA=30
CH=0
CYA=0
CC=NA
Salt= low to nonexistent
It's impossible for your CH to be 0. Salt at/near 0 is also highly suspect unless the water was replaced after the last time anyone put chlorine in the pool. When you are done with SLAM, retest these before adjusting them, and as always, only put in half as much as you think you need and retest again. That way, if your starting value was not what you thought it was, or if your pool volume is not correct, you are much less likely to overshoot.
Confused by your pool gal comment. You are doing your own testing, correct?
Pool gallons.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's impossible for your CH to be 0. Salt at/near 0 is also highly suspect unless the water was replaced after the last time anyone put chlorine in the pool.
I agree... that test was over a month ago. I tested ch using 10ml twice and then the 25ml test twice. I did not go further as it was winter and had enough info that significant changes were required.

I just retested ch now and got 75 and will retest again after slam is complete.

I was also very concerned with the cya and salt readings but it appears that was through some sort of water exchange... the pool has been closed for two years and I just purchased the home over the winter.

They really need to add a few comments at the beginning of that post
1) this is easy is just chlorine
2) don’t over think it
3) if you have a dark green pool purchase 20 gallons of bleach and follow pool math

If you buy bleach make sure its NOT Clorox brand and that its plain, unscented, unthickened, etc.

Liquid chlorine can be found in Walmart's pool section for a true gallon for $3.87
I got the three packs at Home Depot.... HDX chlorinating liquid. It seemed to be the cheapest and was 10%ish. The date code was December 2020 if I remember correctly.

I got the three packs at Home Depot.... HDX chlorinating liquid. It seemed to be the cheapest and was 10%ish. The date code was December 2020 if I remember correctly.
That varies a lot by region. Around me, most HDs don't carry pool supplies. The few that do, that 3-pack is sold for the low, low price of $32, or over $10/gallon. I can go to my local Ace hardware and get it for $6/gal, or Job Lot for $3.50/gallon for 12.5%.

That varies a lot by region. Around me, most HDs don't carry pool supplies. The few that do, that 3-pack is sold for the low, low price of $32, or over $10/gallon. I can go to my local Ace hardware and get it for $6/gal, or Job Lot for $3.50/gallon for 12.5%.
I just looked at my receipt and they were 12.98 per 3pk. I have several ace hardwares and Walmart’s around and will price check... you put the word pool on a label and it seems you can sell it for 20% more.

I will need to source some calcium chloride at some point after my slam is completed and from what I can tell, finding it at a reasonable price will be challenging.

Todays Morning update: (pix below)
- almost no brown/green/grey stuff when sweeping
- water is still very cloudy but starting to get better
- only focused on FC levels and will do a full test of everything this weekend as a data point
- I had some water loss last night and will be keeping an eye on that

I ordered my robot (active 30i) from Marina yesterday and it should arrive later this week... great customer service!

Since the pool is so cloudy I am raking and sweeping blind. From what I can tell I have removed most of the leaves and pine needles from the bottom (not much since it was covered). Any reason I can not throw it in once a day and pull it out after a cleaning? I will continue to sweep regularly but thought the robot could help.

IMG_0031.jpeg

Reactions: Snoobug
Keep your filter going, now is the time for what is called POP (Pool Owner Patience).
Let the filter do its job in cleaning out the cloudiness. Remember to keep your SLAM levels up during this step.

Todays Morning update (Day 4): (pix below)
- More of the same (maintaining FC, Sweeping and practicing POP)
- Water is slowly becoming clearer
- Overnight FC loss was 2. I have not been worried about tracking overnight FC only keeping at SLAM levels. I will probably look at this every other day as the water becomes clearer.
- Up until today, I have been backwashing every 6 hours... I am down to about once every 12 hrs. In a few days (over the weekend), I was thinking about adding DE to my filter... thoughts?
Let the filter do its job in cleaning out the cloudiness

IMG_0038.jpeg

IMG_0037.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.