Gone for week !!! HELLP. NEW POOL OWNER :)

iwillhaveapoolthissummer

Apr 13, 2021
riverside, ca usa
Hello everyone. Thank you all for your time. I confess, I wasn't testing and doing what I should be doing. I'm a new above ground pool owner.

my set up - 6000 gallon above ground vinyl pool
filter intex sand pump filter with salt water chlorinator
tester k-2006

I had the pool for a couple months, and I assumed because I got a salt water chlorinator . Everything would be magical and I wouldn't need anything but salt. I failed. My pool is not clear anymore. The system seemed to be doing fine. I would occasionally have to add some chlorine after swims to bring it back up.

Lately I've been finding what seems to be a lot of dirt on the floor. I'm hoping someone can tell me if it could be something else. I'm not sure if I vacuum it, that its going through the filter and coming right back out??? Because i swear it will be back on the floor the next day. Not as much but its there. I doubt there is that much dirt flying everywhere.

Things i'm dealing with. Bees and mosquitos going in pool. Possible bee pollen? Should I use the cover???
It also looks like I have some kind of algae :/

Here are my test results from the pool. I left for a week with no maintenance and came back to this. I'm about to go to pool supply store so i can try and save this water. Any help or advice will be good.

Cya-about 40 ppm (I had a pool leak, i'm wondering if this is why this has gotten low or maybe because my ph is high.
Free Chlorine - .2 parts per million ( I know thats bad, I don't know if my chlorinator is working like it should be or if its because cya is low.
Combined chlorine -0

PH 8.0+ (I just added about 1 lbs of Dry acid sodium bisulfate to pool. My calculations said i need to add 2lbs 6 oz)

alkalinity test-TA - 240 ppm
Calcium hardness -230

i'm not sure how my ph and alkalinity got so high, i'm currently trying to bring it down. Last time I spoke to someone at Lesleys pools they said because we have really hard water here in our city.

last question. I bought a used intex filter that was only 1 year old, The sand was a little below the minimum sand level. I'm thinking I should replace the sand with new sand. Maybe this is causing some issues. Long post I'm sorry. Maybe i'm just venting.

Attachments

• IMG_8500 2.JPG
    IMG_8500 2.JPG
    571.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8499 2.JPG
    IMG_8499 2.JPG
    624.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8501.JPG
    IMG_8501.JPG
    251.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I'm a new above ground pool owner.
I remember. I promised you that you *would* have a pool this summer. Thanks for not making me eat my words. 😁
Lately I've been finding what seems to be a lot of dirt on the floor. I'm hoping someone can tell me if it could be something else
Its almost certainly algae. It may be algae ++ others, But step one if you think something is amiss is to rule out algae. You need to Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
I'm about to go to pool supply store so i can try and save this water
Any help or advice will be good
Here = totally awesome and we’ll fix you. There = SO not totally awesome. You will leave heavy on unnecessary products that mask the problem, and with a much lighter wallet.

#2 because fat fingers. :
PH 8.0+ (I just added about 1 lbs of Dry acid sodium bisulfate to pool. My calculations said i need to add 2lbs 6 oz)
What’s done is done. Switch to MA going forward. The dry acid leaves sulfates behind that can eat your SWG and cause other issues as well.
alkalinity test-TA - 240 ppm
No worries now. But run the test again. Make sure to squeeze gentle, gravity fed drops that are repeatable. And wipe the bottle tip with each drop. I suspect your kit is still new and it’s wonky for TA without wiping the first bunch of times. It typically results in high #s for people when it’s not that bad.
Last time I spoke to someone at Lesleys pools they said because we have really hard water here in our city.
K. Make it the last time. For real. You might as well ask your dog. At least he is lovable and will lick your face when he doesn’t know.
last question. I bought a used intex filter that was only 1 year old, The sand was a little below the minimum sand level. I'm thinking I should replace the sand with new sand
Unless you used floccs or clarifier from the pool store, Sand is a bazillion years old and will last another bazillion. It’s good.
Maybe i'm just venting
Vent away. We’re here to help.

