Glacier Pool Chiller, Las Vegas... what's your experience?

an1vrsy

Bronze Supporter
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
We had it plumbed in/installed during our pool build. Not a single sub contractor after seeing the chiller felt or thought we would use it. In their opinion, pool water doesn't get that warm in their experience.

Well, we filled the pool on March 1st, when air temps were still in the upper 50's low 60's. Wasn't thinking about the pool water temperature at that point.

Fast forward to June... last Sunday, June 27th the pool water got up to 93 degrees, it was not refreshing. I felt I was just wet. I finally turned on the chiller and the water lowered to 84 degrees. Yay! With the auto-cover, we have to open the cover and turn on the chiller if we don't the cover works just like a solar cover and teh water just gets warmer and warmer in this Las Vegas heat.

Does anyone else have chiller here in Las Vegas? Or in other parts of the country, are you using your chiller?

93.jpg 87.jpg

If I had built our pool with an autocover (Which I would do now if I built a new one) I would also put a chiller on the pool. The cover will increase the temperature of the pool greatly.
That type of chiller is an evaporative chiller. So you do need to watch your CH levels if you do not use softened make up water.

I’ll have to update my signature, I do use softened make up water. Unfortunatel, manually. I now need to reach out to my plumber to retrofit an autofill.

Would you recommend a Glacier chiller in FL? I am a little concerned about having to refill the pool often and would have to refill with hard water from the hose.

Florida has high humidity, but so does Houston. Pool owners in Houston swear by their Glacier Chiller. If it fits your budget, a Glacier Chiller definitely cools down the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.