Pool Renovation in SW Florida.

lakeboater

Bronze Supporter
Mar 8, 2018
Naples, FL
I am about to contract for a significant remodel of a 2000 (year) ig pool. This will include new plaster, tile and deck. The deck is currently concrete and the coping is part of the deck. The renovation contractor will rebuild the lower drain and skimmer, replace the two light niches with plastic pentairs, install Jandy fixtures with J and J white LED bulbs. The deck will be installed by another contractor and it will be porcelain 16 x 32 tiles (2 cm thick) on top of the concrete. The deck around the pool and spa will be mortared and grouted and the rest of the deck will be set on sand with corner holders/spacers. The deck joints will contain nitro sand.

I am going with Florida Stucco plaster with added glass beads. It is a light finish. The beads seem like a cool effect, but it is not cheap. I am curious about members opinion of glass beads even realizing it is easy for you all to spend my money.

My light choice is based on hours of study on the forum where I concluded that it is safer to avoid reliance on LED fixtures, especially nicheless. I know some members are happy with their nicheless fixtures but it seems like few are convinced that the state of the technology provides a reliable product. I use my lights daily and I need a bright pool light. I don’t feel the need for RGBs. This light decision was very difficult. This path will cost me $1400 more than going nicheless.

I am a few weeks away from commencing so I am open to input. By the way, my contractor recommends Jandy nicheless. He sold 200 last year and has not had a single comeback. He is a respectful about my choice to avoid them, as he realizes that 1 year with no failures is not evidence of long term reliability.

image_50430721.JPG

Last edited:
I am going with Florida Stucco plaster with added glass beads. It is a light finish. The beads seem like a cool effect, but it is not cheap. I am curious about members opinion of glass beads even realizing it is easy for you all to spend my money.
Some use abalone shells to add some bling but also find they can create black spots (organic matter) over time if they are not pool grade shells. So using glass beads is a good alternative. Also glass beads do not lose their color over time so if you can afford it - go for it.

My light choice is based on hours of study on the forum where I concluded that it is safer to avoid reliance on LED fixtures, especially nicheless. I know some members are happy with their nicheless fixtures but it seems like few are convinced that the state of the technology provides a reliable product. I use my lights daily and I need a bright pool light. I don’t feel the need for RGBs. This light decision was very difficult. This path will cost me $1400 more than going nicheless.

I am a few weeks away from commencing so I am open to input. By the way, my contractor recommends Jandy nicheless. He sold 200 last year and has not had a single comeback. He is a respectful about my choice to avoid them, as he realizes that 1 year with no failures is not evidence of long term reliability.
It appears you have done your research and have come away with a good plan. There has been positive comments on the new Jandy lights but as your PB stated, only a year or so of use is not sufficient data to determine their longevity.
Keep us informed of the installation process and your initial views of using them if that is the way you go.
Good idea on staying away from RGB.

Reactions: lakeboater
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.