Porter ranch CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I've had my pool for 3 i’ve had my pool for three years now and I’ve been using chlorine due to the fact that my construction was not done and we never utilize the pool until we finally finish this summer and with my phone I also had purchased a Jandy 1400 S. sale for my 40000 gallon pool and I have to tell you this was the worst investment I’ve ever made not just the fact that it’s just more headache maintaining the salt and the levels and the si acid and making sure all the pH is always low but also the fact that it damages the walls are damaged equipment you run thr dam thing for 10 hrs and you nearly get 1 to 2 ppm with no free chlorine leveler and waste of power pump operation it messes up your coping your deck with all the white stains the scaling and all the damage and all the extra headaches for no reason. It won't even produce enough salt specially on a hot summer time in California where you have to boost by adding a gallon of extra chlorine I mean it’s just such a headache to have and you don’t really get any benefit out of the system I just wanted to get your thoughts to see if I’m wrong Or right. When through All this hassle. I run my pump at 1700 rpm 6 hr a day five days a week, and on weekends off; it was crystal clear. I never had issues. This salt is just a headache, and I've done everything correctly and maintained it all, and it's just a horrible investment, I think, as a professional and perfectionist. Its more.cons then pros

I'm sorry to read your note. The first thing that struck me was that your SWG was undersized for your large pool. You've been on TFP long enough to know we always recommend over sizing the cell at least 2x so you get all the chlorine you need without having to run the pump 24/7.

I've never seen walls damaged by salt- could you please take a pic so we can see what you're dealing with?

We also need to see a full set of test results from your own reliable test kit (TF-100 or K-2006) to know how balanced your pool truly is?
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt level

Just a reminder- all chlorine pools build up a salt level even without the addition of salt for a SWG. After about 2 years a pool can have half the amount needed just from using regular pool chlorine which breaks down and leaves salt behind. With a salt pool it only requires about 3500ppm. Your tears are approximately 7,000ppm.

Lets see if we can figure out this frustration with you-

Madddie :flower:

A Jandy 1400 SWG, according to the manufacturer, is good for pools up to 40,000 gallons.
Be aware that the 40,000 gallon manufacturer rating is based on running the SWG 24 hours per day (everyday) at 100%. If running the SWG and pump less than that, there is no way to maintain FC in accordance with the FC/CYA Levels - especially during summer in southern California.

TFP recommends a SWG rated for at least twice your pool volume. For your pool, that would be two Jandy 1400 SWGs or a commercial unit rated for 80,000 gallons or more.

Hard to determine what exact chemical levels you were maintaining as you aren't sharing your PoolMath logs and didn't include them in your post. But, there are thousands of satisfied SWG users here at TFP that have no issues with the SWGs when following TFP methodology.

I don't have staining or rust on the walls! I'm just saying what's the benefit of salt when it causes more drama than actual good. i run the system 10 hrs a day ad i have a 1400 janty cell which should be plenty for 38500 to be exact gallon pool.
1. copping stains it turns copping white and you have to always pressure wash it or seal it
2. high ph which is not good to always add acid to make sure it's low even with borax at 50 ppm
3. scale on the tiles and glass tiles
4. running the system too long which is high electricity and wearing your pump
5. long-run damage to equipment and metals even with a sacrificial annoyed which i do have

with chlorine
1 I run my pump 6 hrs a day 5 days a week and st and sun off
2 no scaling on my glass tiles
3 clean deck copping no salt stains
4 clear pool more clear than a saltwater pool
5 doesn't look ugly when generating salt special at 1700 rpm which you can see all the bubbles and blurry bubbles in the return unless you run it at 2400 min to avoid that
6. my ph always at 7.4 nd chemistry is balanced as well as I use my weekly orenda product which is amazing

so how is salt way better ad more effective and saving me money its a big headache in my opinion

I'm still playing around with it but I don't like it honestly. I don't know if Pentair is better or not. most of the pro I talk to are all for the traditional from a common professional standpoint. logical sense standpoint

my. chemistry is ll balanced and I was just testing the mineral addition to it the true guard I have removed it for now

CircuPool® RJ-60 PLUS Salt Chlorine Generator is a good setup i think​

You do know that all pools are salt water pools.. putting in Muriatic acid and chlorine is adding salt water every single day... Most pools have a salt ppm around 1500 or more...

