Green pool, but readings suggest it's ok....

Jul 19, 2017
Kent
Hello
My pool has gone green. I didn't brush it for a few days or vacuum it for last few weeks, so it doesn't surprise me it's gone green, particularly as we have a tree and all it's leaves are constantly falling in the pool.
What I am surprised about is my readings.
My FC reading has remained pretty consistent, and my CC reading is showing as 0.
For example, my target FC is 4, and I add enough to make it 4. Couple days later its down to 2.5 maybe 1.5 on a particularly sunny day. It's been like this for weeks.
I tried new DPD powder in case it was that but it showed same reading....
I'm slamming it now but wondering how I can do an overnight test if reading is telling me no CC....
Any thoughts?

Ive been using the pool math app so adding chlorine according to that.
My CYA is slightly too low at between 20 -25 and i enter that into the app each time.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by misunderstanding my target amounts please. Not sure i understand 😊

Ive been using the pool math app so adding chlorine according to that.
My CYA is slightly too low at between 20 -25 and i enter that into the app each time.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by misunderstanding my target amounts please. Not sure i understand 😊
So i tested my PH levels which are really high.
TA 225
Ph more than 8
I've ordered some ph reducer
Would the high PH levels affect anything?

Can you elaborate on what you mean by misunderstanding my target amounts please.
cya of 25 is rounded up to 30 which gives a target fc of 4-6ppm
with a minimum of 2ppm fc, you indicated you have dropped to 1.5 at times
i find it best to always have another 2ppm fc margin of error
so if my minimum is 4ppm fc. i never let it drop below 6ppm fc
high ph is nothing to worry about, just add some acid to drop it down to low 7's
eventually your ta will drop and your ph will become stable

Reactions: Jackie G
What test kit are you using?

Do you have a pic of the pool water?
I'm using the Taylor test kit that's recommended on here. Here is a pic of the water looking a little less dark green this morning
Ive just emptied the skimmer and plugged back in to get the leaves and insects sorted as we had a swarm of flying ants last night.
Is it best to leave the skimmer off whilst I'm slamming?

Attachments

• 1595069613688675555124182838807.jpg
    1595069613688675555124182838807.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 22
high ph is nothing to worry about, just add some acid to drop it down to low 7's
Ah, ok soi shouldn't be letting it drop below 4 rather than adding when it's dropped below 4. Is that what
Ah ok. You mean i should keep at 4 and add rather than add when it goes below 4. I see what you mean in that case. Thank you

Ah ok. You mean i should keep at 4 and add rather than add when it goes below 4. I see what you mean in that case. Thank you

Ideally you wouldn’t even want to let it get below 4. Aim to keep it around 6 and add more if it starts getting close to 4. That gives you a little buffer because 2 is your minimum and it should never ever drop below 2.

However, now that it is green you will want to do a SLAM to fix that problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ideally you wouldn’t even want to let it get below 4. Aim to keep it around 6 and add more if it starts getting close to 4. That gives you a little buffer because 2 is your minimum and it should never ever drop below 2.

However, now that it is green you will want to do a SLAM to fix that problem.
I'm doing a SLAM at moment. Thankfully the pool is quickly turning much less green. I am wondering how the readings will tell me if all ok though. The cc still showing as nothing or 0.5.
I'm almost there I think but need another day.

You’re going to need to slam it and kill off the alge plume first thing. Also, have you Been using liquid chlorine 100% of the time?
Yes, liquid chlorine manually. Decided to do that this year rather than use our SWG. It seems to be much easier to control, although clearly I've not been keeping the FC to the level needed. My mistake. Luckily the green has almost gone after a day of doing SLAM

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.