Running an OCLT might be tough for him. He would have to shut the chlorine pump off and then load chlorine directly in the morning after the test. And then try to figure out a way to mix the liquid chlorine evenly with over 100,000 gallons of pool water before people arrive.

@red-beard
The op manages multiple pools - the largest is 60k gal I believe. If he feels the algae/ organics is under control in a specific pool there should be no need to chlorinate at night allowing for an oclt & resume chlorination 1st thing in the morning before the pool opens.
Vs the partial slam every night (after hours) that he has been maintaining.

Be aware, the one regulation most public pools have to abide by is that CYA cannot be over a certain level. I've heard as low as 30 in some places. I guess there is some research on kids gulping pool water and CYA ingestion making them sick. I'd try to stay in the ~30 range just to be safe. With using the clarifier and vacuuming to waste, remember, adding new water will continue to lower your CYA. I'd test the CYA every time you do a vacuum to waste and refill.

Edit, just looked it up and the CDC limit on CYA is 15. FYI

Last edited:
Be aware, the one regulation most public pools have to abide by is that CYA cannot be over a certain level. I've heard as low as 30 in some places. I guess there is some research on kids gulping pool water and CYA ingestion making them sick. I'd try to stay in the ~30 range just to be safe. With using the clarifier and vacuuming to waste, remember, adding new water will continue to lower your CYA. I'd test the CYA every time you do a vacuum to waste and refill.

Edit, just looked it up and the CDC limit on CYA is 15. FYI
The cdc only has recommendations for pools -
B4E0AD64-0518-4D26-8B6F-CBFA56E6B0BC.png
The local government/municipality is responsible for implementing & enforcement of rules - currently in the state of Mississippi & the OP’s municipality there is no such oversight for public pools - just a few recommendations. It’s crazy but it’s the really wild wild west restriction wise. He kinda has carte blanche & not much guidance.
Glad he is here & looking to keep the pools safe & gathering information. Unfortunately many caretakers in places like this do not. “Clearish” is sadly, enough for them. The lack of guidelines/restrictions is sort of a blessing & a curse in this instance.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.