Got Zeolite Sand, thought it would be "BETTER"

Thanks for the Helpful information. It really helps us help you!
As you know now I suppose -
*copper is not something you want in the water.
*Magic erasers are good for scrubbing things but that’s about it.
*There are no true magic fixes.
*Large doses of Cal hypo cause cloudiness - this can take some time to go away.
*Algae (dead & alive) cause cloudiness.

Things you may not be aware of-
Metal Sequestrants often cause cloudiness, especially large doses. This can last a week or more.
Sequestrants do not remove the metals from the water, they just hide it. (Keep it sequestered)
To keep the metals hidden you must keep replenishing the sequestrant regularly. This can get expensive.
The only way to truly reduce the metal levels in the water is to replace the metal laden water with fresh.

Synopsis -
*To deal with copper you will either need to keep using sequestrants or exchange some water to reduce the level. (Tell us more about your pool type for advice on water exchange)
*You have quite a few things contributing to the cloudiness- it will take time for the filter to get the upper hand.
Until then you can do 2 things-
Keep with slam
&
you can also add a little pool grade DE or cellulose fiber to your sand filter to help catch the finer particles.
Follow these instructions- *you should be sure you will be around to watch the psi and backwash as needed as it can rise quickly.

Here’s some other helpful information

Thanks for the Helpful information. It really helps us help you!
As you know now I suppose -
*copper is not something you want in the water.
*Magic erasers are good for scrubbing things but that’s about it.
*There are no true magic fixes.
*Large doses of Cal hypo cause cloudiness - this can take some time to go away.
*Algae (dead & alive) cause cloudiness.

Things you may not be aware of-
Metal Sequestrants often cause cloudiness, especially large doses. This can last a week or more.
Sequestrants do not remove the metals from the water, they just hide it. (Keep it sequestered)
To keep the metals hidden you must keep replenishing the sequestrant regularly. This can get expensive.
The only way to truly reduce the metal levels in the water is to replace the metal laden water with fresh.

Synopsis -
*To deal with copper you will either need to keep using sequestrants or exchange some water to reduce the level. (Tell us more about your pool type for advice on water exchange)
*You have quite a few things contributing to the cloudiness- it will take time for the filter to get the upper hand.
Until then you can do 2 things-
Keep with slam
&
you can also add a little pool grade DE or cellulose fiber to your sand filter to help catch the finer particles.
Follow these instructions- *you should be sure you will be around to watch the psi and backwash as needed as it can rise quickly.

Here’s some other helpful information
Thank you so much for all that information.
The pool is an Intex above-ground 20x52, around 8900 gallons. The filter is the Intex Sand 14 inches, with about 77# of sand. I guess I'll replace some of the water as my wife suggested at the beginning. 😂
The only thing that still puzzles me is when I came back and shocked the pool at the beginning, it was crystal clear, with the dirty bottom from the dead algae. That only lasted one day. Then I brushed it instead of vacuuming it. I wish it could go back to that so that I can vacuum the bottom.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Follow the SLAM process to a T. Print it out, read it three times, keep it with you...Link==>SLAM Process
I wish it could go back to that so that I can vacuum the bottom.
Would not have mattered. You still had algae at that point.
But about the copper, will that turn my water cloudy? I don't think it has enough to stain as I have not seen any evidence of it.
Will not turn water cloudy.

Reactions: jorlando
It may be helpful to replace some water - lessen the load on the small filter.
This will also help dilute the copper level.
But you should still follow the
SLAM Process to completion .
The copper won’t turn it cloudy but can discolor the water (usually emerald green)
Or turn fingernails & blonde hair green.
This happens when the copper is oxidized by the chlorine- similar to the Statue of Liberty 🗽 (she’s made of copper but she is oxidized now).
As the sequestrant wears off this is a possibility at higher fc levels.

Reactions: jorlando
The filter is really small for the size of your pool, so that is also going to affect the amount of time it takes to clear your pool.

Reactions: Mdragger88
The filter is really small for the size of your pool, so that is also going to affect the amount of time it takes to clear your pool.
Actually is too big for the pool. It came with a small cartridge filter and I upgraded to the 14 inch Intex. It actually called for the 8 inch which goes up to 9000 gallons but the 14 inch goes from 5500 to 17000 gallons, so got this one and it's worked flawlessly until now. It's only an 8900 gallon pool.

Intex woefully undersizes their pump/filter combo units. 14” sand filter is not too big for your pool, I assure you.

I’m not saying you need to run out and buy a new one - you are just going to need to be patient with the amount of time it may take to clear it, and due to size, you’ll likely have to backwash more frequently.

How does everything look today?

Intex woefully undersizes their pump/filter combo units. 14” sand filter is not too big for your pool, I assure you.

I’m not saying you need to run out and buy a new one - you are just going to need to be patient with the amount of time it may take to clear it, and due to size, you’ll likely have to backwash more frequently.

How does everything look today?
Gotcha, thanks for the info. This pump was not combined with the pool. Based on the specs I went with the biggest pump that would handle the 8900 gallons.
It took about a month and we emptied all about 25% and refilled. We did this because we couldn't see the bottom. Now it's all clear, but definitely took about a month to clear up. I'm still getting sand at the bottom of the pool. Not too much, but enough that the vacuum is picking it up. That's the vacuum bottom. , looks like a lot but it's not. Would that be dead algae or sand from the pump?1000044734.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support