Glad to be here! I KNOW NOTHING!

Kendraspool

Apr 25, 2019
Kansas City
Hello everyone! I've read several threads and you guys are awesome! A friend told me about this website and i love it so far! I just opened my pool for the first time! I have a intex 18x9 rectangle pool 52 inch deep and it's a sand filter with salt water generater! Last year i had trouble frequently and spent hundreds at the pool stores on shock, algecide and stuff like that! It occasionally would turn green and get a film of green slime on the sides that I'd have to try and vaccum out and shock! I know nothing about this and im learning. Anyways i left it up all winter half way full. 3 days ago i raked out all the leaves, filled it up fully and poured in 2 gallon of bleach! After a hour it wasn't black (from the disintegrated leaves) so that alone helped! On day 2 i hooked up the sand filter to get things moving around and have been backwashing several times daily. Pool still cloudy but looks soooo much better! Yesterday i put a bit of borax (1 lb) , 1 more gallon of bleach and baking soda (1 lb) just for the jerk of it i guess! My current readings are Total hardness 250 , Total Chlorine 50, free chlorine 0, bromine 2, total alkalinity 120, PH 7.6. I am having a hard time understanding the pool calculator! Ugh ... Help please! My pool is about 4,800 gallons. Thank you everyone!

Attachments

• Snapchat-811689926.jpg
    Snapchat-811689926.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Snapchat-1501784873.jpg
    Snapchat-1501784873.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 7
Welcome to the forum!
What test kit did you use to get those test results? How do you have Total Chlorine of 50 and Free Chlorine of 0?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.
Im using test strips. I plan on buying a larger test kit rather then strips but haven't yet. It's reading my chlorine at those levels but not sure how because it SMELLS LIKE POOL WATER (chlorine) because of the bleach I've put in. Weird! Also i have NOT hooked up my salt water generator yet because i wanted to filter the water first. Im wondering if i should go ahead and add the salt and hook up the generator and THEN maybe it will start producing chlorine?

Order a TF-100
The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want.
I also have the Speedstir. It makes testing much easier.

Once you get your test kit post up your results and we can provide guidance based on that data. We do not provide guidance based on test strips.

You have found the pool and spa goldmine, welcome. Everything you need to learn is here along with everyone you need to help you, so start reading the links knauss posted above. You will need good test data and this requires a good test kit and learning how to use it consistantly. The Pool Math calculator works but only with good test data that you gather when needed. You are going to enjoying getting control of your pool system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.