Golden Retriever Is Here

Potty training (good luck) take him out when:
-he wakes up
-after he eats
-when he rolls over
-after he has been inside for more than 30 mins
-every time you look at him
-ALL OF THE TIME!!

WHEN he has an accident put yourself in the corner for not paying attention to him and seeing his signs.

When he does go potty outside have a potty party with all kinds of happy voice and petting and playing. Fine THE word you will say when you want him to potty. I used "go potty". When he went potty I would say GOOD GO POTTY!!! GOOD BOY!!! GOOD GO POTTY!

Crate training=the best thing ever!!! For the beginning do not put anything soft or chew upable in there with him. He WILL chew it and it could cause problems. Yes he might whine a bit but do NOT give in and take him out. He has to be quiet for a few mins before you open the door.

Pool=toes trimmed and smooth=drimel tool with a sandpaper barrel. This will take some time and after he is a bit older. You HAVE To have some kind of fence around the pool or a way to keep him OUT of the pool area for a while. Better safe than sorry. I will work with you on how to train him to this.

Mind exercise is the best thing to wear him out and learn at the same time. 15 mins of training=1 hour of running!!! Puppy push ups is what I call it. Sit, down, come, go to your place, over and over and over again. Mix it up so he cannot guess what you are going to say next.

Don't leave ANYTHING laying around for a good,long while!!! If he chews something it is YOUR fault for it being in his reach!!!

I can't wait to see him!

Very good advice. And you MUST let that dog swim. We built our pool FOR the Goldens! Swimming is some of the best exercise you can give them. Don't worry about the liner trim the nails.

And also a crate is Not an off / on switch for their potty needs when they are that young. See potty training above. Eventually they will get it and go to the door when it's time.

Very good advice. And you MUST let that dog swim. We built our pool FOR the Goldens! Swimming is some of the best exercise you can give them. Don't worry about the liner trim the nails.

And also a crate is Not an off / on switch for their potty needs when they are that young. See potty training above. Eventually they will get it and go to the door when it's time.
I would love to let him swim... yeah maybe trimming his nails will be best too. I just don’t know how he’ll get out of the pool. If you see the pic earlier, I have ladders for my pool. I guess I’ll have to pick him out of the pool every time. Mmmmm

yeah! I’m looking into crate training now....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I love this flow chart. Thank you.

what about bed time? How long after they sleep, do I wake him up to potty. When will his last meal be before bedtime, so that he doesn’t have to use the bathroom all night. Or do I have to continue waking up very often for him to potty outside?

Last edited:
You should feed 2 times a day. The last meal should around 6:00 pm. This allows time for the food to be processed and poop to happen before bed. As for water I would limit large amounts of water after 8:00 pm. In the beginning he might need to go out 1 or 2 times during the night. Each puppy is different just like kids so you will learn what works best for you pup.

To me the worst part is the first thing in the morning..........you HAVE to take him out before you do anything else. That means no coffee, food, etc for YOU until he has been out to potty.

Our Golden Retriever, Cheyenne, is going to be 1 year old this month. I was taking her to classes until COVID hit. Now I use YouTube and practice, practice, practice. She is the best ever! The only problem I have currently with her is that she just loves everyone TOO much (i.e., she has to jump up on them to let them know how much she loves them). Since the covid crisis, we have not been able to associate her with lots of people to break her of this habit. But that will come. Our goal is for her to become a therapy dog so that I can take her to all the different retirement and children homes in my area. Goldens thrive on love.

We have an AGP that she loves. Anytime I get in my bathing suit, she goes crazy knowing she is going swimming.

