Giving TFP a Try

Update: Pool is a cloudy blue!
I keep asking myself if it’s just the morning lighting but family have all confirmed I’m not crazy (kids are very excited)! I still lost 5ppm FC overnight and CC is 1 so I know I still have work to do. Can someone give me some feedback on where I’m at in the process? Is blue a big milestone or is the fact I still have 1ppm of CC and 5ppm loss overnight an indicator of a lot of work ahead?

Thanks everyone for your help with this!

Cloudy blue is the short term step after green. Maintain the SLAM level FC as often as possible. Monitor your filter pressure.

Sand filters are the slowest to clear a pool during a SLAM. So prepare to have some patience.

Hi everyone. I am in the middle of my SLAM. I started Thursday night. After 24 hours of seeing little change, I was excited Saturday morning to see that the water had gone from green to a very cloudy blue. This morning my test results seem to show my CC is down from 1.5 to maybe .5. I still have a hard time determining when I have hit “clear” as my powder in TF-100 kit was dark and clumpy when received (they are sending new -Thanks again!!).

My concern is that I am still losing abou 1Fc/hr overnight. That seems like a lot. Is this normal? Is there some sort of point where this quickly turns or does this mean I will be SLAMing for quite a while longer? Feeding this beast Chlorine is going to start to get expensive...

Any insight as to where I am at in the process would be great!

I see no need to be surprised. Seeing that your pool is still cloudy shows you still have some organics being broken down by the chlorine. These organics are consuming the chlorine overnight thus the reason your chlorine level is dropping. There's no need to even worry about the OCLT until both your CC level is .5 AND you have clear water. Right now, you're still kinda in the middle of the process.

I see no need to be surprised. Seeing that your pool is still cloudy shows you still have some organics being broken down by the chlorine. These organics are consuming the chlorine overnight thus the reason your chlorine level is dropping. There's no need to even worry about the OCLT until both your CC level is .5 AND you have clear water. Right now, you're still kinda in the middle of the process.

Ok great. It looks like things are moving forward. I’m just trying to gauge if that sort of consumption means I’m in for a long project or if this is pretty typical.

Update: I’m almost at 40 gallons of bleach (6%) over 4 days. Lost about .75ppm FC an hour overnight. I’ve read other posts that seem to imply consumption should slow down after a day or two... just want to make sure there is not another course of action I should take (continue slam but partial drain?) or anything else I should be investigating. If I’m just the nervous first timer, I will stay the course.

Has anyone consumed similar amounts during a SLAM?

Update: I’m almost at 40 gallons of bleach (6%) in over 4 days. Lost about .75ppm FC an hour overnight. I’ve read other posts that seem to imply consumption should slow down after a day or two... just want to make sure there is not another course of action I should take (continue slam but partial drain?) or anything else I should be investigating. If I’m just the nervous first timer, I will stay the course if this is normal.

How does the water look? Is the bleach giving you the FC rise you expect?

You are not storing your test results in Poolmath so cannot see any trends.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you are in the blue and cloudy stage, then you are in the POP time -- Pool Owner Patience. Sand filters can seem to take forever to clear a pool.

Your FC loss should be subsiding. Be sure you have checked light niches, stairs, ladders, weir doors, etc for algae.

Ok thanks for the insight. I can wait on the clear water, but like you mention, I was concerned there may be something that is keeping it from clearing. I am brushing daily but I can’t see the bottom of the pool. Could it be that I am not brushing it all up? Will the chlorine be less effective if that is the case?

Ever since purchasing the home, I have struggled to keep FC levels in the pool. Water was clear but an hour or two after shocking, there was no FC. The PH was always low as well which I believe is why the water stayed clear. Once I got ph up, it started turning green. This is about the time I found TFP, and started adding the 5ppm of chlorine a day while waiting for my TF-100. I would guess the 5ppm was only lasting about an hour.

I say all of that in case there are any other clues in that context. There was no algae growth originally, but still a high chlorine demand.

Thanks again

Last edited:
My CC still appears to be dropping. Definitely .5 or less (one drop does it). Still losing 1.4ppm/hr throughout day.

Question regarding this test: sometime when testing FC, I am not 100% certain it is as clear as it can go. It is very near clear, but dark powder gives it a VERY slight purple tint. When unsure I usually add one more drop to see if it changes. Will that impact the CC test? If so, which direction?

Thanks,

My CC still appears to be dropping. Definitely .5 or less (one drop does it). Still losing 1.4ppm/hr throughout day.

Question regarding this test: sometime when testing FC, I am not 100% certain it is as clear as it can go. It is very near clear, but dark powder gives it a VERY slight purple tint. When unsure I usually add one more drop to see if it changes. Will that impact the CC test? If so, which direction?

Thanks,
No impact on the CC test. Once the CC remains at or below the .5 that means the FC will start to hold more and more till you're ready for the OLCT.

I had the same issue with not being able to see the bottom of the pool for a while; my pool is 10 ft. I changed out the sand in my sand filter and it cleared up in four days. Now mind you I wasn't following the SLAM process at the time because I was just adding Leslie's Power Powder Plus and keeping it above 5ppm for a week. I didn't have the TF-100 and was using the Poolmaster 22260. Water samples brought to Leslie's got me my CYA. Anyhow, I'm done with Leslie's now.

Changing out the sand was a bear just because my filter is under my deck and sits two inches from the brick wall. Some serious sweat equity was put in that day. Not sure why I waited to do it late July.

I had the same issue with not being able to see the bottom of the pool for a while; my pool is 10 ft. I changed out the sand in my sand filter and it cleared up in four days. .
It is odd to me that my filter doesn’t seem to be collecting more, but it is brand new this summer. Has glass bead media. I haven’t researched filters much yet, but was told that’s an upgrade?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.