Ghost in the Machine - Intelliflo VSP Changing Speeds on Its Own

GMusic

May 29, 2018
Dallas, TX
Based on the amount of water movement on the pool surface and the loudness of the pump, it appears that my Intelliflo is changing speeds on its own. I have even heard it change while I was standing there as the loudness increased and the amount of water rippling on top doubled. The pump speed / RPM is set by the EasyTouch control system and stays constant at 1600.

Any thoughts on what is going on?

Last edited:
Jim,

Unfortunately, I do not have it set up for ScreenLogic yet. I have the SL module, but I just need to get it wired up and the app installed. So everything I do right now is through the EasyTouch panel.

The only thing I have ever knowingly done on the pump setting is to change the speed on Pump 1. When I did this awhile back, it changed the speed right when I change the setting. This time, it did not change the speed.

It sounds like you think there might be some hidden speed or timer settings.

Thanks,
GW

G.W.

Who programmed your ET?

I suspect that there is more than one speed set up.. Let's pretend one circuit is set to 2000 RPM and another is set to 2500 RPM... If you have both speeds selected at the same time, only the fastest one will work..

I am rebuilding a bathroom and my "computer time" is over for the next few hours.. I'll try and get back with you then..

Programming using ScreenLogic and a PC makes sense, and is 10 x easier than trying to use the little 3" LCD.. I highly suggest that you get it installed... It should take you about an hour, maybe two... For now, just install it on your PC..

Thanks,

Jim R.

@Jimrahbe

Ok, I just went back out to the panel. I think you are right about multiple speeds being set up.

I went to settings/ intelliflo and there is a "1/8." When I cycle through these (2/8, etc.), they each have different speeds until you get to 6/8 and they are 1000 rpms after that. 1/8 is 1600 RPMs which is what I was trying to run.

I then pulled up settings/intelliflo/status and it says 2500 RPM. That seems about right for where it is now. So I am trying to figure out how to set it to one speed and get it to stay there.

The company who did the plumbing and the pool service I used to use would have been the two that could have programmed it.

G.W. @GMusic

Ok, here is how it works.. As you noted, you can have 8 speeds.. 1/8 thru 8/8.. If you look at 1/8 you will see that that speed is assigned to a "Circuit"... To turn on that speed, you turn on the circuit.. Each speed has a circuit.. You could have 8 circuits all with the same speed it you want, or each circuit can have its own speed..

For an example as to how this works, look at my ScreenLogic screenshot below

When I am in the Pool mode, the pump runs at 1200
When the Skim Low circuit comes on the pump increases speed to 1500.. When the Skim Low circuit goes off, then the speed will go back to 1200.
When the Skim High circuit comes on, the pump increases speed to 2000. When the Skim High circuit goes off it will go back to 1500 if skim low is on, or 1200 if only the pool is on.
When the Waterfall circuit comes on, a valve turns on the waterfall, and the pump increases speed to 2800... (Same as above)

The pump will only do what you tell it.. You have to look at what is "scheduled" to see what the system will do automatically...

Scheduling...

I run my pump 24/7 at 1200 RPM and just turn on the other circuits as needed. To run the pump 24/7, the schedule is set to 8 am until 8am...

Here is another example.. I have my waterfall come on at 9 am for 15 minutes each day just to keep the pipe chlorinated... To do that, several thing need to happen..
1. The waterfall circuit needs to be set up.
2. Waterfall is assigned a speed of 2800
3. Waterfall is assigned a valve that controls the water flow (on/off)
4. Waterfall is scheduled on at 9 am and off at 9:15 am..

Please let me know if you have any other questions..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you Jim.

Great info on the circuits. I will figure out how to turn on the right circuit.

I need ScreenLogic. Badly. Once I have that, I think everything will become much more efficient. I do want to have some different schedules with the pump.

G

Maybe totally unrelated to your issue, but here's a piece of information I got from Pentair tech support--who in turn got it from the firmware programming group at Pentair. I have an IntelliConnect controlling an Intelliflo VSF pump. I noticed that at 7pm (Central time) it seemed to shut off and restart. I later discovered that it happened at 11am as well. It turned out that Pentair sends out a time sync at those to times to connected equipment. In the case of the Intelliconnect, that sends an update to the pump(s) which for the Intelliflo VSF causes it to restart. I was told a month ago that they were looking into changing that time sync to once a day. I suggested 2am would be a good time, since many if not most would be off at that time, and there would be no disruption. I've seen today that the 11am/7pm Central is still the sync times.

As I said, may not be relevant, but you never know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.