Green Pool

drewgost

Sep 7, 2016
MA
Hi all,

So I have a company that opens and closes my pool every year, this year I decided to open it myself and this is what I found under the cover. I am in the process of shocking the pool.
My real question is; did the pool company not add the proper chemicals when they closed it last fall? I have always removed the cover myself every year and it has never looked like this.
Any input on fixing this as well would be greatly appreciated.
Last night I added 7 gallons of pool shock, left the pumps running and put the cover back on (it was still very sunny) I will check it later this morning.

Thanks
Drew

Attachments

• Green.jpg
    Green.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 15
Good morning! Hard to know if your pool company did things right or wrong at this point. Lots of places received unseasonably warm weather which prompted a lot of folks to open early. Chlorine from the winter can only last so long. At ths point, you'll need to follow the SLAM Process. That's all you can do now to get back on track. I would leave the cover off as much as possible though so the sun can help to oxidize the combined chlorines generated by the SLAM. Your PoolMath logs haven't been updated in quite a while, so if you would like for us to review your test results, please update or post a set here in this thread.

Hi all,

So I have a company that opens and closes my pool every year, this year I decided to open it myself and this is what I found under the cover. I am in the process of shocking the pool.
My real question is; did the pool company not add the proper chemicals when they closed it last fall? I have always removed the cover myself every year and it has never looked like this.
Any input on fixing this as well would be greatly appreciated.
Last night I added 7 gallons of pool shock, left the pumps running and put the cover back on (it was still very sunny) I will check it later this morning.

Thanks
Drew
Be careful dumping in chlorine willy-nilly. Use your test kit to make sure you don’t go above SLAM level for your current CYA test result.

So I may have put a little extra shock in last night:rolleyes: I have a CYA 0f 40 and FC of 22 (should be 16-hoping this does not hurt anything) with a CC of 0.
I will take the cover of this morning and keep checking per SLAM

Water looks like it's coming along nicely. :goodjob: Stay vigilant with SLAM Process and you should do fine. Don't worry about testing anything other than the FC and occasionally the CC during the SLAM. You can adjust those post-SLAM.

Now that you show a CYA of 50, your SLAM FC level is "20", so do your best to maintain it.

dropped to 4.5 at 3:30 today dumping in another 3-4 gallons now to get back up to 20.
One of the biggest challenges for homeowners is being available to maintain the proper FC level. Life gets in the way. It's tough at times. Consistency is key, but do the best you can to be steady and maintain that SLAM level. You'll get it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here are all of my numbers since starting slam
5/7/23 11:00 AM FC 14,
5/7/23 3:30 PM FC 4.5 add 4 Gal of 12.5% LC
5/8/23 4:00 PM FC 2.0 CYA 30 add 2 Gal LC
5/8/23 5:00 PM FC 11.5
5/9/23 5:30 AM FC 8 Add 1 Gal LC
5/9/23 3:40 PM FC 3 CYA 40 Add 3 Gal (2 quarts more than recommended accidentally)
5/9/23 6:30 PM FC 11.5
Is this what you would expect?
The pool is very clear
I will check FC in the AM
Thanks

Last edited:
Is this what you would expect?
You had some pretty large FC drops during the day. Surprised it fell so much, but good you are trying to keep it where it needs to be. Remember that if the CYA is 30, your FC level should be 12. But if your CYA is 40, the FC should be 16. How are you doing with all the other parts of the SLAM like brushing and inspecting all areas of the pool? Any potential hiding places for algae that you might need help with?

Completely brushed, the only area I have as a potential is behind the two lights, hopefully home in time tonight to pull them out. All other areas look really good will be checking FC before work at 5:30 to see the drop.
When I unscrewed the device they put in the I think its called the leaf catcher at the end of the pool, it was black and full of dead worms and a nasty smell. I hope that is not and issue. I also should clean the filters (cartridge) tonight after all this?

Thanks

Completely brushed, the only area I have as a potential is behind the two lights, hopefully home in time tonight to pull them out. All other areas look really good will be checking FC before work at 5:30 to see the drop.
When I unscrewed the device they put in the I think its called the leaf catcher at the end of the pool, it was black and full of dead worms and a nasty smell. I hope that is not and issue. I also should clean the filters (cartridge) tonight after all this?

Thanks
Whatever the lead catcher thing is, is probably a big part of your problem. Black stuff and dead worms consume chlorine. 😉

Thanks
Yes, clean the filter.

Last night
5/09/23 6:30 PM FC 11.5
This morning
5/10/23 5:10 AM FC 10.5
5/10/23 3:00 PM FC 4.5

Is this still an issue? Overnight dropped only 1.0, I was excited then came home and it dropped 6.0 during the day, it was very sunny today.
I will bring back up to 12 later tonight after the sun goes down.

Thanks

5/10/23 5:00 PM Add 2 Gal LC to bring up FC 13.5
This is what I am using to shock 12.5%

Attachments

• Pool Tech Shock.jpg
    Pool Tech Shock.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Pool Tech Shock_Active Ingredients.jpg
    Pool Tech Shock_Active Ingredients.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 6
5/10/23
5:00 PM FC 13.5

5/11/23
5:30 AM
FC 10.5
add 1 Gal
FC 16.5

6:30 PM
FC 6
Add 1.5 Gal
FC 14

I honestly don't get why I lose so much FC during the day. It was sunny and in the 70's

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.