Glass beads

Thanks for the help. It is so odd that it seems to be impossible to find online. I know ez patch sells glass patch repair kits but I don’t think they sell the glass separate. I’ll just have to chat with the whoever is doing the plaster work and see if he can pick me up some bags from SCP and pay him directly.

Sorry, what is your game plan? To purchase the glass yourself to get around the PB's price, and then, what, ask the plaster subcontractor to toss the glass into his mixer right before he shoots the pool? Have you discussed this with the PB, or the subcontractor, and gotten their blessing? Or are you just planning to wing it on plaster day?

I don't condone the crazy up-charges PBs use to turn their loss-leader base price into a profitable job. But that seems to be how the industry works. More to the point, if you're planning this end-run without prearranging this with the PB, you'll likely alienate him and/or possibly void your finish warranty. And that's if the sub agrees, which I doubt, because he won't jeopardize his relationship with the PB just to save you money, that's his bread and butter. And pardon me if I have this all wrong. I'm not judging, just cautioning you to be careful how you go about this, and keep your relationship and warranty intact with the PB.

Last edited:
The plan was to ask my PB if we can add glass beads to the finish on plaster day. I asked him yesterday what his thoughts were and if he is good with it, and how much he charges for bags of glass. I of course will not proceed without all parties being privy and on board.

By the way, if anyone is looking for glass beads I finally found a website, and I will be using these as a cost comparison:

Reactions: Dirk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My plaster guy said he has to take something out of the mix and replace it with the glass. For example if it calls for 4 bags of grey rock, 1 bag of blue rock, and two bags of plaster mix, he would remove 1 bag of the grey rock and replace it with one bag of glass to keep it consistent. The problem I could potentially see if it is not a product sold by the specific plaster company, then the bag of glass being used may not be the same volume as the bag it is replacing thus throwing the mix off. I asked about hand casting it into the top and he refused to do that. In the end he only charge me $100 per bag of glass and my pool used 8 bags.

Reactions: Dirk
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.