But yeah, Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to prove that you are seeing dead algae or algae being killed. Then it’s time to SLAM Process. It should be somewhat easier starting with clear water. I suspect the SWG saved you big time keeping the swamp at bay. Go pet it and tell it that it’s a good boy. Rub its little ears.

keep us posted. :)

@Newdude sorry that is what I meant. I'm going to go ahead and slam away. Its obvious algae. On the charts and calculator its saying i should bring chlorine up to 16-24 ppm (if yellow algae) . Does this sound correct to you? Just want to make sure. Thank you. Also is it hard for it to come back down so its safe to swim? I feel like that is a big difference from normal 2-3 ppm recommended.

Thank you

Reactions: Newdude
SLAM is 40% of CYA so 16 is your target. Mustard algae is always possible after, but usually not.

Swimming is totally safe from minimum to actual SLAM level. You need to see bottom for swimmer safety. You are clear so all good there.

Read the slam guide a few times. Take a break to process and read her up again.

here’s the cheat sheet to help it make more sense as you read :

Lower PH to 7.2. FC 10 or above invalides the PH test results. Starting ‘low’ buys you the time the slam takes.

M for maintain the 16 FC. Test / add every 2 hours. The less you do, the longer it takes. If life pulls you away a lot, we get it. We all get it. But understand it’s you and not the process when it drags on.

brush and vac daily. Algae grows a biofilm to protect itself from the harsh environment. Each time you remove a protective layer, the next one is killed. At least once a day. Vac to waste kills 2 birds with one stone if you don’t miss the water lost.

backwash the filter when the psi rises 25% over normal.

post up any questions or thoughts.

we LOVE pics.

keep us posted.

@Newdude hello, i started the slam process again. I did a second test to check the ph and it was about 7.9-8.0 this time. I didn't have to add as much to bring down the ph since i already had added some sodium bisulfate.

I tested alkalinity this time and it was higher, from yesterday it went from 240 to 260. i did what you told me. Wife off and squeeze easily.

I went to the store and got some liquid chlorine shock and some MA.

I added enough MA today in hopes to bring PH down to ph down to 7.6 ( I didn't test it after though) praying it was enough
I also started to slam . Its been going on for about 5 hours now and I have test FC 3 times now.

first hour of slam 10.5 ppm
second check 11 ppm
third check 12.5 ppm

(is it okay for my FC to fall this fast? I read somewhere you shouldn't let it fall more than 1ppm)

I went ahead and backwashed my filter and rinsed it right after my first vaccum. A lot of green water came out. I hope it was okay to do it now.

When i first installed sand filter it was a couple inches below the minimum sand requirement. I bought some new sand. Do you think I can just add to the filter? or should i wait?

I also bought a sand cleaner that is blue in color liquid. Do you think this is needed. I purchased and used it when i first installed used pool pump. (2 months ago)

thanks for your help :) this is so satisfying learning new things. Weird, but i'm kinda glad my pool got to this hahaha

Attachments

• IMG_8543.JPG
    IMG_8543.JPG
    409.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
@Newdude hello, i
:wave:
didn't have to add as much to bring down the ph since i already had added some sodium bisulfate
Ok good. Use up what you have and switch to MA.

tested alkalinity this time and it was higher, from yesterday it went from 240 to 260. i did what you told me. Wife off and squeeze easily
That’s OK too. At least we are sure this time. It doesn’t matter tor now. We’ll get to it after the SLaM.
I went to the store and got some liquid chlorine shock and some MA
So you already switched. (y)(y)(y)
I also started to slam . Its been going on for about 5 hours now and I have test FC 3 times now.

