Giving TFP a Try

That is weird.

The OTO showed you "maybe .5ppm FC". If FC is above 5ppm, that test is very yellow, and if it was equal to 30 drops R-0871 it would actually be more orange than yellow.

If you use your CYA of maybe 20, then add enough chlorine to get to 5ppm FC (which it appears you need according to the OTO) and then redo the FAS/DPD powder test. I can't imagine why it would behave that way, but this should get you better results. If it still doesn't work, let us know.

Do your test about half hour after you add the chlorine (with pump running). Sounds like your green pool is eating it up pretty fast and that 5ppm you're adding every day is disappearing entirely. SLAM level for 20ppm CYA is 10ppm FC. I didn't realize you had a green pool, so after you figure out if your test is going to work (really, no reason why it shouldn't), you can begin to add chlorine to SLAM level and then test and re-add it to maintain SLAM level FC at least 3x a day, if not more often.

Pump/filter should run 24/7 during SLAM.

EDIT: Get muriatic acid to lower your pH to 7.2 before you begin the SLAM. Don't worry about TA for now.

About the FAS DPD skewed result, could his powder be bad? I had some that I believe got moisture in it, it became hard and had a blue/purple tint to the powder. I'd read too that it should be okay to use, but it wasn't. I got the same strange test results. I bought new powder and haven't had any more issues.

While it's possible the powder is bad, I've never had a problem with it and the TFP powder is guaranteed to be fresh. If it IS the powder or R-0871 for some reason, TFTestkits will remedy it.

I'm using 5yo lavender colored powder this year since it works exactly the same as my brand new TFP powder. Figured I may as well use it up first.

While it's possible the powder is bad, I've never had a problem with it and the TFP powder is guaranteed to be fresh. If it IS the powder or R-0871 for some reason, TFTestkits will remedy it.

I'm using 5yo lavender colored powder this year since it works exactly the same as my brand new TFP powder. Figured I may as well use it up first.
Tftestkits IS great about resolving any issues, my powder didnt come that way, it happened over time. I'm sure it was my mistake, probably didnt seal it completely.

About the FAS DPD skewed result, could his powder be bad? I had some that I believe got moisture in it, it became hard and had a blue/purple tint to the powder. I'd read too that it should be okay to use, but it wasn't. I got the same strange test results. I bought new powder and haven't had any more issues.

I think that's what's going on. I have some powder like that as well. It actually still works, but not like it should: it goes pink with CL, but never goes completely clear. The light on the SpeedStir makes a big difference.

Fortunately, I took some TFP advice the last time I ordered a refill. I put half of the new supply into the old container and kept the new container tightly sealed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everyone. I’ll try the powder again, but mine sound exactly like Kellyp’s. It is hard and blue/purple in color. The. Very light pink/purple when mixed with the water. Never changes after adding drops. I’m assuming I need to get this corrected before SLAMing? I hate to wait though, the pool is looking worse by the day. Can I really not trust a pool store reading? Other options?

Can I really not trust a pool store reading? Other options?

I never had a warm and fuzzy feeling from the pool store readings. I feel like they're there to push product and do so by trying to get your pool to an optimal balance which would be great if your pool was already at that stage. Your pool is not in homeostasis so the numbers will never be right. They also don't clean out their test equipment very much so you're getting the last client's water in your sample too.

0871. I did the test twice. Once the powder is added it turns a very light pink/purple. Not dark at all, but I can’t get that light shade to go clear.
Hey! Just sent you a PM. One thing is that you should not let the solution sit or it will revert back to pink. Keep the test flowing. Put a scoop of powder in (scoop side -not spatula side) pool water, swirl and look for the pink (you can always test powder in VERY diluted bleach), then slowly add drops of 871, wait for it to turn clear, multiply by 0.5, then add the 5 drops of R-0003. I'm concerned you have very little CL in your pool if both tests are barely registering.

Thanks OTPirate. I don’t think I have any chlorine in the water at all. I add 1 gallon each night which should be five ppm for a 20,000 gallon cool pool. I think the demand is much higher than that. My question is how do I test for combined chlorine? Should I eat mediately add the R – 0003 until it turns pink?

Just attempted the test again. Powder is purple in the jar. When I add it to my water it becomes about the same shade of purple. It does not appear to be changing the water’s color as much as just mixing a purple powder into the water. I added 10 drops with no change.

Next, I took an empty liquid chlorine bottle and filled it with about 1 cup of pool water. I slushed it around, poured out 10ml and added powder. Weird thing is now it is completely clear. What is

Cya appears to be 20-25. Is this too low to slam? I hate to add as I just did several drains to get it down from 180, but looks like I went to far.

pH is 8.2 up even more from yesterday (7.8) is this just due to algae growth? Filter is clogged with leaves every time I get home. Lots of wind and leaves right now.

Test strips show no FC and no TC. Planning to bring ph down with muratic acid and then SLAM. Any other ideas?

Uncle,
Jar? Can you send a photo? All the kits I've seen have it in a small plastic tube with a plastic snap on cap that also has a slot that holds the blue plastic spoon. Where did you get the TF-100? Even when mine got old it never turned purple.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.