Gone for week !!! HELLP. NEW POOL OWNER :)

ive test twice since then and it went to 4 ppm and now 1.5 ppm of FC. I’m guessing because it’s the 90 degree weather. Maybe my CYA is low ? When I tested it before slam it was about 20-30
Run the FC and CYA and post em up.

You are still dosing to SLAM everytime, right ?

We don't want to raise the CYA yet because that will raise your SLAM target. You are probably burning off the FC now to the sun and not algae. Hopefully the OCLT passes soon and you can call it done. Then we raise the CYA and have smooth sailing for the rest of the season.

Yeah, You got this! Don't give up just before the finish line!
@Newdude

I have some great news. I passed OCLT

only lost 1 ppm of FC over night.

I think my issue came from a dirty filter and not vacuuming in the evening.

When can I go back to doing my normal test. Should I wait to chlorine levels are down to 1-4 ppm ?
I really think I’m lacking CYA because yesterday I went from 16 ppm FC down to 1.5 ppm FC in the matter of 12 hours. It was 100 degrees out.

I don’t think my chlorine generator can hold up with that. I was only able to go up 6 ppm of FC over night. Burning 14.5 ppm FC during day is way different. Maybe CyA is my answer ???

have some great news. I passed OCLT
:party::party::party:
When can I go back to doing my normal test. Should I wait to chlorine levels are down to 1-4 ppm
Which normal test ? PH is affected at 10+ FC. All the others should be good either way.

But you have battled WAY to hard to ever let it get to 1FC ever again. Never ever EVER approach minimum FC. It would not hurt one bit to run +3 or +4 above target level for a while until you figure out the CYA issue. If you target actual target level, that’s fine too but watch it like a Hawk until the FC holds. It could be gone in a couple hours like you’ve seen.
I don’t think my chlorine generator can hold up with that. I was only able to go up 6 ppm of FC over night. Burning 14.5 ppm FC during day is way different. Maybe CyA is my answer ??
Most likely. (y) The overnight proves you are gaining FC and the daytime loss with passing the OCLT proves the UV is burning off the FC and it needs to be buffered more.

But just to doublecheck….. you had the SWG off for the OCLT that passed correct ? If you added any FC with the SWG you didn’t pass the test as you skewed the input. As long as the SWG was off, bump the CYA and we’ll go from there.

:party::party::party:

Which normal test ? PH is affected at 10+ FC. All the others should be good either way.

But you have battled WAY to hard to ever let it get to 1FC ever again. Never ever EVER approach minimum FC. It would not hurt one bit to run +3 or +4 above target level for a while until you figure out the CYA issue. If you target actual target level, that’s fine too but watch it like a Hawk until the FC holds. It could be gone in a couple hours like you’ve seen.

Most likely. (y) The overnight proves you are gaining FC and the daytime loss with passing the OCLT proves the UV is burning off the FC and it needs to be buffered more.

But just to doublecheck….. you had the SWG off for the OCLT that passed correct ? If you added any FC with the SWG you didn’t pass the test as you skewed the input. As long as the SWG was off, bump the CYA and we’ll go from there.
Yes correct salt water generator was off. I’ll be adding CYA tomorrow. thank you. I’ll for sure be keeping a closer eye on my FC

thank you

Reactions: newdude
* have lots of FAV parts of TFP, but my FAV-iest FAV is we are forever linked. You can go 5 seasons trouble free and post a rando question and I’ll see it and be all ‘Whattup CUZ ??!!!!!!! ‘

@Newdude thanks for everything.
I really didn’t want to go to leslies today but I wanted to get cya started since it’s my day off. I’m going with this powder version. I should be good right ? I don’t want leslies doing any funny business lol

just did a cya test and it’s looking like I have zero cya in my pool. Water is clear as can be and I can see clear dot all the way through 🤦🏽‍♂️

Attachments

• 0F3EDDC7-09C3-4BBA-883A-A1A0C8D9E07C.jpeg
    0F3EDDC7-09C3-4BBA-883A-A1A0C8D9E07C.jpeg
    277.4 KB · Views: 5
  • BB1675C9-A47A-45AE-930F-0186E80141C1.jpeg
    BB1675C9-A47A-45AE-930F-0186E80141C1.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
@Newdude thanks for everything.
I really didn’t want to go to leslies today but I wanted to get cya started since it’s my day off. I’m going with this powder version. I should be good right ? I don’t want leslies doing any funny business lol

just did a cya test and it’s looking like I have zero cya in my pool. Water is clear as can be and I can see clear dot all the way through 🤦🏽‍♂️
That's the stuff. Best to put it in a sock, either in your skimmer or in front of your return. Let is soak for 30 minutes, then squeeze, will help get it in the water. Use Pool Math to figure out how much. You also might do in increments, 20ppm at a time so you don't overshoot, if you are not confident in your pool volume. Will also help you understand what the test looks like.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.