Going away with a troubled pool - tips?

allendehl

Jan 29, 2020
Miramar, FL
Hi there folks,

I just posted a separate thread about how I am struggling with my pool and algae. I wanted to keep this other question separate to avoid hijacking my own thread.

I am going away for a week next saturday and I am having algae issues with my pool. Undergoing SLAM now but not sure it will be all done by then. What tip can you give me to avoid finding a green pond at my return?

Thanks in advance,

So you're about done with the SLAM process? Are you sure?? Remember you have to pass all 3 criteria to call it quits.

There is a risk you'll take two steps forward and one back when you go out of town. If it were me I'd make sure to leave with the pool at SLAM level and cover it until you return. Then pick up where you left off.

Or get a friend, neighbor to add x amount of liquid chlorine to the pool daily with the pump left running.

Once you leave, do NOT fret about it. Worse case is you start a SLAM again... but I'd rather you just enjoy your time away without a care! :)

Maddie :flower:

How are you currently adding chlorine? If it’s liquid chlorine, can you have someone drop by every day or two to add more? You could bring the pool up to SLAM level to give yourself more breathing room. If your CYA isn’t high, you could also use tablets.

The easiest solution is a SWCG if you have one. When you have a chance, fill out your signature with your pool info, including equipment. It makes it much easier to give advice. Otherwise people have to ask you a lot more questions before they can help.

Thank yo very much all. Signature is updated.

My CYA is at 30 and I am keeping it low during SLAM to help me with chlorine levels. I do have tablets I can dump in but I read TFP do not recommend them, not sure why. It may be a good temp solution though. I can leave the pool at SLAM levels but as CYA is sort of low, it wont be long before chlorine is all gone.

TFP does not recommend tablets because other things can be in them and get added (copper, stabilizer, calcium) that you may not want or need.

Plain chlorine pucks can be a good addition for the short term (vacation) AS LONG AS you know what is in them.

I have a SWG and i generally do not worry when I'm away from the pool for a week or more.

Reactions: allendehl
Al,

Can you provide more information to go on? How long have you been SLAMing and how consistently have you managed the FC level? Most extended SLAMS result from insufficiently maintained FC level and/or lack of attention on the details such as scrubbing, filter maintenance, 24/7 pump etc. or stopping SLAM before you meet all 3 criteria. What does your pool look like, how much chlorine are you adding per day, and can you please post a photo? The better information you provide the better advice you will get from experts. Here's the best I can offer:
  • Best approach would be to finish your SLAM before you leave. Be very diligent with every aspect of your SLAM starting now if you are not already doing so.
  • Check FC every 4 hours and make sure you are Maintaining the required SLAM level. This may require frequent addition of liquid chlorine for a day or two before it starts to stabilize. Don't take this too far. Testing more than every 4 hrs just wastes a lot of reagent with no improved result.
If you are not completed with the SLAM and not prepared to continue the SLAM you must maintain high levels of FC while you are gone. If you try to guess the amount required and your SLAM completes while you are gone you could unintentionally go to high on your FC level and that can cause damage. Guessing is just not workable for TFP methods or any pool maintenance method for that matter. If your pool does not have visible algae you may be able to add some Polyquat 60 which will not kill algae but will inhibit new growth. Then you will need to resume the SLAM when you get back. Maybe one of our more experienced members and experts can advise if this is workable or offer a better solution. @mknauss @ajw22 .

I hope this helps.

Chris

With a CYA of 30, and a pool volume of 15000 gallons (your signature shows a wide range for pool volume), you can put four pucks in a floating dispenser and raise your FC to SLAM level just before leaving. You will most likely need to follow the SLAM Process when you return, but that should help keep things somewhat stable while you are gone.

Thank you again, these are all great point to think about. Let me try to answer some of the questions:

- About consistency of the process: The first two times I believe I was pretty consistent. Brushed pool and cleaned filter almost daily while maintaining above SLAM levels and testing about 4 times during daytime. Water looked very clean and transparent. I could see a coins face from above on its deepest part. This time, not so consistent though. It's been raining therefore messing my timings for testing and of course adding water to the pool. Water is still very clean, that actually hasn't been an issue, while algae grows on the side of the pool the water has never gone cloudy. I know this is not my best SLAM, but the fact that I've had to to it three times in a short time span concerns me. I did extend the process about two or three days after all conditions were met.
- About the size of the pool: I bout the house with the pool already in. I have no info whatsoever and the pool has a very uneven shape and depth. I've broken it down in sections and tried to do my best at coming up with the most accurate volume. I am calculating additives based on 15K gallons and it seems to be adding up pretty close but I can't be 100% sure. Therefore the range value.
- As of when I measure: I measure before I add chlorine. At night I measure about 2hrs after I dose for the overnight test.

Al,

Thanks for the follow up information and signature update. I would follow Marty's advice. He's got tons of experience helping mostly new members go from "green to sparkling clean!". Hopefully you're done with the SLAM before you leave but if not I used floaters very successfully before my conversion to swg by running low in the TFP recommended range for CYA and using pucks for business travel. It certainly worked well for me back then.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.