first hour of slam 10.5 ppm
second check 11 ppm
third check 12.5 ppm

(is it okay for my FC to fall this fast? I read somewhere
Switch to 2 hours. For *some* downtime. Lol. Invariably things will come up to pull you away. Don’t sweat it if life gets busy. Also don’t sweat the #s. The important part is Maintaining. If you lose 1 or 6, Maintain the slam level. That’s the key. The drop in FC might give you an idea how much algae was killed in the last span. But it proves you’re on the right track. Once it holds on its own you shift to a filtering out fight while you still maintain the elevated FC just in case.
I went ahead and backwashed my filter and rinsed it right after my first vaccum. A lot of green water came out. I hope it was okay to do it now
You can backwash more if you’d like without harm. Ironically a slightly dirty filter will clean better because the crud will trap more crud as it restricts the filter flow. So +25% psi cleanings are needed. Anything else is extra. It does all have to go eventually though, So no real harm if you clean too much.
(Side note. I LOVE extra folks. You are giving it the attention it deserves. And bravo).
When i first installed sand filter it was a couple inches below the minimum sand requirement. I bought some new sand. Do you think I can just add to the filter? or should i wait
If you haven’t gummed it up with floccs or clarifiers from the pool store, a backwash and/or deep clean will make the bazillion year old sand good for another bazillion years.
I also bought a sand cleaner that is blue in color liquid. Do you think this is needed. I purchased and used it when i first installed used pool pump. (2 months ago
Sounds like a magic potion from the pool store. Sell it or return it.
thanks for your help :) this is so satisfying learning new thing
I was crystal clear when you joined about 3things.

1). We got you
2). You got this
3). You would have a pool.
:)

Hi @Newdude h it going

I was wondering what I can do if I need to be gone for 10 hours

yesterday my ppm was averaging 12 everytime I checked. Last night it didn’t change much in 3 hours. Only dropped .5 ppm and was at 15.5

However this morning 8 hours later it was down to 10.5 ppm

I need to go to work soon. I was wondering if I can over shock it. Maybe bring it up to 20 ppm . Just so I know the chlorine will still be in there for when I get back.

I’ll be gone 10 hours today

thank you

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I need to go to work soon. I was wondering if I can over shock it. Maybe bring it up to 20 ppm
It burns off faster above SLAM level and doesn’t kill to the ratio you overshot, erasing any perceived benefits.

Life gets in the way for all of us. There will still be progress going on even if the levels dip a good deal. The key is you won’t lose ground and you’ll resume slightly better than you left off when the schedule allows.

Going much over SLAM risks damage to the pool surface and equipment.

@Newdude

I can’t thank you enough: it blows my mind that You don’t even know me and you’re helping me as much as you are. I love this community. My pool is looking really good. So good I’m ready to jump in it. I wanted to ask you though . My chlorine test levels keep falling. Even though my pool is really clear. I clean all the creases in the pool liner. And have been vacuuming and brushing. Today In about 4 hours it was at 10.5 ppm chlorine. I’m wondering if the chlorine is not at strong as it say or if my pool still has algae and other things inside even though pool is very clear. It’s been 4 days now of the slam. And I’ve used about 5 gallons of 10% chlorine:

I owe you and thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 0AE2DD47-2DA3-4B2F-AEE0-CFB7F0C22C5D.jpeg
    0AE2DD47-2DA3-4B2F-AEE0-CFB7F0C22C5D.jpeg
    607.1 KB · Views: 20
  • D01158C6-5FE1-418E-807D-C2C5247173BC.jpeg
    D01158C6-5FE1-418E-807D-C2C5247173BC.jpeg
    434 KB · Views: 20
it blows my mind that You don’t even know me and you’re helping me as much as you are.
I was free that day. :) if I'm busy tomorrow there is a small army of folks who can step in.
I love this community
It *IS* Infecting, isn't it ?
I’m wondering if the chlorine is not at strong as it say
Its totally possible to have a bad jug. Did you test 30 mins after adding to verify you reached the target ? Without doing so you could have been several FC low to start. Once you test it and see it, it's there. If you lose it after that, you lost it.
or if my pool still has algae
Also possible.
pool is very clear
It's looking GREAT !!!!! But keep with SLAM until the 3 criteria are met

Clear water. ✅
Pass Overnight Chlorine Loss Test ❓
CCs .5 or less. ❓

Reactions: Ckb3
Wow, I totally missed this thread. Luckily for me I've never had to SLAM yet (Knocks on wood desk), so I'll leave the slam coaching to the experts in that department, but you are doing a great job! The pool looks great! When you started the thread, anything on the bottom was blurry, now look how clear!

