Green pool won’t go away!!

Jun 26, 2018
Wapakoneta, OH
My green has been an ongoing problem since the beginning of June! I have shocked and chlorinated, swept and brushed til my arms fell off. Changed and cleaned filters twice a day every day. I’ve SLAMmed twice and currently doing a 3, 2, 1 shock recommended by the pool store. And of course they say my phosphates are too high, bought their liquid phosphate remover at a last ditch effort; used it before starting the 3, 2, 1 shock which I did 2 nights of 3 packs, 2 nights of 2 packs, last night did 1 pack and I’m still green. Current test results are FC 7.5, CC 2, pH 7.5, CH 350, TA 90 and CYA 40. I am at a complete loss...

Attachments

• C6E3315D-22E9-4B12-BC5A-75630CBD79D2.jpeg
    C6E3315D-22E9-4B12-BC5A-75630CBD79D2.jpeg
    417.2 KB · Views: 23
I don't know what you did in your last tries at the SLAM Process or where you think you are now. A FC of 7.5 is normal for CYA 40 but will not fix an algae problem. Filtering does not fix algae. You need to decide if you want to follow our methods or the pool stores.

Our answer is you need to follow the SLAM Process step by step with no shortcuts until you meet the three exit criteria. You need to brush frequently and search for algae hidden around ladders or light niches.

Definitely SLAM. IT worked for me and I am grateful. Your pool will get confused if you SLAM and do what the pool store tells you. Its one or the other. I also found a nice pile of leaves in the middle of my pool that I could not get to - I had a friend go in and scoop it all out.

So at a CYA of 40 your slam number is 16FC. I would get it up to 16 and keep it there until you pass all three steps. Don't dump anything else in the pool. Keep on brushing and look for hidden algae. Mine was hiding on the back of the pool steps.

So at a CYA of 40 your slam number is 16FC. I would get it up to 16 and keep it there until you pass all three steps. Don't dump anything else in the pool. Keep on brushing and look for hidden algae. Mine was hiding on the back of the pool steps.

Please follow the SLAM Process step by step. The first step is not to add FC.

Well, technically the first step of the SLAM process is to raise the FC since he already has current test results:
SLAM:
  • Test the FC level and add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level (see here for correct shock level)
But yes, make sure all the prerequisites are met before starting the process!

Well, technically the first step of the SLAM process is to raise the FC since he already has current test results:
SLAM:
  • Test the FC level and add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level (see here for correct shock level)
But yes, make sure all the prerequisites are met before starting the process!

Anyone who thinks the SLAM Process begins with that "technicality" is why folks are not successful with it.

The "prerequisites" are a critical part of the process and seem to be often overlooked.

I don't think my post was instructional on how to slam. I was making sure he understood what his SLAM level was and not to let it go down until the three criteria were met. I saw you posted the SLAM link above me so there was no need to post it again. Thanks for the clarification though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have an intex pool with intex original equipment which includes a 12in sand filter.
I followed SLAM Process to the best of my ability. Meaning there were 3-4 days at a time that I wasn’t able to vacuum. Just brush in the am before working a 16 hour shift. 3 days straight. But these are my results. 100+ tadpoles later and tons of debris we can finally swim again. But it is a PROCESS. Not a one or two day thing and say “oh it isn’t working” and move on to another way.

Note-I’m still slamming because it isn’t crystal clear yet.

Attachments

• 36143C72-48CE-443D-9EB0-EC1B8F77E4C5.jpeg
    36143C72-48CE-443D-9EB0-EC1B8F77E4C5.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: johnnykhai
Thank you all for your replies. I’m an impatient person and probably did not SLAM long enough. Started SLAMming again Wednesday evening. I’ve been keeping my chlorine at a consistent as possible 16ppm; I work 2nd shift so I brush or vacuum in the mornings and check/chlorine morning, before work and after. I’m changing/cleaning filters in the morning and after work. I’ve seen little improvement in the water color but am seeing a consistent amount of green slime on the filter and less sitting on top of the pool. Here’s to SLAMming on!

For that reason, we recommend using only liquid chlorine (or a SWG), both for normal maintenance and for SLAMing, unless you're trying to raise your CYA or going to be out of town and don't have anyone to add chlorine for you (and even then you should be cognizant of the CYA you're adding). Don't use pucks/trichlor/dichlor unless you want higher CYA, and if you are SLAMming, you want it to be as close to 30 as you can manage to keep the FC levels reasonable.

I’ve been SLAMming for 2 weeks now, when I started my CYA was 40. I checked it this morning and it has risen to 60. I’ve been using either 6% or 10% liquid bleach/chlorinator, I haven’t added anything else to the pool since I started SLAMming.

Could be testing error either before or now - the CYA test is the most subjective / difficult test in the Taylor kit.

How is the pool looking? Is it still green or did it go to blue/cloudy yet? 2 weeks is a long time to stay green and makes me think there's organic matter at the bottom of the pool that might need to be removed if possible.

I would up FC to the CYA level of 60 in the chart and keep it going. Other option is to drain about 1/3 to 1/2 of the pool and refill to lower both the CYA and the organic matter in the pool.

First picture is today second is from 2 weeks ago when I started. It’s still green! I’ve vacuumed to the best of my ability 3 times a week and swept the remaining days. I believe I’m at the point of draining and starting over. I added 136oz of 10% this morning to bring FC up to 24 per the chart. If I don’t see any improvement by the time I get home from work tonight I may hook up the hose to drain. What is your suggestion?

Attachments

• 4BCE210E-234A-4620-8019-8F5F8434FB91.jpeg
    4BCE210E-234A-4620-8019-8F5F8434FB91.jpeg
    417.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 1A70132B-50C4-44FC-8FED-6F84F420DACE.jpeg
    1A70132B-50C4-44FC-8FED-6F84F420DACE.jpeg
    426.7 KB · Views: 14

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.