Bronze Supporter
May 13, 2020
Saratoga Springs, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Over the last week we've had a worsening green algae bloom. We just got a Triton PS cleaner, and the bottom and walls are are clean of debris as of yesterday afternoon. The water is still a pretty deep green though and we can't see the bottom in the deep end. We've had a VERY rainy summer here in upstate NY which brought a lot of tree debris into the pool and prevented me from vacuuming it as often as I would've liked. I think the chemistry is pretty good (FC=3.0, CC=0, CYA=40, Alkalinity=70, pH=7.8). I'm wondering if I should give it 24 hours to start to clear now that the debris is gone, or whether I should SLAM it now. We need to get the pool clear by next Saturday when we're having people over so I'd appreciate any thoughts on the best way to proceed. Thanks.

full

CYA of 40 has a target of 5-7 and a slam level of 20. With Fc @3 your inviting trouble.
The CYA has been hanging around 30 but we just got it up to 40 by using the chlorinator in addition to the liquid.. I'm seeing the FC range at 3-7 in the Pool Math app but know that we're right at the bottom of that range . I think the frequent heavy rain has made things trickier this season. Triton PS manual says it shouldn't be used if the FC was above 4 so we were also trying to be mindful of that.

Triton PS manual says it shouldn't be used if the FC was above 4 so we were also trying to be mindful of that.
That is old school thinking and does not account for CYA, since a FC of 4 with 0 CYA is going to be really harsh water compared to TFP levels.

With that said, chlorine is the most important thing since that is what actually kills the algae not the filter or the cleaner. Those just clean up the algae once it is dead. If it makes you feel better, pull your cleaner and get your FC up to SLAM level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.