To use your SWG you will need to raise your CYA to 80 and run your pump 24/7 at an rpm high enough to create chlorine...

You still have not posted your numbers but have said they are perfect.. I would love to see these perfect numbers because if they are perfect you would have no issue keeping FC and a perfect pool with a SWG...

With a RJ 60 plus you would still have to run your pump about 15 hours a day, much better than 24 hours now.. Do you have a VS pump, if so running 24/7 is nothing for them and will actually save money doing it running at 1200 rpm.. :)

I don't have staining or rust on the walls! I'm just saying what's the benefit of salt when it causes more drama than actual good. i run the system 10 hrs a day ad i have a 1400 janty cell which should be plenty for 38500 to be exact gallon pool.
1. copping stains it turns copping white and you have to always pressure wash it or seal it
2. high ph which is not good to always add acid to make sure it's low even with borax at 50 ppm
5. long-run damage to equipment and metals even with a sacrificial annoyed which i do have

with chlorine
5 doesn't look ugly when generating salt special at 1700 rpm which you can see all the bubbles and blurry bubbles in the return unless you run it at 2400 min to avoid that
6. my ph always at 7.4 nd chemistry is balanced as well as I use my weekly orenda product which is amazing

so how is salt way better ad more effective and saving me money its a big headache in my opinion

I'm still playing around with it but I don't like it honestly. I don't know if Pentair is better or not. most of the pro I talk to are all for the traditional from a common professional standpoint. logical sense standpoint

my. chemistry is ll balanced and I was just testing the mineral addition to it the true guard I have removed it for now

I have had my SWG for 2 years and have no scaling and the water is so much smoother.

with chlorine

For a 38,500 gallon pool, if you ran your SWG at 100% for 10 hours, you would only generate FC of 1.6, which is not enough.

Can you fill out your signature with your pool equipment, etc.? That helps others help you.

Post results from a TF-100 or K-2006C when able.

Reactions: TexasEd
S281,

My pull it out of my rear guess is that 95% of the people that switched from a standard chlorine pool, to a SWCG pool, love it and never switch back... You are just one of the 5%..

Unfortunately, it is posts like yours that cause the untrue myths about the evils of saltwater pools to continue.. It is not your fault, but neither your pool builder nor yourself have a clue how a saltwater a pool works, nor how it needs to be maintained. All your problems center around the fact that your cell is half the size it needs to be and that you were never trained in the proper way to care for a saltwater pool.

I am sure the same thing would happen to me if I were given an aquarium with expensive tropical fish.. Since I have no clue how to take care of an aquarium, I'm sure the fish would soon die.. This does not mean the aquarium or the fish were faulty... :mrgreen:

I am glad you found a way to maintain your pool that works better for you..

Good luck,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Or maybe get rid of my iaqualink panel and swg and install Pentair IntelCenter and ic60, which should be more stable for a pool size like mines and produce more. I know how saltwater pools work and how to maintain and care for them. The only big issues I see here are undersized pc Crud jandy cell, and the actual pros and cons of salt and your equipment in the long run. My chemistry is well maintained and has the proper addition to help the cell life and so forth, just an undersized cell. Either I add another brand of salt cell and give it a shot or get rid of Jandy complete iaqualink and cell and install a Pentair. In the meantime, with very little chlorine and my orenda ans no strain on the pumps of running them 10 to 12 hrs, my pool is crystal clear. I like to think about things that your average joe doesn't, so I see many common-sense results and actual pros and cons in real-time. I'm a technology director, so I play with technology daily. A says no one knows your body better than you, even a certified doctor, and is gone give you medication that will do more harm than good.
Now you make the best judgment

