Green pool - again

Sep 7, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
Hello everyone,

I recently posted a thread about problems with my pool turning green real quick. My CH levels were through the roof so I decided to drain the Pool and start over. This was a couple of months ago. Everything was going great up until a couple of weeks ago when my pool turned green overnight. I slipped up and did not check the chlorine thE day before. I’ve been battling trying to get the pool back crystal clear like it was before. I went so far as to replace the sand in my filter. I started the SLAM process on Monday September 7th. I’ve been maintaining a FC level of 14 throughout this time and my pool is still really green. My CYA is 40, PH was at 7.4 before I started the slam. TA at 110, CH at 400. Ive attached a couple of pictures of what it looks like 5 days later. I’m starting to think I’m the problem.

Any tips I could possibly get? During the slam, I’ve brushed the walls twice a day, checked FC multiple times a day. I’m using 10% chlorine from Home Depot.

Attachments

• 799A8C38-ABB8-4F74-96FB-097907E38FCF.jpeg
    799A8C38-ABB8-4F74-96FB-097907E38FCF.jpeg
    332.8 KB · Views: 16
  • DAD29A5D-4093-426F-B4D8-80BA653E89DE.jpeg
    DAD29A5D-4093-426F-B4D8-80BA653E89DE.jpeg
    422.8 KB · Views: 16
SLAM FC for CYA 40 is 16. See FC/CYA Levels

Maintain 16 FC or above. A few ppm makes a difference in how long a SLAM can take.

How often are you checking your FC?

Thanks everyone. During the slam process, I’ve checked my FC 3-4 times per day. Once After the sun goes down and again before the sun rises. I’ll check in between the day as well.

Tonight I’ll be raising my FC to 20ppm and maintaining from there.

Please do it as often as every 2 hours if you can......the more often you test and re-dose, the faster this can work. You goal is to keep the FC at a SLAM level as much as possible because if you drop low, resistant algae can still reproduce.

You're fighting against a determined opponent and its survival or demise is in your control. Go forth and slay the green monster! :alien:

Maddie

Reactions: Maureen03 and Dirk
Small update. I rose my FC to 20ppm and maintained that for a couple of days now. I cleaned behind the pool light and any crevice I could find. My OCLT netted under 1ppm loss overnight, but the pool is still cloudy. Im reading into Diatomaceous Earth on Pool School to filter out the pool since its so cloudy. I will follow up if I see any results, crossing fingers!

At this point I would backwash the DE filter very well and even open it up and make sure grids are clean. That will probably shorten and end the slam quicker even if the PSI has not gone up the necessary 25% yet.

At this point I would backwash the DE filter very well and even open it up and make sure grids are clean. That will probably shorten and end the slam quicker even if the PSI has not gone up the necessary 25% yet.
I think they have a sand filter, but probably a good idea to do a deep clean and potentially add DE to help filter out the dead algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I completely cleaned out the sand filter, replaced the sand, checked the laterals for damage 10 days ago. At this point I feel like the sand filter needs help to get rid of everything. I am not seeing a huge loss of chlorine during the daytime or at all overnight. Just added DE as recommended by the Pool School and keeping an eye on PSI.

Reactions: Dirk
Yes, a bit of DE towards the end of a SLAM process can be helpful. Don't over-do it, and remember that when you backwash you lose all that DE top dressing in the filter and may want to replace it.

Maddie

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.