Green pool? How best to vacuum after using flocculant?

jstone76

Apr 8, 2021
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Last season, our first with our above-ground pool, the pool turned green almost overnight. I'm not sure if it was algae or pollen, but I used flocculant and then vacuumed with our "pool blaster max." All that did was stir things up. I then resorted to the very slow process of siphoning out the clumps with our garden hose. I ended up doing this 3 or 4 more times throughout the season. It took forever!

I'm hoping to avoid that this season. I see that flocculant requires a manual vacuum, but all the manual vacuum heads (that are fit for a vinyl liner) have rows of brushes. Won't those brushes stir up the (for lack of a better term) clumps too?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum!
One product that should not be used is flocculant. See Non-Recommended Pool Chemicals - Trouble Free Pool
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: wireform
We almost NEVER recommend the use of FLOC. That's some evil stuff :( The only way I know to get it out is to vacuum real, real slow....creeping up on it and sucking it outta there to waste. Not letting it get in your filter.

How is your pool water looking otherwise? Can you give us some test results?? Current ones for:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

How do you sanitize your water normally??

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: mknauss
If you follow TFP you may never see a green pool again. We all came here with pool chemistry issues and learned the TFP methodology and just happens to work really well. It's all backed up with science which is why we preach to stay out of pool stores and do your own water testing via one of the recommended test kits.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.