Last edited:
Or maybe get rid of my iaqualink panel and swg and install Pentair IntelCenter and ic60, which should be more stable for a pool size like mines and produce more. I know how saltwater pools work and how to maintain and care for them. The only big issues I see here are undersized pc Crud jandy cell, and the actual pros and cons of salt and your equipment in the long run. My chemistry is well maintained and has the proper addition to help the cell life and so forth, just an undersized cell. Either I add another brand of salt cell and give it a shot or get rid of Jandy complete iaqualink and cell and install a Pentair. In the meantime, with very little chlorine and my orenda ans no strain on the pumps of running them 10 to 12 hrs, my pool is crystal clear. I like to think about things that your average joe doesn't, so I see many common-sense results and actual pros and cons in real-time. I'm a technology director, so I play with technology daily. A says no one knows your body better than you, even a certified doctor, and is gone give you medication that will do more harm than good.
I agree 100% regarding doctors, see you for 5 minutes and says try this. Next

I totally get the frustration. We have all been there and made purchases without reading the fine print. But don't blame the equipment for doing what it is designed to do. Your a technology director, I'm sure you deal with it everyday in your field. Computers, equipment, machines, only do what they are programmed and built to do, nothing more, nothing less. I also work in IT and its amazing what people think computers should magically do... Your Jandy 1400 salt cell has a max capacity of 40,000 gallons when ran 24/7 at 100% salt generation. That's it, nothing more, nothing less. So for it to work in your pool, you will need to run it that way. Whoever sold you this product should have told you this upfront. That same cell works great in my 26,000 gallon pool. I have a VS pump so it runs 24/7 already and during the peak of summer I run my cell at 65%. If you do switch to Pentair, make sure you do the math upfront to see how long you will need to run your pump and salt cell.

As far as the scale and staining of your coping, your water is either balanced or not balanced. A salt system doesn't magically add scale and staining to your pool. It adds salt. Salt doesn't magically throw off the balance of your water. The experts here would be happy to help you with your water balance if you would post your test results and give them the names of any chemicals that you have been adding to the pool this season.

what is the weekly Orenda product your are using? I have been reading TFP for a year or so now and haven't seen anyone else use a weekly Orenda product, salt water or non salt water pools.

Ok so this so the action plan ! I got a circumpolar ozone generator xl , typhoon pre filter which I heard is amazing and ph co2 system. All will be delivered soon ! I will hook it up tweak it platt with it and see how it does with the crappy 1400 cell and keep you posted if not I’ll switch to rj60 and give salt one more try 🤙

I totally get the frustration. We have all been there and made purchases without reading the fine print. But don't blame the equipment for doing what it is designed to do. Your a technology director, I'm sure you deal with it everyday in your field. Computers, equipment, machines, only do what they are programmed and built to do, nothing more, nothing less. I also work in IT and its amazing what people think computers should magically do... Your Jandy 1400 salt cell has a max capacity of 40,000 gallons when ran 24/7 at 100% salt generation. That's it, nothing more, nothing less. So for it to work in your pool, you will need to run it that way. Whoever sold you this product should have told you this upfront. That same cell works great in my 26,000 gallon pool. I have a VS pump so it runs 24/7 already and during the peak of summer I run my cell at 65%. If you do switch to Pentair, make sure you do the math upfront to see how long you will need to run your pump and salt cell.

As far as the scale and staining of your coping, your water is either balanced or not balanced. A salt system doesn't magically add scale and staining to your pool. It adds salt. Salt doesn't magically throw off the balance of your water. The experts here would be happy to help you with your water balance if you would post your test results and give them the names of any chemicals that you have been adding to the pool this season.

what is the weekly Orenda product your are using? I have been reading TFP for a year or so now and haven't seen anyone else use a weekly Orenda product, salt water or non salt water pools.
Thanks buddy

I like to try out things myself to try them out, so I have confirmation that it is just a gimmick! I'm the same with technology and electronics I love to buy them and evaluate them myself

I like to try out things myself to try them out, so I have confirmation that it is just a gimmick! I'm the same with technology and electronics I love to buy them and evaluate them myself
That’s fine and dandy and good on you !! But do a simple search and you’ll find a decade and a half of posts from those that blazed that trail a mile wide. And failed. You don’t know me so I don’t fault you taking my word with a grain of salt. Search for yourself and see the real world people who tried and how it went for them specifically.

Your Jandy system with half the capacity never had a possibility to work. Add minerals and it's even worse if that's what you had. I know a lot of people that just like to trial and error. If that floats your boat go for it. If you want a more scientific calculated approach just follow TFP methodology for your next system. It'll work fine and you can find something else to tinker with.

Good luck.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.