Edge70

May 16, 2021
Belleville Ontario Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I wish I could say that I've installed a new SWG, but unfortunately I can not. Due to limited availability right now in Canada and the fact that I have an Auto Cover, I'm going to install a pump to help minimize the daily effort required to keep the pool pristine. I think a SWG would still be fine with my Auto Cover but I've been advised not to due it because of the aluminum tracks.... So, I'll start with this pump and see how manageable this method is. If it doesn't work out, I can always do the SWG later and repurpose this pump in my plant somewhere. Here's what arrived today :)

IMG_6458.jpg

Ran to Lowes at lunch and this simple plumbing modification should allow me to add the injection port and get this pump up and running.

IMG_6459.jpg

Wish me luck!

Reactions: newdude and SJPoe
Using Pool Math, Based on my pool size of 86,000 Liters, using 12% Bleach, I'm thinking that adding 2.5L a day should be a good place to start. This will raise FC by 3.6 which seems to be somewhat close to what I lose on a daily basis with pool in the full sun (South Exposure) and a CYA value of 30. My pump can move a little less then 2L and hour so I am thinking of setting up the programmable timer built into the pump to run in 15 min increments throughout the day to slowly dose the chlorine into the pool. Probably do something at 9am, 12pm, 3pm, 7pm and 12am. Seems like a good starting plan anyhow. Can tweak from there. Has to be better than the nightly dump I currently do.

Just a quick update, it's been a week since I installed my Stenner pump and I haven't added a drop of bleach directly to my pool. My initial settings had FC drop to about 4 so I added a few minutes to each of my 5 cycle times and now I hold FC at 5 PPM every day. This isn't the best solution in the world as I still have to add LC to a storage tank, but it's way better than what I was doing. A SWCG would most likely be better but this is still really good. I believe it keeps a more steady feed of chlorine in the pool as well which has to be better than daily spikes. To me, it's money well spent and it gives me a bit more freedom to trust that the pool is in good shape when we travel. When we are home, I still test frequently to ensure things are in line but I highly recommend this solution as a good alternative to SWG.

Here are a few pics of my equipment pad. I didn't take one of the pump setup. The pump is in the utility room of my home which is fairly close to this pad. Probably required about 15ft of tube to get it from the pump to the injection site. I used black tubing for UV resistance as this pad is on the south east side of my home. The most difficult part of the entire job was getting a hole through the wall of my house for the tube. Other than this, it was very simple. The PVC fitting was simple to install and configuring the pump only took a few minutes. Currently I pump out of a 20L container of 12% bleach. I've ordered a larger container that will give me more storage. You'll notice the upper loop of pipe on my brick wall is so that I can feed return water to that blue heat exchanger. I've seen posts from others on this site that heat exchangers don't work well. In my case, this works pretty well. I can raise the temp in my pool by about 1°F every 2 hours. It's not as fast as a dedicated gas heater but it works for us. Since we have an autocover on our pool, once we get the temp up, we can keep the heat for the most part. Our boiler is about 150,000BTU in size and it's not in use in the summer very much other than to heat a bit of hot water. The boiler is a lot more efficient than a gas fired heater as well. Note, we don't use that inline chlorinator any more.... that was the source of my problem before :) I wouldn't be opposed to it if I had to drop a few pucks in there to raise CYA but in that event, I'd stop the Stenner pump so as to not mix LC and Pucks at the same time.

equip1.jpgequip2.jpgequip3.jpgequip4.jpg

Attachments

• equip4.jpg
    equip4.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.