Globrite failed again

May 14, 2017
FRANKFORT, il
Anyone know a good replacement for the globrite lights from Pentair? I'm on my second set of lights in six years (replaced both in 2019) and now need to replace them again. Four years is terrible for these lights.. Any options that use the globrite gunite niche and will last longer?

Yup.... Globrite stink. When people ask us during construction days we *always* tell them to stay far away from them.
Did your lights come under warranty still when they died?

Another problem with Globrites is that the "niche" fixture is propitiatory to Globrites and Globrites ONLY. No other bulb fits in there.

This quote comes from one of our TFP Wiki articles-

The 618040 MicroBrite-to-GloBrite adaptor installs onto any MicroBrite Light and allows it to be mounted into a GloBrite Niche or a ColorVision Bubble. Pentair also offers a MicroBrite-G light kit (item # 620166) which comes as a MicroBrite, color light along with the adapter but only in 150’ foot cord length.

Florida Sunseeker GloBrite Replacement

Florida Sunseeker makes a GloBrite replacement light with adapter to fit the proprietary niche.[12] Light is the Pool Tone Nicheless 1 1/2 inch Swimming Pool or Spa Light 15 - 100 Feet and the Adapter for Pentair globrite 1.5 or 1-1/2 inch lights. They include the adapter for free if you ask.

Note that the Globrite light is held in place by a twist lock while the Florida Sunseeker replacement light is held in place by friction. It will work on a flat pool wall surface quite well. The lights are about 6" in diameter so much bigger than the Globrite. And they also put out a lot more light.[13]

Use checkout code TFP7 on the Florida Sunseeker website for 7% off, free USA shipping, and no sales tax, on any items.[14]

The microbrite is sealed unit. So not likely to leak like the Globrite which has a seal that leaks just behind the lens cover. The microbrites are not as bright.
A hack on Globrites is to apply silicone sealant on that seal area before installation. I did that with my second set. They are now about 18 months old. Will see as we approach 3 years.

The Sunseeker are great but the colors of the lights will not match the listed color in the Pentair controller. The Sunseeker lights also have a larger light diameter (the LED engine still fits into a 1.5" receptacle). I believe they plan to have a light that is not as large in diameter soon, but right now it is not available.

Reactions: fredpamm
I have gone through 3 Globrites and over 9 Bubbler lights (3 in pool replaced 3 times). First Globrite was dead on arrival. Second one cracked on the side. Third one I just saw failed when I opened pool this year and I have not removed it yet. It is on my shelf, which is now completely dark at night. Debating whether to try Microbrite or another Globrite and try the silicone sealant trick mentioned above. That is what I did on my last set of bubbler lights... actually used a marine sealant on the entire perimeter where the top and bottom shell are epoxied... and also around the cable connection. They have lasted longer than any others with no leaks yet. I am going to pull them and reapply marine sealant to be extra safe. I suspect the bubbler lights leak at the cable. These have cost be $$$$$$ over the last 7 years. When these eventually fail, I will be left with proprietary niches in my shelf with nothing to put in them except dummy shells. I would never install another Pentair light again if another manufacturers product was a direct replacement!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.