Green pool cleanup: Use secondary cartridge filter instead of system DE filter?

cg11

Jun 21, 2018
DFW
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi. I debated whether to put this in the algae forum or the pump/filter forum, but I figured since this is mostly an equipment question, I'd post it here.

Due to a series of family emergencies and a timer failure, I recently found myself the proud owner of a 10k gallon swamp in my backyard.

My system runs on a Hayward single speed pump and a DE filter with ONLY backwash and filter settings. No vac to waste, no recirculate. Nothing else.

I've hauled out most of the solid stuff and used a Harris H1572729 ProForce 1 HP Above Ground Pool Pump with my vacuum hoses to vac to "waste" (aka emptied it out to my driveway) most of the sediment from the bottom.

The problem is that I can't run the system installed Hayward pump/DE filter for more than maybe 30 minutes without the pressure spiking to dangerous levels. It's going to cost more time and DE money than I have to even start to make a dent.

I can use the Harris 1 hp for circulation while I start the SLAM but eventually I'm going to need filtration that I can use to "bypass" my DE filter.

Is there a cartridge filter that I could hook up to the Harris 1 hp with my vacuum hoses, without having to do any real plumbing?

If not then would something like the Intex Krystal Clear 2500 gph cartridge filter/pump combo work?

Any other better ideas?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Any filter is going to clog up quickly. The Intex are very small so will also clog quickly.

You could remove the grids from the DE filter so you can circulate the water and start the SLAM Process process to kill all the algae. Once dead, then reinstall the grids and clear up the water.

I know any filter will clog, but my thought was that a couple of reusable cartridges to swap out will end up being less than several bags worth of DE. I can get used equipment from a local guy for practically nothing, so the cost of a unit would be reasonable.

Can I expect the DE filter to clog less quickly after the algae is dead? I was under the impression that there would be just as much matter to filter out, it would just be dead matter.

I was going to ask the same thing. I also am having a hard time cleaning up my swamp and I am pulling my cartridge every hour or so to clean it by hand. It's futile, my system cannot backwash either. So I am guessing via jbizzle's response that the algae all needs to die prior to even bothering with filtration? AKA fall to bottom? If so can we just pull the filters and run the system?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.