Green Pool on Opening -Vacuum to Waste or SLAM and use filter ?

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
Hey guys:
Much to my dismay my pool opened green. I used a mesh cover, closed it properly with baquacil but still green. I may have waited too long to open, not sure.
Anyway, I have a Hayward pump and Hayward sand filter.
I already vacuumed a ton of Algae to waste but its hard to see/get the stuff on the bottom because the pool is green. Should I just run the filter and start slamming ?
Also
....I noticed when Vacuuming to waste my pool pump pressure is at like 3...it is normally at like 10-15 when filtering. Is that normal for going to waste ?
I plan on testing next, I have the kit I bought from this site.

Thank you in advance.

MVIMG_20200502_173150.jpg

Follow the SLAM Process. Test the water, get CYA to 30 ppm (or whatever it is within reason) and pH to 7.2. Hit it with chlorine.
Great,TY. I checked CYA---its about 30, PH is at 7.2. I have like 10 jugs of Walmart bleach so slamming will begin tomorrow.
I added a jug tonight just to make sure things don't get worse overnight.
I had read vacuuming to waste was the thing to do but that is a pain. I am happy to filter and just backwash.
Do you think adding DE to my skimmer will help speed things ?

You have a way to go before you bother with DE in the filter. When the pool is blue and cloudy for a few days then try the DE trick.

You have a way to go before you bother with DE in the filter. When the pool is blue and cloudy for a few days then try the DE trick.
OK---Here is what my measurements look like with the TF-100 kit last night:
Pre SLAM
CYA around 30 (I dont THINK I see the black dot anymore....although I know its there so I am looking for it but I believe it is around 30 or a smidge lower)
PH around 7.3
FC at 0

I added 128 oz of 10% bleach to make sure the Algae would not get worse overnight.
This morning I added some water for an hour or so to bring the pool level a little higher from vacuuming to waste yesterday.

Right before adding a lot of chlorine and running the filter for an hour or so and after adding a little water
PH moved up to 7.6

After adding 256 oz of 10% bleach and running filter for 6 hours
CYA---still around 30
FC is at 15 (no CC)
PH still around 7.6-7.8

I am monitoring...
Having the FC at 15 is a little higher than the chart (which specifies 12)---should I be worried about that ?

It is not a good idea to run the FC above SLAM level. You can damage your liner if done for long periods.

No reason to test anything but FC during a SLAM.

It is not a good idea to run the FC above SLAM level. You can damage your liner if done for long periods.

No reason to test anything but FC during a SLAM.
Thanks for speedy reply. How long is a "long period" ? It is going to be 77 and sunny today so that should knock it down a bit.
OR...should I add some water to dilute it a bit ? My water level is still pretty low

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Test FC often, multiple times a day, math out what you need to add to get back to 12ppm, and add it. Test again when you can and repeat. The more often you can test and get it back to 12ppm the faster it will clear up.

Update:
Pool looks much better. FC was at 13.5 last night and 12.5 this am.
NO CC at all.
I still see some dead Algae at the bottom and a little bit of algae that is not dead. I can definitely see the bottom of the pool though.
I vacuumed a lot of dead algae to waste yesterday but kept the FC level at SLAM level.
Here is a current shot of pool and another of the still alive algae. Cloudy out today but I can see the bottom of the pool easily.
Pool2.pngPool3.png

Reactions: IceShadow
Thought i would update. I got the pool crystal clear and algae free. After a few weeks, a small amount of algae has come up on the crease in the wall where the bottom tapers off and a little more near the stairs. I just brushed it away. My Chlorine level is about 6 PPM. I don't need to SLAM again do I ? Pool is very clear overall.

Monitor your FC loss. You might just need to be brushing your pool a bit more. At least once a week.

Maintain FC in target range for your CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.