If you haven't taken out your ladder and scrubbed it with a water and bleach solution, do that to make sure you got ALL the algae! :)

@Newdude

Hi 👋 I have not been able to pass the over night test - not dropping my chlorine levels overnight

Overnight it drops sometimes 1-4 ppm
In a whole day it will drop 10 ppm

My pool is crystal clean; I’ve backwashed a couple times, I keep sweeping and vacuuming

pool has been running for 24 a day since I started slam . I’m getting tired of putting so much chlorine and testing hahah.

I don’t know if I need to put a cover over my pool. I get bugs flying in there . Bird will poop in it once and a while .
Maybe I need to deep clean my filter ? Or change the sand?

anyone ? Any help? It’s been a while since i started slam process. Pool has been clear for almost two weeks now

Overnight it drops sometimes 1-4 ppm
In a whole day it will drop 10 ppm
Oooof. That’s crazy two weeks after it’s been clear.
Maybe I need to deep clean my filter ? Or change the sand?
Yes. See section 1.2.

the sand lasts forever unless it’s been gummed up with floccs and clarifiers. Normally the OP is ok just backwashing but there isn’t anything left for you to try and 4 PPM overnight means *something* is eating your chlorine. We did the ladder and that’s all you have.

Report back with what the sand looks like once you get in there. You should know if you are washing gunk out.

I don’t know if I need to put a cover over my pool. I get bugs flying in there . Bird will poop in it once and a while
Everybody gets both. Most are blissfully unaware 99% of the time

@Newdude
I think I’m gaining some traction here. I deep cleaned out the filter and only lost 1.5 ppm of fc over night. I didn’t vacuum , so I’m hoping that’s part of the problem.
I’m going to attempt to vacuum that same night I do a over night test. I was wondering. Does anyone know if keeping the pool pump on overnight burns any of the chlorine .

lastly, I’ve been spending so much money on chlorine, my pool is clear. Last night my pool got down to 2ppm of FC. I turned on my chlorine generator and 8 hours later I had 6ppm of FC. Is it possible to finish the slam only using my chlorine generator? I must have dumped over $150 of chlorine in that thing and have yet to finish the slam process.

I didn’t vacuum , so I’m hoping that’s part of the problem
Maybe, but usually you are vac-ing already dead algae that fell to the floor, which points to recently killed algae. It’s still algae tho, so it might help the OCLT performed after it.
Does anyone know if keeping the pool pump on overnight burns any of the chlorine .
No. The pump only circulates to mix the chems and so the filter can do its thing.
Is it possible to finish the slam only using my chlorine generator
In theory yes. Your demand has dropped considerably and the SWG *may* keep up.

BUT

at this stage you can’t add any FC overnight to skew the OCLT. You can have it help during the day if you keep tabs on it to verify it’s reaching target, but it has to go off to OCLT. You also aren’t saving all that much on liquid now because you are using so much less. Most of the $150 was blown during the hard part of the fight. Which you did admirably, I might add. You got this.

@Newdude

hi thanks for getting back to me. I’m so confused haha. This morning is had FC of 6ppm

ive test twice since then and it went to 4 ppm and now 1.5 ppm of FC. I’m guessing because it’s the 90 degree weather. Maybe my CYA is low ? When I tested it before slam it was about 20-30

overnight FC raised 4. Now it’s dropped 4 during the day time . Chlorinator still working the whole time. Not much has changed in pool other than the warm temperatures

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.