Goldline Automation - Actuator Help

Sep 19, 2018
Baltimore, MD
Very new to this forum, albeit I've searched quite a bit and still need help.
Apologies if my question has been answered, would appreciate the thread link.
I just acquired a new pool with full automation.

My setup is a Pool + Spa STD. Two automated 24v actuators. One for Pool/Spa Suction and one for Pool/Spa Return.

As I understand it, the pool mode should set the return valve to pool only. My cam stop is mostly pool and a little SPA.
The SPA mode should be SPA only - and that works accordingly.
Its the spillover that is confusing me. When enabled and selected, the Smart Control is triggering the return actuator back to Pool Mode.

I understood spillover was supposed to keep actuator in the SPA mode, and just adjust the suction valve back to pool mode.
So in effect, my Smart Controller is setting pool and spillover mode identically.
But I cannot figure out to re-train the Smart Controller valves 1 & 2. Is that even possible?

Should I even care?

When in pool mode, since there is no spa suction and a little spa return it spills over anyway. I assume this is intentional.

s,

Welcome to TFP... A great place to find the answers to all of your "Golden" questions... :shark:

You should have three modes..

Pool Mode, sucks water from the Pool and returns water to the Pool

Spa mode, sucks water from the Spa and returns water to the Spa

Spillover mode. sucks water from the Pool and returns water to the Spa.

What you should do with automation is schedule the spillover 2 or 3 times a day for half an hour to keep the spa water fresh. Some people do not want to do this, so they mechanically set the return valve so that is always lets some water go to the Spa.

If this were my pool I would mechanically set the return valve so that is was fully open or fully closed, so that no water went to the spa unless in the spa mode or spillover mode.

Thanks,

Jim R.

thanks for advice and prompt reply.

The underlying question is why is the controller setting the return to pool in spill over mode? I can watch the actuator and it’s position 1 pool for pool mode and position 2 for spa mode and back to position 1 for spill over mode. So even if it’s out of sync return is going to be same position for pool and spillover and as you stated return should be same position for spa and spillover.

This does not seem like a cam / actuator thing rather a smart controller configuration. No? Can I change that somehow?

again advice and any education is highly welcome.

Any chance that the actuators are reversed?

In pool or spa mode, both turn, so it won't matter or be noticeable. But, for spillover mode, the wrong valve will turn.

In spillover mode, the suction should turn to pull from the pool and return to the spa.

If the actuators are reversed, the suction will pull from the spa and return to the pool.

If you change from pool mode to spillover mode, does the suction change to pull from the spa?

The actuators plug into the controller, if you conclude that they are reversed, you can change where the wires plug in.

Two follow up questions:
1) Jimrahbe you mentioned no SPA water unless in SPA / Spillover. I assume this means to focus all water circulation on pool. Then I assume you mean at some periodic time, to set SPA spillover to allow SPA to circulate on its own. How often should I do that? Its that because of efficiency? or is there some chemistry repercussion with allowing SPA to run spillover when filtering all the time? Sorry new to pool + spas, so I imagine this is such a newbie question.

2) I seem to have a nuance with my setup. The Polaris vacuum has a booster pump. This booster intake is connected to a port out of the main pump prior to filtering or return valve. This means when I am in SPA mode (SPA suction + SPA return), the SPA still looses water and fairly quickly (empty in like 30m), which I believe is because even when booster is off, it sends natural flow of water to the pool. There is a manual valve there. Should that be set to off for booster when in SPA mode? If so, it seems that should be automated. And is that normal, that the booster when off, water still flows through it?

Tomorrow I will check the Smart Controller actuator setup as discussed above. Can't wait to figure this all out.

Two follow up questions:
1) Jimrahbe you mentioned no SPA water unless in SPA / Spillover. I assume this means to focus all water circulation on pool. Then I assume you mean at some periodic time, to set SPA spillover to allow SPA to circulate on its own. How often should I do that? Its that because of efficiency? or is there some chemistry repercussion with allowing SPA to run spillover when filtering all the time? Sorry new to pool + spas, so I imagine this is such a newbie question.

2) I seem to have a nuance with my setup. The Polaris vacuum has a booster pump. This booster intake is connected to a port out of the main pump prior to filtering or return valve. This means when I am in SPA mode (SPA suction + SPA return), the SPA still looses water and fairly quickly (empty in like 30m), which I believe is because even when booster is off, it sends natural flow of water to the pool. There is a manual valve there. Should that be set to off for booster when in SPA mode? If so, it seems that should be automated. And is that normal, that the booster when off, water still flows through it?

Tomorrow I will check the Smart Controller actuator setup as discussed above. Can't wait to figure this all out.

Shawn,

The whole idea of running the spillover a couple of times a day, is just to keep the water in the spa well chlorinated. I would run it 2 times a day for 30 minutes and then test to make sure the FC in the spa stays above the minimum... as long as it does, you are good.. If the FC drops below the minimum, you can add more minutes or more cycles, whatever works for you.

The only benefit of using the automation to run the spillover is that it will prevent your spa from overflowing all the time.

It is not a major deal breaker, one way or the other.

I agree with Jason... go Robot or go back to 1970... :poke: I love my robot, but not everyone does, so do some research before deciding...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
30BBAC32-FC0A-4D61-BCCE-FA8C75C7EBD7.jpgHere is a quick pic. As you can see the booster is attached to a three way directly after main pump and prior to filter. Since that valve is not automated it’s always on. So when booster is off water still runs through it and of course out into pool. Even when in spa mode.

Ok, the original cleaner was a pressure side cleaner, like a Jandy Ray Vac.

When it went bad, they switched to a booster pump model and installed it incorrectly.

The filter in the canister is called an "Energy Filter". It looks like it needs to be cleaned or replaced or just remove it and plumb the suction to pull after the main filter.

The booster pump should be replumbed to feed from the pool return after the 3-way valve.

The system should have the interlock set so that the booster can't run without the main pump on and returning to the pool.

So in effect, my Smart Controller is setting pool and spillover mode identically.
But I cannot figure out to re-train the Smart Controller valves 1 & 2. Is that even possible?

All the actuators I've seen have a small 3-position toggle switch that sets normal action, off, and reverse action. Perhaps one of your switches is set incorrectly.

So today was a busy day.
First time I cleaned the cartridge filter, it was a mess. I also cleaned that Energy Filter. Thanks for heads up.
I even replaced the check valve for the SPA, since its is raised and was wondering why water lowered when off.

So after opening Smart Controller, the problem was easily solved. In fact, the actuators were rigged opposite. After switching them, I now have full Pool mode, full SPA mode, and a Spill over option.
I also turned the booster jet valve off, which solved the SPA leakage issue as well.

Of course now, I will need to remember to open that valve every time I use the pool vacuum, but that seems easy enough. And yes, I checked the interlock which is also set for that pool vac.

I need to investigate a robot, because I am not overly impressed with the job the Polaris is doing, and hate the incorrect plumbing.
I will search forum for robot vs. vac and see whats up. I still seem to have noticeable amounts of sand and sediment at the bottom of the pool that nothing seems to suck up.

Thanks for all the help and support - it was so timely being a new pool owner. TFP rocks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.