Jun 29, 2016
MD
I’m at my wits end. When we opened the pool it was cloudy blue and my husband accidentally left the motor unplugged overnight. The water turned extremely dark green/brown. We have high iron and are on well water so we figured that was why and have been trying to treat it since. I had to shock it this past weekend and it looked a lot better, but was still not blue. I added metal out by natural chemistry and now my pool is dark green again. The chlorine is fine, it’s not algae. But Im not sure how to clear this up at this point. Help please!!

Welcome! :wave: Honesatly, I suspect you have both problems - algae and iron. Cloudy is the algae and of course ice tea is the iron. The Natural Chemistry isn't doing much other than change colors. So here's what I would recommend:
1. Address the algae and overall water chemistry first. Do you have a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C test kit? Seeing a full set of test results from one of those would be step #1 for us to help guide you. For algae we follow the SLAM Process to kill and remove algae. A simple shock here or there does nothing. The SLAM Process works, and you must do that BEFORE addressing the iron staining and/or color changes.
2. While battling the algae, the elevated FC level will aggravate the iron. That's a perfect time to filter as much of it out as you can. See the link below from another user who used polyfill to help with that. That's a must as well.
3. Once the SLAM Process is complete and you've pass all 3 SLAM criteria, you can let the FC level fall to normal as noted on the FC/CYA Levels and treat any residual iron with a good sequestrant, and of course continue to filter as much as possible.

That's a basic get-well plan. If you have any questions, let us know.

Ok, I did that and decided to try biogaurd pool metal plus. Followed instructions to a tee and now the pool is cloudy blue. Do I let the filter run and it’ll eventually clear up? Or do I add more of the metal remover?

Cloudy could still be related to the algae concern I noted above. Algae must always be treated first because you need an elevated FC level to kill algae - see SLAM Process. Once the SLAM is complete, we then treat for the metals. I think you'll find your best opportunity for overall success by referring back to post #2 above.

Photos are always useful. Who is telling you to add in all those chemical? I am very wary of advice from the pool store as they do a GREAT job of selling you chemicals, but not such great job of getting a blue clear pool that lasts - and they will always default at the end that it is your pool's fault and you will need to drain it and start fresh. PLEASE get a proper testing kit as the pool stores are not accurate and PLEASE listen to the advice here from the experts - they are 100 times more knowledgable than most hourly pool store employees. Can you tell us what you free chlorine and combined chlorine levels are?

I didn’t add a ton of chemicals. I did the SLAM method that took about a week. It was a clear dark brown. I added the biogaurd and it turned it a cloudy blue.
I can’t find much on this, but some other thread said they had the same issue and just let their filter run and it cleared up on its own. It just took two weeks. I want to make sure.
The first picture is before it was slammed. The second is the cloudy blue.

Attachments

• 0AC87456-7E11-45E6-A7BD-DA8E44E70F4E.jpeg
    0AC87456-7E11-45E6-A7BD-DA8E44E70F4E.jpeg
    437.9 KB · Views: 14
  • C1A5943E-E1F6-4F66-B7E5-E4308191BF5C.jpeg
    C1A5943E-E1F6-4F66-B7E5-E4308191BF5C.jpeg
    323.2 KB · Views: 14
Post current test results from your own testkit - TF-100 or K-2006

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Water temp

Also fill out your signature listing info about your pool and equipment. See my signature and that ofTexas Splash above for what to include. List your test kit there as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.