Along with the above advice, let me throw in my two cents worth. Here are lessons learned.
  • Crate training is a must. We did NOT do it because we had the idea that crates were cruel. Well that is great unless you go on a trip to visit a friend and stay in a hotel or their house. You have to have a place to put her when you are not around. If we would of crate trained, we would not have had that issue. BTW... we have recently bought a crate and am beginning to crate train.
  • Choose wisely before you decide to let your Golden sleep with you. That cute 8 lb puppy turns into a 65 lb bed hog pretty quickly. Yes, ours sleeps with us. Sometimes we regret making that choice, but mostly we love her warmth beside us.
  • Puppy teeth are little needles that will eventually go away. Until then be ready to have little marks on your arms. Puppies explore everything, including you, with their mouth (and teeth). You will be joining the scratched arm club soon.
  • If possible, skip the puppy pads. These are just a nice thing to shred for Goldens and slows down the potty training. Goldens are very, VERY smart. They train very quickly. No need to add an extra step.
  • Once they get a few months old, have them wear a "house line" while inside. A "house line" is basically a leash with the hand loop cut off. Your Golden will love to test the waters and see what they can get away with and chew. Much easier to keep them under control if you have a line to grab to bring them out from behind that piece of furniture with your favorite shoe in their mouth.
  • Buy a treat bag. Goldens respond to positive reinforcement very well. Food/treats is a great reinforcement. I have a treat bag that has a carry handle that goes over my shoulder. When my Golden sees it, she knows it is time to train. She perks right up and is ready for work. Mine also has a spot for potty bags. Which brings us to the last lessons learned.
  • Invest in Doggie Potty bags and carry them with you. Every time we take our Golden outside to potty, we take a bag with us. Every time we go for a walk, we take a bag with us. You are getting a large dog that marks large spots. If you get in the habit of taking a bag with you everywhere, you, your family, your neighbors, and your children will always appreciate you. Our backyard is an acre in size and has absolutely no signs of puppy anywhere. The extra bonus is that you will know your pups droppings and quickly be able to tell if there is a problem that needs to be addressed.
  • Most of all you have to give the Golden lots of affection. They always smile, so always love them for that.
Here is a picture of mine with her favorite toys in the pool.
Cheyenne in pool.jpg

My daughter's Whoodle has learned to love swimming in my pool. The biggest problem I have now is that the dog also wants to come into the house, bringing a lot of water with her.

Reactions: Mendy48
Forgot to mention... one of the best things we did was to not give the puppy scraps from the table or our plates. Cheyenne has never begged for food and when we sit down to eat, she happily goes and lays down in her bed and waits for us to finish. Even when we take her on picnics, we can sit on a blanket with her and eat sandwiches and she never bothers us while we are eating. Now pick up a tennis ball and you have one hyper girl!

Here is a picture of mine with her favorite toys in the pool.
View attachment 152673
Soooooooooooooooo adorable... relaxing in that pool. Thanks for the detailed information about GR. Much appreciated.
I’m definitely going to do the crate training, and he won’t be sleeping with me. Though I’ll want him to LOL.
What kind of treats do GR like! I can probably google that. I’ll also invest in doggie potty bags for sure. I just can’t wait to see him.

What kind of treats do GR like! I can probably google that.

We only give ours "PureBites", "Vital Essentials", or I dehydrate chicken jerky for her. Our Golden Retriever has a very sensitive stomach. Though she will eat anything, her stomach does not like everything. During training when they are very young (2-6 months), you can use some of their kibble as treats. Once they get above 6 months, they want a more "high value" treat, since they are not starving to death any more. :)

Which brings up the subject of feeding. We fed ours 3 times a day up until she was over 6 months old. They eat extremely fast when they are young and eating too much, too quickly can mess up their digestion or even cause stomach bloat. Eating smaller portions and eating it slower helps prevent this. Portions were smaller due to feeding her 3 times a day, and we slowed down her eating by purchasing a puzzle bowl and used KONGS to slow down her eating.

I think I must have the dog with the most self control ever- her food bowl sits full all day and night and she eats at will. It usually ends up to be morning and late afternoon, but otherwise it just sits there un touched. <shrug> I have no clue how this developed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.